Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 46 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 45 46
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I might just take my buddies 270 out today and shoot this challenge with it. Hell, I might even use some partitions. We'll see.....

I be curious to see if you got the same results as I did when I stretched that partition out to 300yds. I was turning in phenomenal groups at 100yds. I was 98% set on using that load for my sheep hunt. Then I shot it out to 300 yds and good lord wasn't even MOA. I switched to 145 ELD-X and shot it out to 300yds and held MOA all day. I wish I could find that target. I was pretty proud of myself, the 150 sierras shot real too out to 300yds.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
I really need to go shoot this stainless classic in this 300 Weatherby as well..

You need to. I love my 300wby..

I had a push feed XTR in a 300 weatherby, I had it cerkoted sniper grey turned out real nice and it shot 180's with 7828 real well. Only reason i bought it, was for the scope. I gave it to a bud, his 2 hunting rifles one was a 98 he put together and it was having issues and a savage in a 375 ruger. I told him life is to short not have a model 70. Yeah its a push feed but its a winchester smile He went and shot it using factory weatherby ammo and he was smiling ear to ear. Last he told me he was going to ph uck it all up and put it in a boyds stock, I hope he knows how to bed rifles and float them. Rick really needs to make what BSA did for that bedding job a sticky.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S
I really need to go shoot this stainless classic in this 300 Weatherby as well..

You need to. I love my 300wby..

If you hate it let me know cool

I know someone that would covet it...

A stainless classic 300 weatherby would be a damn nice find...

Right after I typed this I walked into my favorite store and snagged a M70 Classic Supergrade 300 RUM. Beautiful wood on it and I paid just about what I’ve seen most other RUMs going for. Figure I’ll sell the stock to recoup some money there and maybe the barrel as well. I’ll send the action off to Kevin Weaver and let him get going on my build. Planning on a 1-8 2 contour Krieger and some lightening to make it a bit more portable and I’ll put the whole works in a Legend. Using the Sunny Hill 3.8” bottom metal to let that big 300 breath some.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
79S, I agree, your buddy with the 300 Wby XTR has a helluva rifle right there. A heavy laminate wouldn’t be my choice either.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
I be curious to see if you got the same results as I did when I stretched that partition out to 300yds. I was turning in phenomenal groups at 100yds. I was 98% set on using that load for my sheep hunt. Then I shot it out to 300 yds and good lord wasn't even MOA. I switched to 145 ELD-X and shot it out to 300yds and held MOA all day. I wish I could find that target. I was pretty proud of myself, the 150 sierras shot real too out to 300yds.

We saw something similar with the 150gr Partition in my buddy's 7RM T3. Great groups at 100, but at medium range it fell apart. We've been doing 10 shot groups at 100 for several years, to prove a new load or new rifle/scope/shooter system, and this situation was no different. Everything seemed fine at 100. Switched to the 168 Berger and it's been lights out to 600.

I had the 140 BTHP shoot to 500 well in one 270, but at 800 it had a lot more drop than predicted. That same rifle shot the 140 NAB out to 800 well, and matched JBM.

Never did figure out the root cause of those issues. And didn't care to. We just moved on.

Jason

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also have a stainless classic in a 300 RUM.. I know where a stainless classic is at on a express action. Someone had a aftermarket barreled screwed on it in a 300 weatherby and put it in a hogue stock. The shop that has it on consignment wants $695, at this point the action only thing worth salvaging. I thought about 300 H&H but building a custom/semi custom rifle are behind me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know you will turn in some better scores, as soon as you fine tune rifle and load. You are a good shooter.. Rifle definitely has potential...

Lawrence,

That was just factory ammo. It's been shooting well enough to 600. When I checked ES, it should shoot OK to 1000, before it falls apart.

Not sure if I will handload for that one. Been enjoying time away from the reloading bench grin

Jason

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by gunner500
NICE! good shooting 4thpoint, i'll take this challenge again when my new 6.5 Swede build is done, it'll wear a 3-12 LRTS.

Gunner,

I'm interested in the details of your Swede build (action, stock, barrel, etc.). Bullet and velocity you are expecting, as well.

I'll probably shoot the challenge again, once I replace/fix the trigger. Light triggers have been a crutch of mine, and I've been working to fix that, but the 4 lb. pull was a bit more than I am used to. I think the rifle is mechanically capable of doing better. I'm the weakest link in the system.

Jason

Hello Jason,

My new Swede build will wear a 28" stainless #15 Kreiger barrel, 7.5 twist, .820" at the muzzle, screwed to a Baco M-70 action, with bolt and barrel done in right hand Helical twist, bolt knob will be the Hunter model in right hand Helical twist as well, it all sits in a McMil Edge stock, pillared and floated, bottom metal bedded too.

