Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Heading out September 8th for my first trip to Africa. Limpopo area to be exact. Any specific type of boots or footwear recommended for a trip like this? I typically wear Lacrosse Alpha Burlys for most of my deer hunting. Obviously, that will not be real suitable for this trip. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Randall

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Danner Pronghorns have worked perfectly for me.Three trips.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Any good quality hiking boot should be fine. You won't need "insulation" but you might want to invest in some gaitors to keep the seeds and ticks out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like something that is softer than a hiking boot sole. In the Limpopo you will probably do a lot of stalking and in September it is usually dry. Something like a Clark's desert boot that has a crepe sole has worked for me or even running shoes work. Just make sure they are broken in and support your feet properly.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used these. I purchased them 6 months before the trip breaking them in by wearing daily. No issues, no blisters, no hot spots. I paired them with Danner wool blended socks. Feet were comfortable the entire trip. Other than moccasins, for lounging around the camp, they were the only boot I took.

http://www.danner.com/453-5-5-dark-tan.html

Dave

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No need to overthink the boot thing!
I will be going back to Africa the 4th time, this August. Will be wearing the same Keen Targhee II boots I wore three trips and 10 years ago, and on nearly every hunt since then here in the US. Just make sure whatever you choose is broken in and comfortable, as you will be spending a lot of time with them on your feet.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have used both a lightweight Salomon boot and a heavier Merrell. The merrells are waterproof which can be nice for some days depending on exactly what you are hunting or if you are near water for stalking. X2 on the gaiters. I just got back from my second trip to Africa and AGAIN forgot to take gaiters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pancho1
Any good quality hiking boot should be fine. You won't need "insulation" but you might want to invest in some gaitors to keep the seeds and ticks out.

Good advice.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have use Courtney boots for years. Made in Zim, but available in the US. I wear one pair on the airplane in case the luggage gets lost or delayed (you don't want to be without your boots). Pack a second pair in my luggage so they can be rotated or in case one pair gets wets. Have used Russell PH boots as well, but prefer the Courtney's. A pair of cheap sneakers work well as "camp shoes".

As Pancho I posted, any good quality uninsulated hiking boot will work. My wife wears Ecco's. Her pair of Courtney's didn't work for her. Gaiters are a useful accessory.

Good hunting!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My choice in boots or shoes has evolved and probably will continue to. I've used Merrill, New Balance, Danner boots and even Nike shoes.

For now, I want no insulation, no Gore-tex, leather upper and a quiet sole.

This year I'm going to try the Merrill version of a desert boot and a Georgia Boot chukka.

But I've got some arthritis in my right foot so I may be pickier than others! Lol!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks guys. I’m definitely going to check out the Danner boots.

On another note the guys who are recommending gaiters can you give a little more info on them? I’ve always wore a neck gaiters in the extreme cold but not familiar with legs gaiters. Thanks a bunch for all of the responses!

Randall

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will typically see the PHs wearing shorts, low-top footwear and short gaiters to protect the ankles and lower legs from vines, thorns etc. I always wear boots that cover those areas so I don't bother with gaiters. The only gaiters I wear on occasion are snake gaitors when I'm hunting in Texas' rattlesnake country.

T.S.

Last edited by TexasShooter; 07/19/18.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
T
T
We did not wear gaiters but before we packed out luggage in the states we sprayed all of our clothing with permethrin. It is suppose to last 6 washings. My wife nor I found a tick on either us. Our Ph's had a lot of ticks on them. We took prescriptions of Doxycycline--never had to use it.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Definitely do not forget to take a pair of camp shoes. Being in your boots all day and taking them off for the day to shower and eat dinner is a good feeling. Don't be afraid to take a pair or two of old shoes with you to leave with the trackers, if you have room. Footwear goes a long way with those people.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I also used these recently in Zim. (Keen Targhee II boots) They worked well.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bighorn
No need to overthink the boot thing!
I will be going back to Africa the 4th time, this August. Will be wearing the same Keen Targhee II boots I wore three trips and 10 years ago, and on nearly every hunt since then here in the US. Just make sure whatever you choose is broken in and comfortable, as you will be spending a lot of time with them on your feet.

I'll second this. I took a nice pair of Filson Bird shooters over once...NOT the right boot! Comfy but made me sweat. Now I use uninsulated Danner boots ( the kind the military uses) They breathe and they are very comfortable.

Many times in Africa I just wore my running type shoes, sometimes sealing the tops with duct tape to keep seeds and thorns out, real classy, but it worked!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will reiterate what has already been said.

Go light and comfortable, I would not take insulated or waterproof, unless you are going to be around a lot of water which is normally rare in Africa.

I have used my Meindl hikers with gore tex both times I have been over because they are comfortable and well broken in. But they were more than needed, and hot. I took gaiters both times and never used them. I think the gaiters would have been nice had I worn my low cut hiking shoes. Definitely needed if wearing shorts. Typically pants help keep most of the stuff out with hikers.

Definitely take a pair of camp shoes, I like Chaco sandals but whatever is super comfortable for you will work.

Treat your clothes with permethrin, just go to the pharmacy and buy the generic head lice spray. It will say permethrin on the label, have never had an issue when using it.

Have FUN!

Arcus Venator
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wore Merrel approach shoes for my last hunt (in the Limpopo) no problems at all. Previous two trips wore light seal skin boots we bought in Namibia again no issues. I would side with the lighter the better comments stated above.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Justin Lacer Work Boots that I wear for everyday use around here.

He went over yonder way
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the input guys! Finally was able to get away to Sportsman’s Warehouse and Cabela’s today. After trying on about 8 different pairs of boots i settled on the Danner 453. They felt the lightest, most agile and most comfortable of the bunch. I felt like the pronghorns were probably the best quality built out of the ones i tried but they were also bulky and heavy feeling. Guess i’ll Start wearing these to work a couple days a week for the next 5 weeks or so to attempt to get them broken in.

Ohh almost forgot to mention i got them on sale at Cabela’s for $135 and then was able to use Cabela’s point to the tune of another $70 so i got out the door for less than $80!

Thanks again for all the input!

Randall

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.