Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by centershot
Well I just joined the club. Been toting an old M70 30Gov't06 around the hills for the last 30+ years and thought maybe something under 10# would be nice to pack over hill and dale. Well a Black Friday sale at the local D&B supply took 10% off an already decent 729.99 for a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM. $656 was a little too good to pass up so I decided to give the new fangled 6.5 a try. Have not really done much but shoot a couple rounds to see if it went bang or not. Will to do testing and reloading and see what happens. I have until next Oct. to figure it out and always can fall back on the old M70. All I'm really after is a 1/4 mile or less deer killer and maybe and occasional elk (if I could ever draw a decent tag). Be nice to keep 3 under an inch at 100 yds, half that would be outstanding. Time will tell.

I think that your worst ammo will stay under an inch. I will bet that you will be happy with that rifle and it WILL smuck deer to 400 just fine. I have not put a load through mine yet, that it does not like.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Well I just joined the club. Been toting an old M70 30Gov't06 around the hills for the last 30+ years and thought maybe something under 10# would be nice to pack over hill and dale. Well a Black Friday sale at the local D&B supply took 10% off an already decent 729.99 for a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM. $656 was a little too good to pass up so I decided to give the new fangled 6.5 a try. Have not really done much but shoot a couple rounds to see if it went bang or not. Will to do testing and reloading and see what happens. I have until next Oct. to figure it out and always can fall back on the old M70. All I'm really after is a 1/4 mile or less deer killer and maybe and occasional elk (if I could ever draw a decent tag). Be nice to keep 3 under an inch at 100 yds, half that would be outstanding. Time will tell.

I think that your worst ammo will stay under an inch. I will bet that you will be happy with that rifle and it WILL smuck deer to 400 just fine. I have not put a load through mine yet, that it does not like.

Creed will kill a WT or a hog about as dead as the old '06.

After years of using an '06, I think one will be pleasantly surprised at how accurate random factory ammo will shoot in a low cost, factory Creed rifle.

I don't think you can take an '06 off the rack, pick up a few random boxes of factory ammo and expect MOA or better across the board. Now, I can reload sub MOA '06 ammo without much trouble. But, I'm talking factory ammo/factory rifles. Creed wins.

I have twice as many '06's than Creeds, 2:1... wink

Like'em all.

DF

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Really enjoyed the video. Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by sbhooper

Creed will kill a WT or a hog about as dead as the old '06.

After years of using an '06, I think one will be pleasantly surprised at how accurate random factory ammo will shoot in a low cost, factory Creed rifle.

I don't think you can take an '06 off the rack, pick up a few random boxes of factory ammo and expect MOA or better across the board. Now, I can reload sub MOA '06 ammo without much trouble. But, I'm talking factory ammo/factory rifles. Creed wins.

I have twice as many '06's than Creeds, 2:1... wink

Like'em all.

DF

Never killed WT or a Hog. Mule Deer, Elk, Moose, Coyotes a few other things I'm sure - but not the regulars for most. lol. I like to hand load - half the fun is working up a good round. But, having a factory good factory load to fall back on is always nice. Reloading and testing will give me something to do until next fall. If I can get this CM to shoot like that old 30-06 w/ 52gr of 4064 and 150gr SP's I'll be a happy camper.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, I’m a reloader and agree.

But head to head, factory guns/factory ammo, put your money on the Creed.

Safe bet.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
You fellers are going to talk me into one of those new fangled Creemores.

Well, if'n you ain't got one, you ain't got schitt................................of course you knew that.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Well, if'n you ain't got one, you ain't got schitt................................of course you knew that.

MM

Chit in one hand crapmore in the other..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Take your Crapmore and stuff it...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

John, I passed over these posts for a long time. Finally starting reading about the CM. It made a lot of ballistic sense. I bought a Tikka, and was thoroughly impressed with factories and handloads. Now have a Kimber Montana that is very accurate - without any modifications other than a Leupy and Talleys. Add a little R-16 and a 140gr. Acc or a 143 ELD-X and you are good to go.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/28/18.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

John, I passed over these posts for a long time. Finally starting reading about the CM. It made a lot of ballistic sense. I bought a Tikka, and was thoroughly impressed with factories and handloads. Now have a Kimber Montana that is very accurate - without any modifications other than a Leupy and Talleys. Add a little R-16 and a 140gr. Acc or a 143 ELD-X and you are good to go.

Careful with that CM testimonial...

You may have to give equal time to a 270 just to balance the Karma...

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

It sounds a little to good to be true. grin

How can a little 6.5mm kill elk?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by swampkid
Really enjoyed the video. Thanks

Looks doctored to me.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/29/18.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

What are the specs on the AR-10-ish rifle?

I have a LaRue LT-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor and it's scary accurate.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
John,

That's built on the G2 pattern.

Pretty much an AR-15 that uses the LR308/Sr-25 pattern mags for the .308 sized rounds.

5.56 on the left and 6.5 CM on the right configured the same. 4 Oz of weight difference.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a WY-12?

Just looked on your website.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
John,

Pretty much an AR-15 that uses the LR308/Sr-25 pattern mags for the .308 sized rounds.

5.56 on the left and 6.5 CM on the right configured the same. 4 Oz of weight difference.

[Linked Image]

You gotta' love those rails, they can turn your gun into something really useful...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel
John,

[Linked Image]

You gotta' love those rails, they can turn your gun into something really useful...

[Linked Image]

laugh

I want one of those... grin

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a WY-12?

Just looked on your website.

Yes.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snake oil clearance sale?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by starsky
Snake oil clearance sale?

Pretty funny when someone attending a State University.... makes comments about “snake oil”. How much were those first couple years of tuition, you know, the classes you already took for free in high school then had to take again (and pay for)?

We all place value on different things. I’ve run a couple of John’s WYO-ARs... they’re the most impressive Krunchentickers I’ve ever shot... hands down. Worth the money to me? No way.... but they certainly aren’t “snake oil”.... just too expensive for my taste.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those are fine Ars. I have handled one in person, while visiting my cousin in Cody. If a guy has the money to spend, and the desire for a truly quality rifle, then they are about as good as it gets for the AR. I am just not a super-fan of the platform. I like my accurate bolt rifles.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.