A 3-12 LRTS will ride in NF rings mounted to a steel 20 minute NF rail, it's going to be a fun rifle build for back porch coyotes and pigs to 700 yards here at the farm, I have a couple hundred Lapua cases, some 143gr RDF's, 147gr ELD's and 150 gr SMK's to start load workup with.

I'm going to be leaning hard on 28 inches of barrel looking for 2900-2950 fps, Retumbo and H-1000 are first in line to try.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a fun one and 2900 is smoking fast! Thanks for the details.

Jason

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jason, that's one of the beauties of shooting the 6.5 creedmoor. You can find excellent factory ammo. Speaking of that, northwest armory has the 140gr. american gunner for $150.00/200 rounds. Not too bad of a deal for good accurate plinking loads...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

All of my creed's love that ammo. Damn near as much as they like my handloads, but not quite... I need to take that Sako out again now that its wearing a good NF...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another one that shoots well is that cheapo Remington 140 cor lokt ammo in the 6.5 CM. If a guy wasn’t worried about BC, twisting turrets
Be the ammo to use for deer hunting..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jason, that's one of the beauties of shooting the 6.5 creedmoor. You can find excellent factory ammo. Speaking of that, northwest armory has the 140gr. american gunner for $150.00/200 rounds. Not too bad of a deal for good accurate plinking loads...

I've heard/read good reports on that Gunner ammo. Thanks for the confirmation. And that NWA price is lower than what I see online.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/08/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sounds like a fun one and 2900 is smoking fast! Thanks for the details.

Jason

Yessir, and you're welcome, it will loads of fun, I get 2780 with a 25" barreled Swede firing a 140gr partition with RL-22, the partition has much more bearing surface than the bullets I have listed, the 29-2950 and maybe more should be easily attainable with 140-150gr bullets in 28 inches of barrel, especially with H-1000 and Retumbo.

BTW, the RDF I listed is 140 grains, I'm getting my bullets mixed up again, heck, just last week I loaded some 55gr Noslers in a 22-250 all the way up to 750 grains in a 50-90 Sharps, and a lot in between, quiet the spread in bullet weights. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geez, this thread still amazes me. 45,000+ views and what, 9 shooters turned in sub moa results? Ive also noticed there is far less talk about having 1/2 moa rifles in the other forums too. Coincidence?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geez, this thread still amazes me. 45,000+ views and what, 9 shooters turned in sub moa results? Ive also noticed there is far less talk about having 1/2 moa rifles in the other forums too. Coincidence?

I moved onto shooting groups out to 600yds.. high power shooting. When you going to graduate to the 600yd line?? Or 1000yd line?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

May get more participation in a different forum. Maybe start a new thread in the 'Hunting Rifles' forum, where there are 968k posts? Versus 112k posts for 'AR and Tactical Rifles' forum.

Right now, there are 10x more people viewing the 'Hunting Rifles' forum. And I know people who would never enter an AR forum, as it's not their thing, even if they own one or even several.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

May get more participation in a different forum. Maybe start a new thread in the 'Hunting Rifles' forum, where there are 968k posts? Versus 112k posts for 'AR and Tactical Rifles' forum.

Right now, there are 10x more people viewing the 'Hunting Rifles' forum. And I know people who would never enter an AR forum, as it's not their thing, even if they own one or even several.

Its not going to happen Jason. Hondo already tried to get guys from the longrange forum to join in on the fun. NO takers there except him and he shot a very good score (not surprising). He's a good shooter like you. I'm pretty sure he was pretty disappointed in his buds in that forum. The hunting rifle forum guys know all about this shoot here. Trust me... wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I moved onto shooting groups out to 600yds.. high power shooting. When you going to graduate to the 600yd line?? Or 1000yd line?

I shoot longrange all the time bud. Going to shoot at the Nosler range on the 18th and 19th of April. I'd lay a $1,000.00 on the table that most guys couldn't even keep up at even a measly 400 yards. 600 isn't much John... Iv'e made one shot kills on deer at more than 600 on numerous occasions.. Your X rings are MOA at 600 yards. That's childs play buddy... The size of those targets are laughable.. I mean big... Try hitting a 2" diameter steel plate at 400 yards (if you can even see it through your scope), and get back to me. If you ever get back down to these parts, you can take me up on the $1,000.00 bet... It would be fun.. I have the money, if you think you have the rifle and talent to compete.... wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its not going to happen Jason. Hondo already tried to get guys from the longrange forum to join in on the fun. NO takers there except him and he shot a very good score (not surprising). He's a good shooter like you. I'm pretty sure he was pretty disappointed in his buds in that forum. The hunting rifle forum guys know all about this shoot here. Trust me... wink

I just dug up those posts for fun. Not much traction but some interesting opinions on the subject.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-moa-all-day-long-challenge#Post13289267

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-moa-all-day-long-challenge#Post13289263

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

... can't post pics....Kamera musta run out of Kodachrome

Page 36 of 46 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.