Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by 5spd
I have 2 224 valkryie ar15 barrels from bear creek, both have been super accurate and print an average of .500" to .600" at 100 yds, nice out to 600 yards.
Lots of issues with them from others as junk, but I'm happy with the ones I got through midsouth supply.

One shot groups with keyholed boolits????????????????

MM

Did he say keyholes or one shot groups?

I've played with ARs parts kits etc. since the 70s. You can get some decent stuff with the right ammo from some cheap sources... not all the time. But really who needs much more than 1-2 MOA for most of what they actually do. I desire a lot better. But lets face it, deer hunters use guns 4moa quite a bit years ago and never had issues.

I will report honestly on my bear creek upper as time allows. Even though 24 hour has gone so far downhill I don't visit much anymore.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a BC .300 Blackout upper last summer on a lark. It was less than $300 and at my door in three days so the initial buy and value gets a big thumbs up. Fit perfectly. Loaded up some Hornady 190 gr Sub-X@ 1050 fps. It took about 30 rounds, more lube and a magazine switch from the one that I had to get it running smoothly as it had a few failure to extract or feed but now it's seamless and I find the accuracy perfectly acceptable for what's really a 100 yard rifle as long as I'm shooting subsonics.

I'm no EBR expert by any means and I mostly own it as an FU to our state but I'd say for the money I'm a happy customer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

100 yard target

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a BCA upper in 350 Legend. It shot patterns not groups. Took 2 hours of lead lapping to get it to shoot a decent group. Pure POS. Never again!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pugs
I bought a BC .300 Blackout upper last summer on a lark. It was less than $300 and at my door in three days so the initial buy and value gets a big thumbs up. Fit perfectly. Loaded up some Hornady 190 gr Sub-X@ 1050 fps. It took about 30 rounds, more lube and a magazine switch from the one that I had to get it running smoothly as it had a few failure to extract or feed but now it's seamless and I find the accuracy perfectly acceptable for what's really a 100 yard rifle as long as I'm shooting subsonics.

I'm no EBR expert by any means and I mostly own it as an FU to our state but I'd say for the money I'm a happy customer.

100 yard target

That looks like the Gen 2 side charger. Does the charging handle stay tight? Use thread lock? Thx

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I had a BCA upper in 350 Legend. It shot patterns not groups. Took 2 hours of lead lapping to get it to shoot a decent group. Pure POS. Never again!

as above ymmv.

And as I've said I've had some expensive tubes shoot not great. Ive seen major factory bolt gun barrels shoot bad. I've sent in a 4 inch barrel to TC. they shot a 4 inch group and sent back saying it was fine.

What I'm saying is you can pay and pretty much have known. Like invest a 500 buck barrel and high dollar name upper parts and be 800 plus into an upper that most likely will shoot well. Or if you aren't picky, like my 6.5 Grendel, take a chance, and see. I'd say the odds of a decent shooter is pretty decent, at least 80 plus percent... maybe better.

As to lock tight a charge handle, I've seen a barrel so loose RE the forend you could unscrew the wobbly tube by hand. Denied by a MAJOR MATCH builder.... that produces some heck of a guns. We just snugged it up the right way and called it good.

Just seems like so many complain these days. If its cheap, then expect a bit of work possibly. And less accuracy possibly. If its high dollar then its probably going to be fine.
Probably.

Just have to find out whats important.

No. I'd never use Bear creek to shoot matches. But plinking and shooting pigs doesn't take much. Just used a PSA cheap 200 buck upper about an hour ago to shoot 5 pigs in the back pasture with a thermal. Never missed a hitch.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like Pugs, I initially got into the "Black Rifle" bidness, "just because", so for a long time, I owned just two in 5.56, a Bushmaster (purchased in 2007) and a Colt about three years ago.
Then Hatari got me into the "thumpers" so I built one using a Davidson Defense upper, a bolt from somewhere else and a lower from Palmetto (?) I also spent the "big bucks" and bought a Wyndham "Thumper" both in 450 BM. Even doing some hand loading for them with those mean looking bullets that look like a Phillips screwdriver head. But they also shoot Hornady factory with accuracy (see below three shot group at 100).
Bottom line is you can build these things for less than 500 bucks and they SHOOT. Besides, spending money on these hideous looking irons is like ordering a Yugo with leather seats..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
i have no complaints about my BCA uppers .one a side charging 762x39 giving a 3/4'' grouping at 100 yd the other came as a 308 side charging .as soon as it came that barrel was removed and a wilson combat in 708 was installed. along with a JP trigger and JP enhanced bolt .

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
SO an quick update.

We now know that the illegal workers was all a lie. Someone put a spin on it.

299 dollar Grendel upper came in. Thats what it was Black Friday. Think I paid a few bucks more.

Put a 4X scope, all I could get to fit with what I had laying around, without ordering rings, new base etc..

First 4 of factory 123 SST were about 1.5 inches. 2 inches low, inch left. I'd only roughly bore sighted.

Next 3 were a random reload N540 with 120 TTSX.. 1 inch group.

Next 3 same random reload N540 with 123 Scenars. 3/4 inch group.

Overall group 10 shots, 2 inches. At 100 yards. 4x off bags, not really taking my time much

One round failed to eject. Stayed in chamber. Brass not sized on the reloads and they showed that they are a bit high pressure. Pulled bolt back and came out. Hopefully didn't bend extractor.

Will clean up the chamber a bit. I'm sure its rough. And since factory worked fine I suspect I need a bit more sizing and back off powder a bit.

Think for a 300 buck upper its a 200 yard gun pretty easy. 300 should be fine from what I say from 10 rounds. Thats about max for hunting anyway IMHO.

