Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by RDFinn
A Festivus miracle....

Given the timing and context, that might be the single greatest 'fire one liner ever.

That's gold Jerry, gold.......

Gerry.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
To answer Bob's question on B&L mounts, I used nothing but their scopes with their mounts from 1956 until sometime in the 1970's.
They were tougher to zero, and you couldn't dial them like you can some scopes of today.
After using one rather extensively on a Remington 721 in 30'06 with a very loud muzzle break, I switched to a then new Remington 740, also in 30'06. Later when I got my first bolt action sporter, a Remington 700 in the then new 7mm Remington Magnum, and later a Browning BAR chambered for the same cartriage. We also had a Winchester M70 in .22 Hornet that used the same mounts.
We could use one scope for several rifles and we did. The rifles were always zeroed when we checked them. That means less than 1/2 an inch off, if that.
But the mounts weren't that tough. If the rifle went down scope first, and impacted the objective end of the scope, you could bend the tongue or spring loaded, retracable pin. If that happened, you were out of luck. I knew a couple of hunters who did just that.
BTW, Buehler made a "Micro Dial" Mount that I used for a while. That mount worked well, was much easier to adjust and never once failed in the field. So, it has been done. And done well. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 12/29/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
E: Good points> I did not know any of that stuff. I never used one. Just wondered about them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They look kind of bulky. smile

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the 'fire phobia raging along at this rate, open sights will be the new SWFA in 5 years. Someone here will report a SWFA that failed and then spark a chain reaction where schitty SWFA's aren't even good enough for MacKay to put on his daughter's rifle. They'll be failing all over.

After the open sights prove unreliable, then the only thing people will trust is taking the sights off of a gun and getting close enough to a deer to actually shove the barrel up its azz before pulling the trigger as that will be the only sure way of aiming a bullet into the vitals.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bob, I thought you might have used the old B & L Scope.. I have a 2.5-8 on my grandfather's 06.. Had it custome stocked when I was about 18... The guy who did the work was a big fan of B & L scopes.

I used it on this 06 for years, then in the late 70's, I had other rifles and it sat in the safe.. In the early 80's I loaded 3 bx. of 150's with its favorite load.. My wife shot it for a few years before switching to the 7 mag. In the early years of this century' I took the old rifle and ammo to Pa/. for a deer hunt. The rifle was dead on after all those years, and the ammo grouped fine.. Nothing these guys would admire, but under an inch.. Killed a deer with it that fall..

One thing about this scope and mount.. It has worked super on the 06, but I tried to put it on a 7mm mag. No matter what I did, the second shot would kick the scope out of the mount!!!

My friend who made the stock and sold me the scope, couldn't figure it out.. He had used one on an old .300 H & H he had, and when his custom 7mm mag. was up and running that was his choice for it.. Neat old scope and mount.. Tough to zero, but it held its zero for many years..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
They look kind of bulky. smile

Not to worry Bob. Leupold is going to resurrect them along with some catchy buzz terms ....such as " New Aluma-Thor™ mounts featuring Diamond-Track™, Micro-Cool™ Titanium Coated billet Magnesium chasis.....with NASA Track Technology™....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thank goodness! Now I can sleep! grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank God I can still shoot iron sights good enough to collect my yearly venison and have no need to shoot them from half a mile.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH
They look kind of bulky.

Not to worry Bob. Leupold is going to resurrect them along with some catchy buzz terms ....such as " New Aluma-Thor™ mounts featuring Diamond-Track™, Micro-Cool™ Titanium Coated billet Magnesium chasis.....with NASA Track Technology™....

You forgot "Tactical"
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Yea except for the fact that Leupolds literally DOMINATE short range bench rest shooting. At the IBS 2015 Nationals Leupold took 27 of 40 top ten finishes in the aggs. laugh

Most short range BR shooters dont know if there scope is tracking or not.
You only click from 100 to 200 yards.Even tasco can do that,
You can bet they know if it holds POI.
I find most light weights in the optic field like to trout Leupolds BR dominance.
Most dont have a clue that those lupies have there erectors frozen and are in adjustable mounts or were converted by Cecil Tucker.

dave

Dave,
That was a heavy hit to the Leopold Circle Jerk Commission. It is allmost unfair to deal out a crushing and yet easily verifiable fact. It seems to really affect their entire world view. <-That is not a an insult but an observation...

Further it all depends on which Benchrest Equipment List that you look at whether Leupold "DOMINATE"(s) or not... Include the 2015 200-300 yard National Championship Match held in Ashe County, North Carolina and look at the equipment list. This is not a hand picked list but rather the last championship on the IBS page included below. Out of 49 shooters: 29 shot Nightforce, 11 shot Leopold, 3 shot March, 3 shot Weaver, and Leopold and Burris both had two shooters in the 6x scope field as they are the only manufacturers competing for that market.

