Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've hesitated to post this, since I know it's been covered before and I know the answer already, but here goes.........

I'm getting ready for my first elk hunt in Oct. Cow elk in Montana is the plan, with the slight possibility of antelope (pending the draw that we should know about any day now). I want to take my 7mm-08 and leave my 30-06 at home, but several of my friends and family think I'm crazy. Of course they are the same guys that think they need a 7mmRM to kill whitetails. confused confused... One family member practically begged me to take his .264 WM, but I don't want to carry a 26" barrel, 9 lb rifle. If that is what I wanted, I would have bought one long ago. I also was hesitant to use the .264 when he told me that his 140 accubond load was running 3300+ fps and his 120 TTSX load was running 3500 fps shocked shocked!! IIRC, both of those are over 200 fps faster than max book loads!!

So, my 7mm-08 is loaded with 140 accubonds at just under 2900 fps and shoots just under moa to 400 yards. I also have a 120 TTSX load at 3150 fps, that shoots a little better than that. So am I crazy for taking my "little" gun after cow elk? Which load would you use, assuming I may have to reach out to 400 or beyond? I'm fully confident in my abilities to 400 yds, as I've killed a pile of deer that far, but I'd rather get close obviously. Right now I'm leaning to the 140 AB, just for the better down range energy, but I could go either way.

Thoughts?????

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bring a sharp knife.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd buy a box of shells and some game bags. Wouldn't even think twice about using a 7-08 for an elk. It will kill it dead, dead, dead.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd also take it because the people you're going with are saying it's too small. Show em it's not!

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's just fine as others have said. IMO, the larger calibers only get you distance as they have higher starting velocities so generally have higher velocities at longer range. Higher velocities just ensure big game bullets expand as designed. Expanding meaning more internal damage done in the elk. I know with my 308 I'm limited to about 300yards (according to my ballistic program) with Barnes TSX bullets which need about 2200 fps to expand fully. I can shoot the exact same bullet out of a 300WM and get 600+ yards with reliable expansion. Just check what your bullet's ideal expansion velocity range is, and keep your shots in that zone and as others have said, the elk will be dead. I'd also opt for the heaviest round you can accurately shoot as well. Generally higher mass bullets have better penetration due to higher momentum. Elk are thick beasts, and I personally prefer the bullet to penetrate fully and exit on the far side. Lot's of generalities here, but with a good bullet your 7mm-08 will be more than fine; external and terminal ballistics have a lot of variables beyond that of a single paragraph.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aim below center almost into the front leg. Heart shot!

140 AB or 120TTSX will WORK!

YOU most hit them in the vitals.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's fine, but I'd bring both guns in event of mechanical issues. Both rounds will work fine. If you want use the 140's on the elk and the 120's on the prairie goat.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Years ago, my hunting partner and I killed 8 cows and bulls over a period of time with the 7/08 loaded with 140g sierras...amazing we simply did not know any better. We had no long tracking jobs, just put the bullet where it belongs. We did not pay any attention to complete penetration, etc as they just flopped at the shot, some stood for three seconds.

We figured that the 7/08 was too much gun for cows, so we started shooting the 243 with 100g partitions with 41g of IMR 4350, they flopped also. We rode mules, quartered them up putting the quarters in panyards on the side of the mules, then turned the mules loose. The mules were standing at the horse trailer on the back of the truck when we arrived.

Our shots were never over 150 yards as the elk were not spooked by the mules, and could never see the man on the mule.

My thinking goes along two lines

a. place your shot or do not pull the trigger-forget the idea of shooting through a shoulder unless you want to shoot a cannon. If you want to shoot through shoulders, a 7 Mag with 175g partitions is a good start or better a 300 WM with 200g partitions. Many men can not shoot a magnum accurately, and accuracy is all it takes on elk. Men that like shoulder shooting elk will eventually be in for the most difficult tracking job you could ever imagine with a very good possibility that the dying bull will run into the deepest canyon you could ever imagine. Shoulder shooters should err on the long side and shoot something like a 300 Weatherby with a 200g partition or larger caliber AND PRACTICE. I could tell some stories on sorry SOB's that never shot their huge magnums and gimped up elk, wanting to put me and my mules in danger after making a really bad shot. I really don't know about the TTSX as stories abound about them failing, and the same goes for Berger hunting bullets.

b. choose a bullet that you know will do MASSIVE INTERNAL DAMAGE on a broad side shot, which I think is more important that a complete pass through. Partitions will never fail you, and expect the best of both worlds.

In a 7/08, a 140,150,160g partition would be tremendous, and R#26 with a fed 215 would be my pick of powders loaded using a long drop tube.

