Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
As these electronic items change constantly, what is out there that is simple and reliable these days? I'm still a topo map/compass guy, but would be interested to see what folks are using. Would the remoteness of Alaska prevent some of these from receiving signals? Thanks for your input.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As a matter of fact in a couple days I’m ordering the Montana. I was himhawing over the 64 , the Oregon and the Montana. My wife and I drove to bass pro in Louisville to compare the O and the M. We left locked in on the M.
I’m still in route home from northern Canada fishing trip and just got internet service. One of my friends has a 64 series until that he used while we trolled for lake trout. I looked it over for about ten seconds and have concluded my search. It will be the Montana.
I’m 54 yoa and my eyes are not what they once were. I did not have any friends with units for me to ‘coon finger’ while making my decision.
My needs may be different than yours but I’m locked in now.
Happy shopping!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Montana with a HuntX chip. The chip is great but it does have 1 fault - while it shows trails it doesn't differentiate between hiking and ATV trails. That would be very useful. We use it for ATV riding and too many times we've arrived at a trailhead and found it closed to ATVs.
The Montana is a bit bulkier than some of the others but the large screen is a big help. It has features that I've never used, but what electronic gizmo doesn't. The version I have only comes in camo which I don't like. I'd prefer orange to make it easier to find. Even black would be better than camo.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you for the input.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you're from Alaska, you will undoubtably be using it at some time in the snow. If you choose the Montana, see if it will work with the gloves you wear - if not, the pushbuttons on the GPSmap 64 will make a difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As far as the GPS functions the Oregon, Montana and 64s do the same thing and one is as good as the other. The more expensive versions have other features such as camera's and the ability to share info wirelessly with other devices. One even has 2 way radio capability. Some have bigger screens, some are touch screen and others use buttons.

In theory the 64s is more rugged and dependable. The external antenna is supposed to pick up the satellites better in heavy cover or in steep canyons. And the push buttons can be used wearing gloves. The touch screens not so. I have and use a 64s and the Oregon 600. They are very similar except the Oregon is touch screen and has an internal antenna. I've used both in very thick canopy here in GA, FL, TN, SC, NC, and AL. I've never had an issue with either one.

The Montana is a bigger version of the Oregon and the bigger screen is probably helpful. I'm at the stage where I need my readers on to see any of them. All are good. It just depends on which features are more important and your budget. The 64s can often be picked up on sale much cheaper than the others. But for those used to touch screen phones they take a little practice to learn how to use.

Would the remoteness of Alaska prevent some of these from receiving signals?

I don't think so. Unlike cell service the signals are from satellites orbiting the earth. One advantage of using the newer versions is that they lock onto both USA and Soviet satellites which greatly improves speed and accuracy. The more satellites you're accessing the greater the accuracy. Older GPS units only used USA satellites.

Last edited by JMR40; 07/30/18.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok, more good info. Thanks

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No matter which GPS you end up with, use it and become familiar with it. I have several Garmin's and like them all.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure this applies to most units, but it sure does to the Montana. The screen is polarized. When I'm wearing polarized sunglasses, I have to hold it horizontally or the screen blacks out. Polarization does that.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Garmin, and get some good rechargeable batteries and a land owner chip. I'm not going to suggest which garmin, because there are many good ones out there, whether it is the Oregon, or Montana model you'll have to pick which one has the features you are looking for. Good luck with it and always remember to bring your map and compass as a back up...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
OnX hunt for the iPhone for me.

Your phone has a much better processor, resolution and battery than any handheld GPS. These apps do NOT require cell phone service to use as your phone has a GPS receiver in it. You can turn your phone to airplane mode which stops is from searching for a cell tower and the battery will go 5 or 6 days of constant use.

Oh yea...they are also cheaper and much much easier to use...and easy to charge. One less thing to pack as well

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are a compass and map guy, get the one that will give you bearing and distance to where you want to go. The rest is only to confuse you and not really necessary.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reba
If you are a compass and map guy, get the one that will give you bearing and distance to where you want to go. The rest is only to confuse you and not really necessary.

The Montana does that very well.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Reba

I'm not sure I agree. I'm a compass and map guy, and my GPS is one with no graphics. Last year I was hiking cross country with a guy who had a GPS app on his cell phone, it showed our position on a topo map and our progress toward our objective, I thought it was really slick, might get that app.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Smart phone and OnX is far and away the best I've used....

No comparison...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GregW
Smart phone and OnX is far and away the best I've used....

No comparison...

What's the battery life like using the OnX chip and a smart phone? My phone doesn't do very good when it doesn't have a cell connection but the problem may be the phone.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Airplane mode it. And you can download offline maps that can be used. I also carry a very lightweight solar charger.

Solar charger, phone, onX and Delorme inReach and I'm good anywhere for a long time. Also it gives my wife peace of mind as I hunt solo a lot...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The OnX on the phone is pretty cool. Very user friendly, since it is a device you use all the time anyway.

I break way too many phones to ever trust one, but I use it as a backup. Then again, being without a GPS wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Garmin products for years. In the last couple years I've used both the Oregon and Montana. The Oregon is smaller, lighter, the Monatna is bigger, bulkier but I like the larger screen. I've used my Droid and Onyx quite a bit and it works. I dont like the battery life of the phone-onyx combo. I've defaulted to the Montana for its features, longer and replaceable batteries,
and larger screen although I hate the bulk.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GregW
Airplane mode it. And you can download offline maps that can be used. I also carry a very lightweight solar charger.

Solar charger, phone, onX and Delorme inReach and I'm good anywhere for a long time. Also it gives my wife peace of mind as I hunt solo a lot...

I mostly use my phone for pics, I guess I'm behind the times. I use the Garmin version of the inReach and have a solar charger and occasionally take a Rav Power portable charger. I also solo hunt most of the time and my wife likes to get texts from me in the evening letting her know that I'm ok, so the inReach is on the "don't leave home without it" list.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 42 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.