Not that I'd put bear creek first, but for a rough and tumble pig gun, not bad at all. And for a beater truck gun I think I might see whats on sale from them next. You just never know. I may run out of lowers before its all said and done.

Nephews son has never shot a deer. So that may be the first thing we try, if we get a chance. If he can hit good we will see. Thinking hard trying the ttsx on the deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs

100 yard target

Seeing that Sea Chest about triggered a nervous tick laugh

We used to load them to about 200 lbs and then have to cross deck them over to the next ride about got my hands working right again finally laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495
SO an quick update.

Cool. Got a link?

MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
SO an quick update.

299 dollar Grendel upper came in. Thats what it was Black Friday. Think I paid a few bucks more.

Put a 4X scope, all I could get to fit with what I had laying around, without ordering rings, new base etc..

First 4 of factory 123 SST were about 1.5 inches. 2 inches low, inch left. I'd only roughly bore sighted.

Overall group 10 shots, 2 inches. At 100 yards. 4x off bags, not really taking my time much

One round failed to eject. Stayed in chamber. Brass not sized on the reloads and they showed that they are a bit high pressure. Pulled bolt back and came out. Hopefully didn't bend extractor.

Will clean up the chamber a bit. I'm sure its rough. And since factory worked fine I suspect I need a bit more sizing and back off powder a bit.

Think for a 300 buck upper its a 200 yard gun pretty easy. 300 should be fine from what I say from 10 rounds. Thats about max for hunting anyway IMHO.

Not that I'd put bear creek first, but for a rough and tumble pig gun, not bad at all. And for a beater truck gun I think I might see whats on sale from them next. You just never know. I may run out of lowers before its all said and done.

Nephews son has never shot a deer. So that may be the first thing we try, if we get a chance. If he can hit good we will see. Thinking hard trying the ttsx on the deer.

Standard BCG or side charger. Reason I ask is I have a Gen 2 side charger I’m “fixin” to put together on an Aero Precision lower. Wondering about securing the charge handle.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
SO an quick update.

Cool. Got a link?

I don't. Looked it up duck duck go a few weeks ago when everyone was hot on bear creek. Read a couple articles. Wasn't hard to realize it was a raid RE fake ID. They caught more than a few. And a few they did wrong so they had to release.

But if folks going to hold business at fault for being handed false ID I have no clue what the world is coming to. Only way then is hire only people that dont look like immigrants? Dunno.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shootem
SO an quick update.

Standard BCG or side charger. Reason I ask is I have a Gen 2 side charger I’m “fixin” to put together on an Aero Precision lower. Wondering about securing the charge handle.

Standard BCG. Not sure what you mean about securing it. But not wanting it to back out or unscrew? Loctite. Removable kind. I like the regular ones better but thats an individual thing. We ran a side charge handle to practice rapid fire, long story and a rig but screwed in snug it never came loose while cycling the action thousands of times by hand.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well that’s a resounding no. I’ll dig a little deeper. Everything I’ve seen references an ICE raid and 30 arrests. Not sure how a raid in re fake id’s for illegal aliens is a lie. Spin? Lol

Enough for me to not spend my money on em, but ymmv.

MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
SO an quick update.

Standard BCG. Not sure what you mean about securing it. But not wanting it to back out or unscrew? Loctite. Removable kind. I like the regular ones better but thats an individual thing. We ran a side charge handle to practice rapid fire, long story and a rig but screwed in snug it never came loose while cycling the action thousands of times by hand.

Yes, as in keeping the screw from backing out. Blue Locktite supposedly does the trick. Gen 1 was just a curved finger knob with a screw thru the attachment shaft. Gen 2 has a slide in notch at the front, an L shaped pin IIRC, and a screw thru the rear of the actuator base. Thanks for you’re update.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Well that’s a resounding no. I’ll dig a little deeper. Everything I’ve seen references an ICE raid and 30 arrests. Not sure how a raid in re fake id’s for illegal aliens is a lie. Spin? Lol

Enough for me to not spend my money on em, but ymmv.

You must read what I didn't. They raided. Found folks with illegal ID. The owners hired them based on ID. Thats simple enough for me.

But you read into it what you do and I read into it from the owners point of view.

Now if he had no documentation to back it up, IE hired illegal with no ID then its on him and them. I did not see any of that mentioned at all

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I read the first link that popped up this morning. It referenced ID issues.

I read the 2nd. Related that 250 employees appx, 30 were detained, checking ID and I9 forms filled out for the employer. Some released when identity was confirmed. Obviously some must have had fake.. fake is common in case folks aren't aware.

at least 220 employees not illegal.... well if that doesn't say enough you just keep on. Whether you buy from them or not, this is news out of proportion.... like normal. Guilty until proven either way...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
ICE does not raid a worksite without very firm info.

Rest assured they were employing more than a handful of illegals.

Whether anybody gives a schit or not is on them.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SO an quick update.

Yes, as in keeping the screw from backing out. Blue Locktite supposedly does the trick. Gen 1 was just a curved finger knob with a screw thru the attachment shaft. Gen 2 has a slide in notch at the front, an L shaped pin IIRC, and a screw thru the rear of the actuator base. Thanks for you’re update.

I used thin O ring to secure the rear plug or bolt

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
ICE does not raid a worksite without very firm info.

Rest assured they were employing more than a handful of illegals.

Whether anybody gives a schit or not is on them.

I wonder who dropped a dime on them?

Or was it just scrutiny of a firearm manufacturer?

My guess is BATFE may have shared a bit of intel to jab them in the eye when they couldn't find anything that violated their bailiwick.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 20 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,377
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.