Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I live in Hawaii and I have ordered a Kaps 4 x 36 with #4 reticle at the cost of $631.00 USD. Kaps e mailed me and said my order is being "processed". That was 4 weeks
ago. Their web site informed me that this scope is a 4-6 week waiting period. And do ship to Hawaii.

It is an interesting fixed power in a 30 mm tube, so it probably has more w/e adjustment range.

I own Kahles fixed 4 x 32 and a 4 x 36, they are no longer made, as is the S & B 4 x 36. So I'll try the Kaps. Euro talk groups rank the Kaps close to the S & B and better
than the Meopta in like models. (6 x 42).

I'll let the forum know how the purchase goes.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know several retired military men who were stationed in Germany during their time in the service.They all raved about the Kaps optics...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Invarient, it "looks" bolder. I've got a ffp 3-12 Docter and it looks like a sharpened fence post on 12 power.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
S
S
Originally Posted by tomk
You don't have to imagine it. In very low light whether you lose the finer crosshair of a 2cd plane #4 or the center tip of a 3-post #1, your eye finds center. You can think your way out of it, however..

I also like the #1 3-post with a sharp point, rather than a rounded one. I tend shoot a bit high on game with a #1 but it is not an issue concentrating on a paper target. When the light gets lows enough and the point fades, center matches the horizontal bars. Personally, would like to see the point just below horizontal.

But some of us have to be re-trained after every coffee break. So I do prefer a #4, because I can't screw things up in those split second reaction moments hunting whitetails...:)

If a guy learns to use these old mechanical reticles and adjusts power to fit the situation, they are every bit as effective as illumination over most short to medium hunting ranges and possibly more effective at short range in very low light. The old boys knew what they were doing. IMHO, a very fine illuminated dot does have a precision advantage at longer yardages than the mechanical stuff in poor light.

My humble apologies, tomk; by 'imagine' I meant 'your eye finds center', and it does, being a neatness Nazi.

Not so sure about your liking of sharp pickets in #1 reticles, though. Within my largish collection of scopes with #1 reticles, only some have the picket tip centrally located on the thickness of the sidebars. More seem to have the tip line up with the upper edge of the sidebars, which can droop over time, unfortunately.

Obviously my education has been neglected, as I have never seen a #1 picket with a rounded top. My favourites do have a blunt picket, however, but not so blunt I can't shoot sub-MoA groups with them on occasion. I like having the blunt picket top central to the sidebar thickness, because sidebar tops then become a useful reference for mid-range shots where the impact may be three or four inches high.

I agree with you on the utility of these old reticles. Being one who worries about the erosion of ethics posed by electronics in hunting, I think that when you can no longer see the top of a (blunt) #1 reticle against your target, maybe it's time to go home for supper.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Leupold is rounded...next to Leica's ...

Zeiss #11 was a neat reticle with the center's top at center of horizontal

Been dinking around with a #2 Zeiss, but it just isn't as thrilling as I thought it might be... they all work fine considering where we came from--would have been interesting to read the reasoning from the designers

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make sure and double check the eye relief if it could be a problem.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.