What does this prove? Not much. Though it may shed some light on the Bernstein's lauded Scientific Method of how Leopold "DOMINATES" Short Range Benchrest...

http://internationalbenchrest.com/results/score/_scoreindex.php

As to those who thought I was insulting you goes... If I have done so in a past post there is NO doubt I meant every word of it... If I did not, and there ARE some of you who are deserving, I just haven't gotten around to you yet or consider you beneath a personal reply. Sorry. Next Christmas is JUST around the corner. The guy who brought up being an alcoholic, shooting, and some desire to be insulted by me simply has to many issues to make it sporting. This entire Leopold Circle Jerk Commission as Chaired by Johnny Bernstein has put together as self deluded a group as I've ever come across...

By the way Johnny. If the equine fecal matter that you've been plastering these posts with is all you have to show of first hand scientific method... Please let a few of the rest of us quietly ride away without signing up or drinking the coolaid... No doubt it'll taste great. I'm looking forward to the helicopter video shot..

Wishing you professionals nothing but best...

Modest Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In a word: Svelte...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

[Linked Image]

Should come with its own curator.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia

Dave,
That was a heavy hit to the Leopold Circle Jerk Commission. It is allmost unfair to deal out a crushing and yet easily verifiable fact. It seems to really affect their entire world view. <-That is not a an insult but an observation...

Further it all depends on which Benchrest Equipment List that you look at whether Leupold "DOMINATE"(s) or not... Include the 2015 200-300 yard National Championship Match held in Ashe County, North Carolina and look at the equipment list. This is not a hand picked list but rather the last championship on the IBS page included below. Out of 49 shooters: 29 shot Nightforce, 11 shot Leopold, 3 shot March, 3 shot Weaver, and Leopold and Burris both had two shooters in the 6x scope field as they are the only manufacturers competing for that market.

What does this prove? Not much. Though it may shed some light on the Bernstein's lauded Scientific Method of how Leopold "DOMINATES" Short Range Benchrest...

http://internationalbenchrest.com/results/score/_scoreindex.php

As to those who thought I was insulting you goes... If I have done so in a past post there is NO doubt I meant every word of it... If I did not, and there ARE some of you who are deserving, I just haven't gotten around to you yet or consider you beneath a personal reply. Sorry. Next Christmas is JUST around the corner. The guy who brought up being an alcoholic, shooting, and some desire to be insulted by me simply has to many issues to make it sporting. This entire Leopold Circle Jerk Commission as Chaired by Johnny Bernstein has put together as self deluded a group as I've ever come across...

By the way Johnny. If the equine fecal matter that you've been plastering these posts with is all you have to show of first hand scientific method... Please let a few of the rest of us quietly ride away without signing up or drinking the coolaid... No doubt it'll taste great. I'm looking forward to the helicopter video shot..

Wishing you professionals nothing but best...

Modest Regards, Matt.

You might be the dumbest dude on the net. Congratulations???

At the least you squeak the mostest while knowing the leastest.

Hang a pic of anything you have done, just for the humor.

Seriously, anything at all, rat shooting, 5 yds groups, buying .22 Rim Fire, holding an air soft pistol. Anything, I beg you.

Oh I forgot, the simple act of buying a point and shoot camera has stymied you for "literally" years. laugh laugh

Here's hoping that Mom will finally buy you a simple Point and Shoot camera and you can finally play with the grownups. shocked laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Matt,
I just got back on and even though I know you asked to ride off into the sunset as unmolested as possible and I am glad to oblige I thought I would let you know I thoroughly enjoyed your posts even though I am a Leupold owner of many of there scopes.
It seems that these optics threads are always interesting and sooner or later turn into a mud slinging deal however with that being said when that happens there cannot be another place in cyberspace where the English language is used in such a way that it is anywhere near as entertaining as some of these posts are and have been.
Several months ago I saw a post on a scope optic thread that had just started (page 2 of the thread as I remember) that simply said "Oh here we go. Someone put on the popcorn".
I was just reading your last post to my gal friend and even though she isn't near up to speed on optics (she knows the basics which is about it) she was laughing....I was almost crying I was laughing so hard.
To all who participated for 20 pages of some of the most informative optics blogging in the history of scopes thanks for the info and thanks for the entertainment.

Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bump! John Burns is a stud!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

[Linked Image]

How did you manage to make a rifle/dead coyote/wearing a sixgun pic look THAT gay?

I feel sorry for the fugkin' coyote. That schit is humiliating.

Merry Christmas,
Dave

Had to clean the coffee off my screen after reading that.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, just wow. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Originally Posted by deflave

[Linked Image]

How did you manage to make a rifle/dead coyote/wearing a sixgun pic look THAT gay?

I feel sorry for the fugkin' coyote. That schit is humiliating.

Merry Christmas,
Dave

Had to clean the coffee off my screen after reading that.

Yep...that alone was worth digging up a 3 year old thread.

Shows the reason we love 'flave...

Also gives proof that the tanning booths and teeth whitening were all the rage in coyote season that year...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.