Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Can anyone please provide a trigger adjustment procedure for the Browning B78?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took mine to my friendly gunsmith at Gander (dude REALLY needs his own shop). He cussed some but my trigger feels much cleaner.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think that I have it somewhere, but I will have to look for it. What sort of problem are you having? If if is working, you might not want to mess with it. This trigger is never going to have a great feel or very light pull.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not, Jerry? Is it impossible to do, or something?
_

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The browning 78 trigger has to be one of the worst systems I hav ever seen or worked on. Kind of a classic example of what can happen if you just turn an engineer loose on something without limiting the number of pieces he can use. I was never able to get what I would call a "good" trigger pull using the adjustments provided. I was able to disable the trigger however! Canjar made a replacement which had half the parts and worked fairly well but was very difficult to install and adjust. Even the Canjar replacement had to be honed to work properly. It was hard to get it right because the trigger housing distorted when the buttstock screw was tightened. Miserable.
The Browning 78 should have been a great rifle but that stupid trigger system made it impossible.
It is possible to lighten the trigger by backing off the weight-of pull adjustment but the pull will always feel spongy and vague. GD

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, that's why.

I hate spongy and vague.
_

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
but they are not all bad!, I own two and while one has a slightly better trigger pull that the other they are both cleen and crisp altho slightly heavier than ideal, yeah I had them worked on by the guys at one of the larger custom gunshops when they were both re-barreled to 28" #3 300 wby

Last edited by 340mag; 03/09/07.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a couple that have the Canjar trigger and a couple that have the stock trigger. The Canjars are better, but one of them must not be installed quite right because if you work the lever too fast, it doesn't cock the hammer. I will have to take it apart and look at it one of these years.

On the stock ones, one of them came to me with the half-cock safety not working. This is why I had to investigate the trigger. I had to take the stock off to see what was happening. There are four adjustments. The one beside the trigger is supposed to be for pull weight, but it really doesn't do much. The screw behind the trigger with two holes in it is for take up. The other two are sear and overtravel, but I will have to find my notes to remember which is which. You can get it so the trigger won't release, or the safety doesn't work pretty easily.

I suspect the feel could be improved by polishing the surfaces, but I have never taken one that far apart.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
M
MDA Offline
M
One thing to keep in mind is that the trigger on the B-78 is a 2 stage, so it does feel different then a standard single stage trigger. Once I became used to the feel I actually prefer it on the 3 B-78s I have.
Mike

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.