Print Thread
Hop To
L
lcw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I'm new to the world of crossbows, but Santa is bringing my little girl an excalibur cub. I'm sure there are better deals, but after alot of reading, the warranty and easy string changes were the deciding factor. It comes with a red dot, but I'm thinking the scope will be better for her. I've read about Hawke and the Nikon Bolt scopes and the Nikon gets great reviews. Does anybody have first hand experience with the Nikon or recommend something else. Thanks.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Call Doug at Cameraland. I know he sells and has good deals on Hawke (I use one and they are good scopes with good customer service). I think he may sell Nikon as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Hawke.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
been plumb happy with the Redfield crossbow scope from Doug

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Buy a trophy Ridge XV530IR. Made by hawke and 1/3 the price from the comp scope from hawke. Best deal going right now on an illuminated scope. Also has the yard numbers next to the aiming points so the young (and old) don’t get confused.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
Buy a trophy Ridge XV530IR. Made by hawke and 1/3 the price from the comp scope from hawke. Best deal going right now on an illuminated scope. Also has the yard numbers next to the aiming points so the young (and old) don’t get confused.

I haven't used this scope, BUT it has a feature IMHO that you want on whatever scope you decide buy:

"Compatible with any crossbow with speed adjustments from 205 to 430 fps" - you can set the reticle magnification to match your tested points of impact for your choice of bolts and broadheads.

A lot of the package x-bow scopes are set for the factory bolts and field tips, anything you change in the set-up throws the aiming points off. I've had scopes that didn't match the factory set-up as well.

I have the Redfield Revenge on two x-bows, and like it very much for my needs - it will adjust to anything I launch out out of it.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
😎

Last edited by hanco; 02/14/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have been using Nikon's Bolt XR for a few years now and it is a huge help. The drop style reticle lets us use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to dial in the bolt weight and velocity tro get corresponding distances for each BDC circle. We have used it to shoot apples at 62 yards going 3 for 3.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Screen%20Shot%202018-02-14%20at%209.52.05%20AM.png

L
lcw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Santa brought my daughter a Nikon Bolt with an Excalibur Cub. She shoots it very well. She killed a doe (her 1st deer) this year with a rifle, but she wanted to kill her first buck with the crossbow. We had a couple good opportunities at bucks, but she was too nervous and would not take a shot. She refused to shoot another doe and said her whole body shakes when the bucks walk by. I enjoyed every minute.

Thanks for the recommendations on scopes and both of us are pleased with the Nikon Bolt.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by lcw
Santa brought my daughter a Nikon Bolt with an Excalibur Cub. She shoots it very well. She killed a doe (her 1st deer) this year with a rifle, but she wanted to kill her first buck with the crossbow. We had a couple good opportunities at bucks, but she was too nervous and would not take a shot. She refused to shoot another doe and said her whole body shakes when the bucks walk by. I enjoyed every minute.

Thanks for the recommendations on scopes and both of us are pleased with the Nikon Bolt.

Thats a great story lcw. Similar with my grandson. Little guy gets so excited and shakes so much it's hard for me not to laugh. We'll keep trying, though.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I put a Nikon on my reverse draw RDX compound this year and I am happy with it. I'm not a fan of Nikon rifle scopes, but I kind of like their crossbow scope.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by vabowhntr

I just bought one of these, and I am super happy with it.

$110 on Ebay, and I got another $15 off during their special sale. Can't go wrong.

Bright and clear, with a really nice reticle.

Looks like a well made scope.

Came with aluminum flip up caps, and a nice set of rings.

Thanks for the tip vabowhntr!

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know this an old thread but Nikon has a new scope for your crossbow. I have been using Nikon's BOLT XR for years with great success. a few deer and over a dozen hogs, still no opportunities on a gobbler yet, hopefully, one day soon! One of the best features is being able to utilize Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to dial in longer shots. Easy to set up and with a few shots it is easy to understand how the BDC reticle helps increase your accuracy. I have been doing freelance work with Nikon for almost 10 years now and I have helped a lot of folks choose Nikon's BOLT XR with not one complaint. Nikon just recently made a few changes to this scope and it is now called the P3 Crossbow Scope 3x32 BDC 60. Some nice changes with aluminum capped turrets and laser engraving. Cleaner look and same great function and price. Backed by Nikon's No Fault Warranty too. http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products//riflescopes/prostaff-p3-crossbow-3x32-bdc-60.html

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Bolt%20XR-Crossbow/BoltXR-1.jpg

Last edited by bman940; 07/23/18. Reason: error

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 56 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.