Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All,

There is a pretty devastating fire chewing on Redding, CA, a strongly conservative area in northern California. 48,000 acres burned in three days, 122 structures, mostly homes, lost. One of our "Fire members, a Vietnam veteran, lives near there and those of of us who know have been worried as he has not returned phone calls or pms until today.

He just sent me this:

"Tracy,
Thanks for thinking of us. We are safe for now. We live 5 miles east of I-5, and about 10 miles east of any ground fires. Our home is affected by lots of smoke and falling ash. Hot embers are a concern, and the folks in our area are being very watchful for possible spot fires. The amount of assets (firefighters, trucks, dozers, and aircraft) pouring into the area are unbelievable. Even the 747 bomber is here now.

Three months ago I started working for a medical transport company driving a wheelchair van. We have been working 18 hour days, or more, the last several days taking patients out of the evacuation zones. Our company has a dozen vans. We worked all night long Thursday night evacuating 139 Alzheimer's patients from a large facility, about 30% of which were in wheelchairs. I got to get a good night's sleep last night for the first time in days. They insisted that I take the day off today to rest. I go back on duty tomorrow morning at 5:00AM.

We have my wife's car loaded with important files and documents and a few suitcases packed and ready to go should we have to evacuate on short notice, and full gas tanks. We have some friends on the west side of town that have lost their homes. I evacuated one family with Grandma in a wheelchair that wound up losing their home. Very sad. The thought of losing almost everything, and a lifetime of mementos and heirlooms is hard to think about.

I have been contacted by a couple of other Campfire friends, also, checking on us. I have been too busy to spend any time on the Campfire lately. I will take a look now and if I see somebody asking about me, I will probably cut-and-paste this message for others to see.

Thanks, again, Tracy. I respect the work you do, also, being a watchdog for the good people in our society. Take care and stay safe. Hi to the girls.

Milo"

Nifty-250 is a lot closer to 70 than he is to 60 and he still "answers the call".

I am grateful to know him and guys like him that I have met through the "Fire. This man I praise is lot like many of you and I thank you for care for your families and our country.

Hugs your kids and tell your parents that you love them.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Inspiring post, thanks to both of you.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Godspeed!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by geedubya
Godspeed!

ya!

GWB

This

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I enjoyed that!!!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Applause for Nifty!!

Ranger, thanks for the update.

Others reading this, latest is over 80,000 acres and 500 structures destroyed.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My respects.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The people who gravitate to this site are like that. I have yet to meet even a slightly below average one, and I've met dozens of fire members.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Applause for Nifty!!

Ranger, thanks for the update.

Others reading this, latest is over 80,000 acres and 500 structures destroyed.

Geno

Damn.

I hope they are making progress on containment.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not good, I'll update that when the news lets us know. I just posted more bad news on the other thread. Very sad news.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the folks on the community information dais just said it's still only 5% contained. Crews are working hot spots along with maintaining exterior fire lines. Another question about it getting into populated areas on the East and North fronts was answered with 'We're pretty confident" we have that aspect covered, lots of resources there.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
God, I hope they can stop it. I lived like that last October stopped a fire about ten miles from my house. and a legion of firetrucks and bulldozers

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
I enjoyed that!!!

Me too.

Good folks answering the call.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the folks on the community information dais just said it's still only 5% contained. Crews are working hot spots along with maintaining exterior fire lines. Another question about it getting into populated areas on the East and North fronts was answered with 'We're pretty confident" we have that aspect covered, lots of resources there.

Geno

Don't know what happened there to post this twice?

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/28/18. Reason: WHat happened ?

In it is contentment

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My son went up there 3 days ago, we took his kids camping and just got home.

His assignment yesterday was for housing protection, and it turned out his wife's cousin's home was in the area they were protecting. They got word they needed to vacate as the fire was surrounding them and if they didn't get out soon, their only escape route would be on fire. I believe within 5 hours the wife's cousin lost their home. This is the 3rd time my son has been at a fire, and they needed to get out ASAP. The last one was bad, they got about 500 yards past one home on their rapid evacuation, drove by homes starting to get engulfed, and this one had a propane tank and the house literally explode in fire.This was over in Napa.

I did see before he left it was reported to be 25% contained, then they realized that it was really 10% contained and why they were sent north. Now it is 5% contained!

My son in law went to LA area the same day, not sure which fire but my son is on the Carr fire.

Prayers for those who live there, and working to stop the fires.

Allen

F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
I know Kommiefornia gets BASHed and deservedly so but there at MILLIONS of good patriotic US Citizens in this state.

Obviously one of them on this very site named Milo.

Last edited by FatCity67; 07/28/18.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep,

Deplorables are good folks...

Snowflakes wouldn't know how to fight a fire.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good post, RG.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
All,

There is a pretty devastating fire chewing on Redding, CA, a strongly conservative area in northern California. 48,000 acres burned in three days, 122 structures, mostly homes, lost. One of our "Fire members, a Vietnam veteran, lives near there and those of of us who know have been worried as he has not returned phone calls or pms until today.

He just sent me this:

"Tracy,
Thanks for thinking of us. We are safe for now. We live 5 miles east of I-5, and about 10 miles east of any ground fires. Our home is affected by lots of smoke and falling ash. Hot embers are a concern, and the folks in our area are being very watchful for possible spot fires. The amount of assets (firefighters, trucks, dozers, and aircraft) pouring into the area are unbelievable. Even the 747 bomber is here now.

Three months ago I started working for a medical transport company driving a wheelchair van. We have been working 18 hour days, or more, the last several days taking patients out of the evacuation zones. Our company has a dozen vans. We worked all night long Thursday night evacuating 139 Alzheimer's patients from a large facility, about 30% of which were in wheelchairs. I got to get a good night's sleep last night for the first time in days. They insisted that I take the day off today to rest. I go back on duty tomorrow morning at 5:00AM.

We have my wife's car loaded with important files and documents and a few suitcases packed and ready to go should we have to evacuate on short notice, and full gas tanks. We have some friends on the west side of town that have lost their homes. I evacuated one family with Grandma in a wheelchair that wound up losing their home. Very sad. The thought of losing almost everything, and a lifetime of mementos and heirlooms is hard to think about.

I have been contacted by a couple of other Campfire friends, also, checking on us. I have been too busy to spend any time on the Campfire lately. I will take a look now and if I see somebody asking about me, I will probably cut-and-paste this message for others to see.

Thanks, again, Tracy. I respect the work you do, also, being a watchdog for the good people in our society. Take care and stay safe. Hi to the girls.

Milo"

Nifty-250 is a lot closer to 70 than he is to 60 and he still "answers the call".

I am grateful to know him and guys like him that I have met through the "Fire. This man I praise is lot like many of you and I thank you for care for your families and our country.

Hugs your kids and tell your parents that you love them.

yet those who know Milo, its amazing what a humble and wonderful guy he is......

but I know a lot of other campfire members face to face... and if the same happened in their area.. they would be out there anyway they could... just like Milo....

Milo knows we're proud of him and are rooting for him and his fellow drivers....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks, Tracy - it's great to hear Milo is OK.
We've been worried about, and praying for, him - and all who are affected.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.