Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Tradition is not always a good thing. The turned-down eyes on hooks and the Turle knot were invented specifically for gut leaders. Gut required a knot that didn't crimp down on itself (like a clinch knot does) but the Turle made the fly ride "cocked" when tied to a straight-eyed hook. So hook makers started turning down the eyes so the Turle knot and gut leader gave a straight pull.

Monofilimant line came along, but hook makers are STILL making fly hooks with turned-down eyes. Even though nobody has used a gut leader in more than seven decades. There's absolutely no need for turned-down fly hooks today, but...

Well, it's tradition.

Turned down eyes on beadheads help keep the hook point up...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's possibly true, SD. By the same reasoning, they would tend to flip dry flies on their back, no?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Turned down eyes on a split wing double, which is what we traditionally use for half-pounder steelhead on the Rogue, work a bit like the front edge of a "Hot Shot" / Flatfish / Quick Fish lure dragging the fly to a fairly consitent depth underwater which just happens to be the fish's favorite biting depth. This whole new-fangled bead-head shyte .. might as well be fishing worms. frown Turned-up eyes work better for flies you want to skate. We never did that, it's another new-fangled thingy brought from some other river.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Turned-up eyes work better for flies you want to skate. We never did that, it's another new-fangled thingy brought from some other river.

Yes. I have some 100+ year old 2.0 salmon irons from Scotland that are up eye. One will have to add some serious flotation to his patterns to get those to skate.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's possibly true, SD. By the same reasoning, they would tend to flip dry flies on their back, no?

Not really... the eye would have to weigh more than the whole curve of the hook and be farther away from the hackle.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't have it both ways, Sitka. A turned eye causes a nymph to ride hook up, but it helps a dry to ride hook down? I think the effect of both is minimal if it's there at all. But a turned eye DOES change the angle of pull from the line. Instead of pulling straight down the hook shank, you are applying a small bit of leverage.

But it's all pretty picky. Fish don't care. They can reject anything I throw.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just as a followup, I've been mulling this over and had a thought about a knot.

With a turned-down eye, I passed the leader through the eye, took it up and over the wrapped head, then back through the eye. Then tied a uni knot and snugged the knot back up until it jammed in the eye. The result is a nice straight line to fly alignment, an almost invisible knot that doesn't chafe on itself. Kind of a modern Turle knot, if you will.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BangPop
Clinch knot for everything except streamers where I use a nonslip loop.

Me too! This.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Just as a followup, I've been mulling this over and had a thought about a knot.

With a turned-down eye, I passed the leader through the eye, took it up and over the wrapped head, then back through the eye. Then tied a uni knot and snugged the knot back up until it jammed in the eye. The result is a nice straight line to fly alignment, an almost invisible knot that doesn't chafe on itself. Kind of a modern Turle knot, if you will.

For dries turle. Nymphs , streamers poppers non slip mono

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can't have it both ways, Sitka. A turned eye causes a nymph to ride hook up, but it helps a dry to ride hook down? I think the effect of both is minimal if it's there at all. But a turned eye DOES change the angle of pull from the line. Instead of pulling straight down the hook shank, you are applying a small bit of leverage.

But it's all pretty picky. Fish don't care. They can reject anything I throw.

Let's lay it out so we both understand what we are saying...

Dry flies are tied on lighter hooks and the up eye dominates. If the eye weighs more than the whole hook bend it could offset things, but the final drift to the surface should be curve down, eye up.

Nymphs tend to be tied on down eye, heavy hooks. The direction of pull on the eye puts the shank down, point up.

Now, I need to go to the posts and see what I actually said!
wink

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Got your point... but up eyes are far more common on dries.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BTW, just managed a 2-fish silver limit this morning on just 2 casts. Was concerned about getting the motor started for the return trip as the battery had been a little low so I left it idling while I fished. Sneaky peek showed a nice school. First cast took less then a strip for the take. Landed the fish and took care of it before dropping it in the box. Second cast was taken on the first strip. Second fish in the box and the engine was still running so I just took a couple turns in the river and ran back to the launch... on the trailer in less than an hour round trip, single-handed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd want more value out of all the boat towing work. I make sure I don't catch more than one fish per hour. At least, that's the way it usually turns out...

On subject, I use a nifty tying version of the Swirle knot. Not because of any angle of pull or tested strength or any other legitimate reason. It's just so easy. No poking ends in things, no counting twists. It's just so easy. And there's no way I could describe the technique.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sitka:
I hate those days. Once had nine days put aside for deer season. Tagged out at 06:45 opening day and it was hanging by 07:30. Had no buddies at the time I could spend the rest of the season with.

Also limited in about 5 minutes on silvers once while on a party boat. Had to quit until the captain wanted to fill a couple empty tags in the last 15 minutes of the day.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/31/18.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hear ya. A couple years ago, I was throwing a two-jig rig and had my limit of 10 crappie in six consecutive casts. Took longer to unhook them and get them in my cooler than to actually catch them. And had to release one besides!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It might not be high tech, but I've been using a Duncan Loop knot since I was 10 or 11. I'm now 62. It has been all I have ever needed. Is there something wrong with me?

EDIT: Just realized this thread has been asleep for a few months. Oh well...

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 12/20/18.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
It might not be high tech, but I've been using a Duncan Loop knot since I was 10 or 11. I'm now 62. It has been all I have ever needed. Is there something wrong with me?

EDIT: Just realized this thread has been asleep for a few months. Oh well...

Nah, I use the improved clinch for everything with an eye and I got no complaints. Perfection loop, nail knot and improved clinch do everything I need to do, and I fish 40 plus times a year...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Tradition is not always a good thing. The turned-down eyes on hooks and the Turle knot were invented specifically for gut leaders. Gut required a knot that didn't crimp down on itself (like a clinch knot does) but the Turle made the fly ride "cocked" when tied to a straight-eyed hook. So hook makers started turning down the eyes so the Turle knot and gut leader gave a straight pull.

Monofilimant line came along, but hook makers are STILL making fly hooks with turned-down eyes. Even though nobody has used a gut leader in more than seven decades. There's absolutely no need for turned-down fly hooks today, but...

Well, it's tradition.

Turned down eyes on beadheads help keep the hook point up...

Yes, I'm necroposting, but wanted to add that jig-head hooks are rising in popularity due to this fact.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Uni-knot or Eugene Bend. If you can double the line through the eye, Fish-n-fool (just a uni with 2 passes through the eye) or a Eugene bend with 2 passes through the eye.

I've use the Davy, Palomar, Trilene, Orvis, Uni, and Eugene Bend. I find the Uni and Eugene easy to tie and sturdy. For larger flies its hard to beat the fish-n-fool. A uni-knot with 5- wraps works well for me.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I learned the strength of a nail knot while flyfishing Kings on the Alagnak. Sometimes I'd fish 20lb Maxima tippet, and when trying to clear a snag the tippet would break. When I'd fish 25lb Maxima, the nail knot would pull off the flyline. Arcane, but perhaps useful.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

641 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,317
Posts18,449,266
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.