Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
A friend and I are considering doing a hunt in Australia. With the current anti-gun climate I am hearing about Australia what is the difficulty of importing a rifle to hunt if any?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's my understanding that it works like this. In order to bring a rifle into Australia you would need to be booked with a licensed outfitter. The rifle is placed on their firearms license for the duration of the hunt then removed when the gun leaves the country. A DIY "bring your own rifle" hunt isn't possible. You can bring in archery equipment without any restrictions.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What kind of varmits you folks got over there?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
18 milj. Feral cats, 23 milj. Feral pigs, 7 milj. Foxes .... Not counting camels, rabbits and goats! Cane toads! Please come shoot cane toads!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sandpit

5 million + Donkeys!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Porker
Cane toads! Please come shoot cane toads!

I'm having a 404 Jeffery built right now, enough gun?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Porker
18 milj. Feral cats, 23 milj. Feral pigs, 7 milj. Foxes .... Not counting camels, rabbits and goats! Cane toads! Please come shoot cane toads!

how do you cook them cane toads, and how do they taste? like chicken? grin

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought you guys had wild dogs, don't they gang up and eat some of that stuff? You need to import a few hundred Canadian and Alaskan wolves. They know how to eat up and would chow down on about all of your critters. Those donkeys, pigs and goats would go first. I am sure they could handle the young camels and would be more then happy to kill any thing they can chew on.

Get some Honey Badgers for the toads and snakes. They are a fascinating critter to me.

The heat would probably do the wolves in though.............

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The cane toads have poison glands on them and there is only one type of predator that is immune to it. Unfortunately it is a small snake and it can only eat one toad a month.

We have got some wild dogs - the native dingo and domestic dogs gone feral. For the most part there are not large numbers of either.

Not that you are allowed to hunt them but Great White sharks are prevalent around the coast line. Luckily you don't have to worry about them in Darwin because the crocs eat them grin

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 03/02/18.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I thought you guys had wild dogs, don't they gang up and eat some of that stuff? You need to import a few hundred Canadian and Alaskan wolves. They know how to eat up and would chow down on about all of your critters. Those donkeys, pigs and goats would go first. I am sure they could handle the young camels and would be more then happy to kill any thing they can chew on.

Get some Honey Badgers for the toads and snakes. They are a fascinating critter to me.

The heat would probably do the wolves in though.............

Bringing in animals to control other pests is what got us the cane toads in the first place. They were brought in to control the beetles which were eating sugar cane.

I don't think we'd fall for making the same mistake again.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The cane toads have poison glands on them and there is only one type of predator that is immune to it. Unfortunately it is a small snake and it can only eat one toad a month.

Evidently meat ants are immune too, and swarm over and kill them, and there's a few other animals which eat them or their tadpoles, and survive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 17 HMR toad safari could be a hoot.

I’d require some native porters and a large quantity of gin!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had more trouble getting my guns out of Australia than in. Given enough time and some gentle prodding and reminding they eventually get around to printing your permits. On arrival they will photo-copy everything in sight and send a very friendly 1/2 hour doing god knows what. There was some outfitter information on the NT permit application, but I don't remember any of that on the SA form.

Oddly; on the way out its like they've never seen a rifle or a piece of paper before. If I do an export permit in one province, they'll want it done again on exit from a different one. Wait until the departure location and they will ask why I didn't do it in the province I was hunting in. Air-port customs/ security will send you to the customs house, the customs house will direct you to the airport. Wherever you are, the "only person who know" won't be there, but always seems to be available by phone. Funny thing is there isn't anything on the export application other than identity, address, serial numbers, flight info and value. Same form everywhere near as I can tell. Why the export permit isn't issued with import permit is beyond me.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
I've had more trouble getting my guns out of Australia than in. Given enough time and some gentle prodding and reminding they eventually get around to printing your permits. On arrival they will photo-copy everything in sight and send a very friendly 1/2 hour doing god knows what. There was some outfitter information on the NT permit application, but I don't remember any of that on the SA form.

Oddly; on the way out its like they've never seen a rifle or a piece of paper before. If I do an export permit in one province, they'll want it done again on exit from a different one. Wait until the departure location and they will ask why I didn't do it in the province I was hunting in. Air-port customs/ security will send you to the customs house, the customs house will direct you to the airport. Wherever you are, the "only person who know" won't be there, but always seems to be available by phone. Funny thing is there isn't anything on the export application other than identity, address, serial numbers, flight info and value. Same form everywhere near as I can tell. Why the export permit isn't issued with import permit is beyond me.

Because that would be too easy silly!

Just be lucky you didn't have to deal with any local coppers who seem to make up rules based on their own personal view of firearms.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
At least they were friendly; I always had the feeling that they were moments away from asking us to go out for a few beers. wink

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
At least they were friendly; I always had the feeling that they were moments away from asking us to go out for a few beers. wink

Umm, just so you know for future reference "asking us to go out for a few beers" is definitely not the same as "go to the pub for a few beers".

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
PLZ CLARIFY Umm, just so you know for future reference "asking us to go out for a few beers" is definitely not the same as "go to the pub for a few beers".

THANKS IN ADVANCE
ABLE

I see four more years of economic stagnation and high unemployment if Obama is reelected. He lies every time he opens his mouth. "The GREAT DECEIVER"! Scary prospect.Worst president EVER.
UPS HAS ROTTEN CUSTOMER SERVICE, THIS I HAVE EXPERIENCED

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ABLE
PLZ CLARIFY Umm, just so you know for future reference "asking us to go out for a few beers" is definitely not the same as "go to the pub for a few beers".

THANKS IN ADVANCE
ABLE

One is asked to "go out" if one is a prospect, one "goes to the pub" for a beer.

Translation:

1 = sore arse.
2 = few beers with mates.

Kind of pays to watch who you get drunk with.

Last edited by JSTUART; 04/01/18.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Liberals.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
S
Originally Posted by las

Liberals.

Ha Ha!

Do I glean from the question that sandpit might be inquiring on the assumption game seasons could be closed? If so, I can tell you there is no closed season for most deer species in Victoria, at least. We generally don't hunt them much in the summer because the stags usually have no antlers then but it can be hot, the snakes are out, the leaf litter is like walking on corn flakes and you often can't light a fire. If there is fire, it may be the worst kind of forest fire in the world, because of the oil in the eucalyptus leaves.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
227 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 26 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.