Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My son recently bought a 3" Pro-Series M60 and took it out yesterday for the first time. Shooting factory 38 Special +P's the lock partially engaged on round 15 disabling the gun. When he bought it a week ago I sent him a link for "The Plug". One is en route.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Glad you sent him the information on the plug. Yes it still happens. Sounds like he needs to pull the lock, before he get's the plug. smile Those are nice guns though.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yousa.

Never seen one lock. That sucks.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One of the posters over on the S&W Forums reported the same thing a couple of weeks ago with one of his newly purchased J-frames...

I have close to 50 Smiths...only two have a lock, a 686-7 .38 Super and a 4" 500. Only have them because they never made those models without a lock. Both still have the IL in them but they are just "range guns". If I was ever going to carry them the IL would be removed.

If someone ever gets into a defensive situation and has a gun with an IL lock on them, they will own S&W as they know about the problem and refuse to address it....

Bib

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And if you start a thread about lock problems on the S&W forum you will be ostracized and the thread will be locked or deleted.
They don't want to hear it!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have several J Frame Smiths with the lock. For me, it's a non issue. Many rounds through a number of different revolvers with no issues.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have several J Frame Smiths with the lock. For me, it's a non issue. Many rounds through a number of different revolvers with no issues.

Same here. Would rather the lock not be there, but it is, and they are still much better than Rugers.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mannlicher & EdM: I recently returned from a sojourn south thru Idaho and to Utah.
EVERY Smith & Wesson revolver I saw, in every retail store I stopped at, was displayed with the dreaded "J"lock/hildabeast lock hidden (on the bottom side of the lying down gun)!
EVER ONE... and I bet I saw nearly 200 of them!
The word is getting out and about, that the dufus "J"lock/hildabeast lock has greatly diminished new Smith & Wesson revolver sales and has severely harmed resale values of "J"lock/hildabeast lock equipped guns!
Sad, and stupid, this.
I have NO idea what Smith & Wesson was/is thinking.
Took the VarmintGrandkids through Ennis, Montana just yesterday and I made a quick gun shop stop - a Smith & Wesson Model 48 with the dreaded "J"lock/hildabeast lock that I have been watching for well over a year now is still there in the display case!
Sad this.
If that pistol would not have been afflicted with the "J"lock/hildabeast lock it would have sold in less than a week - I am certain of that.
I don't need to know the stats on how often the "J"lock/hildabeast lock fails - I have never, and will never, buy a Smith & Wesson so afflicted.
Sorry mistake by the Smith & Wesson folks - they would do well by their company and their investors to realize their mistake and correct it.
Remington did.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EdM
My son recently bought a 3" Pro-Series M60 and took it out yesterday for the first time. Shooting factory 38 Special +P's the lock partially engaged on round 15 disabling the gun. When he bought it a week ago I sent him a link for "The Plug". One is en route.

Yeah, if you're going to support S&W's choice to add these by buying them (They still offer models without the lock), then you should immediately disable it. They're needless accidents waiting to happen, otherwise.

Would you buy a fire extinguisher with a key lock on it?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Yousa.

Never seen one lock. That sucks.

That's what Miculek said.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They can keep their locks and every gun they make with them!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by winchester70
They can keep their locks and every gun they make with them!

Yep, they suck.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
S&W Internal Lock = Hillary Hole.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I have a Scandia frame 4” in 41 mag and the lock will Tye the revolver up every time I shot it Fast double action. I removed the internal lock and no more problems.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For those that are not aware.

https://www.originalprecision.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Savuti
And if you start a thread about lock problems on the S&W forum you will be ostracized and the thread will be locked or deleted.
They don't want to hear it!

Isn't that one of the sites which was recently outed as being owned by anti-gunners? Somebody help me, there was a whole list of them we talked about on here.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have two with the lock. A Model 60 3" and a 686 Plus. Both .357's . They both have been shot a lot.

Never had a problem.

I would prefer them not to have the lock, but I do not loose any sleep over it.

Like someone else said, they still are better than any Ruger. (at least when it comes to the trigger)

Note: I shoot only midrange loads in the Model 60.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Funny but all my new gun DA-revolver money over the last 5+ years has gone to Ruger...

LCR 9mm
LCR .327
GP-100 Match Champion 10mm
Redhawk 4.2" .41 Magnum
Redhawk 2.75" .41 Magnum

The triggers on the two LCRs have a lighter pull and shorter stroke that any S&W J-frame...the grips is also a lot more handfilling and comfortable than most Smiths...

The MC, while not quite as smooth as a stock older GP-100 .357 I have, is just as good as any L-frame I've shot outside a Performance Center gun...

The 4.2" RH has one of the most controllable DA triggers that I have ever shot on any large frame Magnum DA revolver. I shot my smallest 6 shot 50 yard DA group with that gun...

Have to admit I am not happy with the shorter RH. The DA is smooth but breaks late and has a tendency to pinch my trigger finger if I am not careful...

Ruger also supports my favorite calibers... .41 Magnum, 10mm, 9mm and .327...and S&W...one blue .41 Magnum that if you rub the bluing with Hoppe's No. 9 the finish comes off....

They won't be getting any of my new gun money any time soon....

Bob

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...and a question...how come there are now J-frames without the IL?

Can you imagine how many more guns from their "Classic" series Smith would have sold if they had left the IL out...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gibby
I have two with the lock. A Model 60 3" and a 686 Plus. Both .357's . They both have been shot a lot.

Never had a problem.

I would prefer them not to have the lock, but I do not loose any sleep over it.

Like someone else said, they still are better than any Ruger. (at least when it comes to the trigger)

Note: I shoot only midrange loads in the Model 60.
Most of the time when it's reported that one locked up while shooting it's been either a scandium or aluminum framed gun shooting a hard kicking round.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,364
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.