Elk hunting involves a lot of up and down hill shooting which always leads to shooting high, know your trajectory.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

7mm-08 in scabbard...

[Linked Image]

a few days later...

[Linked Image]

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Right now I'm leaning to the 140 AB, just for the better down range energy, but I could go either way.

Thoughts?????

Load it up and go.

The naysayers-regardless of what they will tell you-haven't done much elk hunting....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You are just fine with that rifle and load!

Now get some good boots, a good knife, a folding pruning saw for bones and don't forget your chap-stick. Carry something for water (don't forget to drink a LOT of water when you into high country) and a compass and maps of your area. Socks and sun glasses will be things you'll want.

Post pictures of your kill when it's done and you are home.
smile
happy Hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have fun on your trip.
Like others have said, your 7-08 is fine.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Remember that elk anatomy is different from deer.

You may be shooting up and down 20* or more, run a ballistic's program. Elk hunting off a mule or horse is one of the best hunts a guy can go on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Cow elk in Montana is the plan, with the slight possibility of antelope (pending the draw that we should know about any day now). I want to take my 7mm-08 and leave my 30-06 at home, but several of my friends and family think I'm crazy.

Thoughts?????

I live in Montana, have killed elk with the 7-08, and don't think you're crazy.

The 140 Accubond would be my first choice, though I've used the 150 Ballistic Tip effectively.

Those that have the least experience killing elk worry the most about armament. The rest of us just use 270's, 7-08's, 308's and the like.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by szihn

Now get some good boots, a good knife, a folding pruning saw for bones and don't forget your chap-stick.

I use chapstick too, if you coat one side of the hide, you can slide your elk down the mountain whole, works like a charm.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have been taking elk for many years with a 6.5x308 , 260 Rem. 6.5 x 55. 6.5-06 & 264 mag. My bullet has been the Barnes original 6.5 120gr "X" & now the TSX. Always total penetration. Never lost an elk, never recovered a bullet even thru bone. . I have a friend who inherited his fathers 7-08. Takes elk cleanly each season with the Barnes 140gr TSX. Also complete penetration. Another father / son friend use the 270 with the Barnes 130gr TSX. Same result. The over whelming numbers of elk & deer we take are well under 200yds.The Barnes has proved to be a reliable deadly deep penetrating bullet for tougher game like elk. [Linked Image]

260 Rem. Barnes 120gr TSX. One shot complete penetration. I know your 7-08 with the 120gr TSX will work nicely. These bullets are amazing regardless of what brass case is behind them...

Last edited by Hesp; 08/03/18.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I suspect that after this fall, you will have been in on more elk killing than any of your family.

They don't know what they are talking about; the 140 AB will work fine. My only advice is after you shoot, don't sit there admiring the shot expecting the elk to fall like a 100# deer. As long as it is on its feet, keep putting holes in it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

The bullet on the left is what remains of a Nosler 6.5 125gr Partition fired from my 260 Rem. . It now weights 87grs. It was recovered from the off side of a mature muley buck I took in 2016. The range was about 80 yds. No bone was struck
The bullet on the right is a Barnes 120gr TSX recovered from the dirt back stop behind my 100yd target. It was fired from my 260 Rem at 3004 fps.. It still weights 120grs. When a bullet sheds weight it looses momentum thus penetration is reduced. Any bullet with a lead core sheds weight upon striking game. The Barnes homogeneous copper bullets tend to retain 100% of their weight which retains momentum thus greater penetration. Me & mine have been taking elk for many years. I have taken a fair amount of elk in my younger days with the 338 mag, 300mags & the 7mag. We have used many different brands & types of bullets. To date the Barnes TTSX & TSX have proven totally reliable. I base this on years of in the field experience for my self & observing elk taken by others. A tough deep penetrating bullet " properly" placed is key.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My oldest son took his first elk, a cow, with a 7-08 and a 139 grain Hornady IL. Bang flop.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My family and I have been shooting 7-08's for the last several years...mostly 140 accubonds.

My wife has killed 2 bull elk with her 7-08, both 6 point bulls.

This one was feeding with 5 other 6 points shot was 202 yards, shot behind the shoulder. The bull slowly turned downhill after the shot, and stumbled about 5 yards and dead:

[Linked Image]

A couple years later, 106 yards bedded quartering toward us. She shot him on the point of the shoulder, exited about 8 inches behind the off shoulder, broke the on-side shoulder:

[Linked Image]

My brother shot this bull in Montana with my 7-08 and 140 AB's...487 yards behind the shoulder slightly quartering away, bull went maybe 50 yards and dead:

[Linked Image]

Recovered the bullet just under the hide in front of the off shoulder:

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,279 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,262
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.