Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
On Saturday we dove to Maine and picked up our Chris Briggs Maine Laker, a 21’ square siren freighter canoe.
Chris builds them one at a time,e, mine is hull number 71.
My son and I took it on a maiden voyage with outer Pudelpointer Lucca standing on the bow looking like a Viking statue!
We have a 7 1/2 Johnson two stroke pushing it at 15 mph.
A 9.9 would be perfect according to Jim at Lincoln Motors of Lincoln Maine where we picked up our Load rite trailer. That may be the next purchase.
Going fishing this weekend!

BP-B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Curious as to the build material and weight.
No doubt has a high cargo capacity.
Load Rite trailers were at least at one time built in an old Strick trailer facility in Fairless hills PA.
Just south of Trenton NJ.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Fiberglass, weight is 240 lbs.
Check out Chris Briggs Boats on Facebook.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
abbydog,

LUCKY DOG, LUCKY DOG. = I always wanted a custom-made Laker when I was about 30YY.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by abbydog
On Saturday we dove to Maine and picked up our Chris Briggs Maine Laker, a 21’ square siren freighter canoe.
Chris builds them one at a time,e, mine is hull number 71.
My son and I took it on a maiden voyage with outer Pudelpointer Lucca standing on the bow looking like a Viking statue!
We have a 7 1/2 Johnson two stroke pushing it at 15 mph.
A 9.9 would be perfect according to Jim at Lincoln Motors of Lincoln Maine where we picked up our Load rite trailer. That may be the next purchase.
Going fishing this weekend!

Good choice of boat, great choice of dog. Our PP loves the water. Those are cool boats indeed.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

"Freighter Canoe and Tyler, Too!"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sounds exciting! I'll have to look up his website.

I have a 19' Grumman and a 21" Scott Hudson Bay. I'll be heading out with the HB soon for a 300 mile run.
I use a 20HP 4 stroke on this one and a 10HP on the Grumman. My buddy runs a 24HP surface drive on his HB
as he runs our shallow glacier fed rivers whereas I run the larger rivers and lakes.

Many folks have a tendency to over-power canoe hulls. My 20HP does 14mph at half throttle and 16 mph at full throttle.
If the bow is creating much of a wake, you are running too much power to be efficient.

Last year we did 500 miles down Teslin and and Yukon Rivers with the 20HP Suzuki on the 21' HB and with mild throttle
going with the current [6-7 mph current] we averaged 1.5 gallons/day for 9 days. Our load was about 1,000 pounds in a canoe rated
for 2,000 pounds.

Good luck with your new canoe!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I checked out his website.....hell....that's the Scott hull!

Scott recommends a 20HP but I never use that much power unless I'm fighting some really swift current.

The 10HP would be great especially if you are running lakes and mild rivers.

My choice would be the new Suzuki 15 HP EFI.....at 97 pounds, I don't think you'll find a 10HP
much lighter.

You'll have a pile of fun with that boat.......drive up this way and I'll show you some interesting
trips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t do Facebook so I couldn’t get any price info. On average what do these rigs run price wise?

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Freight costs to this area are high but last week I priced a new 21' Hudson Bay Model at Kanoe People in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada and
it was $6,000 Canadian......

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Abbeydog,

IF you take my advice, find yourself an "old school" 10HP Evinrude, Gale, Johnson or Sea King OB out of a garage/estate sale, with "the short leg". Then buy yourself a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER by Max Wawrzyniak. & read it from cover to cover. Then follow Max's advice, as he is "the guru" on OB motors under 50HP under 50hp.
The OLD (1955-70) OMC twins are cheap to buy, cheap to fix when they need repair "in the bush", very "over-engineered" & lighter to haul about, than the modern OB motors of the same HP. = The OMC 10HP twins have plenty of power for most any canoe.
(Most, if not all, OMC motors of that era will need a pair of new sparkplugs, wires, coils, points, condensers & a new water pump impeller to run like new for DECADES. - Total cost of all the new parts from a local NAPA store is about 110.oo)

Note: I have set a "price limit" of 100 bucks to buy any old-school OMC OB motor & have bought several for 25-40 bucks, that run FINE. = I currently own 11 of the OMC motors from 18-40HP to power my 1955-1965 boats.

The 'old-school" twin cylinder are (I'm sorry to say) BETTER quality motors than are NOW made in the USA. They are also easier to KEEP RUNNING for longer than you are likely to ever need an outboard.
(One of my cousins is a commercial trot-liner & he has BIG TWINS that have been run 24/365 for over 20 years, with nothing more than normal/routine maintenance. - He runs his boats more in a year than most recreational fishermen will in their lifetime.)

just my OPINIONS, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by satx78247
Abbeydog,

IF you take my advice, find yourself an "old school" 10HP Evinrude, Gale, Johnson or Sea King OB out of a garage/estate sale, with "the short leg". Then buy yourself a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER by Max Wawrzyniak. & read it from cover to cover. Then follow Max's advice, as he is "the guru" on OB motors under 50HP under 50hp.
The OLD (1955-70) OMC twins are cheap to buy, cheap to fix when they need repair "in the bush", very "over-engineered" & lighter to haul about, than the modern OB motors of the same HP. = The OMC 10HP twins have plenty of power for most any canoe.
(Most, if not all, OMC motors of that era will need a pair of new sparkplugs, wires, coils, points, condensers & a new water pump impeller to run like new for DECADES. - Total cost of all the new parts from a local NAPA store is about 110.oo)

Note: I have set a "price limit" of 100 bucks to buy any old-school OMC OB motor & have bought several for 25-40 bucks, that run FINE. = I currently own 11 of the OMC motors from 18-40HP to power my 1955-1965 boats.

The 'old-school" twin cylinder are (I'm sorry to say) BETTER quality motors than are NOW made in the USA. They are also easier to KEEP RUNNING for longer than you are likely to ever need an outboard.
(One of my cousins is a commercial trot-liner & he has BIG TWINS that have been run 24/365 for over 20 years, with nothing more than normal/routine maintenance. - He runs his boats more in a year than most recreational fishermen will in their lifetime.)

just my OPINIONS, tex

AHA! I knew you were a Fan of Max W.! I have his whole book on old outboards on my puter from Duckworksmagazine.com

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thank you.
My son’s friends dad collects antique outboards and anything w,se he can toy around with.

D
D
Hi everyone, my names Nate Faulkingham. I have recenty bought out Chris Briggs. I am the new manufacurer of the 21 foot Maine Laker and the 18foot Tunk Laker. You can check us out on facebook.com/dirigocustomboatworks
Thanks
Nate

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Nate, I have hull no. 72. Bought this year from Chris.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I‘ve been to Lincoln, ME-and Lincoln Motors. Used to call on the Lincoln Pulp and Paper mill as a chemical supplier.

Just up north a bit ( 20 minutes?), just off I-95. in Medway, Maine, there is a shop called Two Rivers Canoe and Tackle ( owned by Barry Davis).
http://tworiverscanoe.com/

Presume the Maine Laker canoe Barry sells is made by Dirigo boatworks.

I bought a used Scott Hudson Bay freighter canoe there (21”) about 15 years ago. I put an 8 hp Evinrude 2 stroke on it- moved right along. A year later, they had the next larger version on a trailer, a used Scott James Bay freighter (22.5 ft long, 500 lbs, about 36” wide transom). I traded up for the James Bay freighter, and still have it. It is rated for 40 hp max, but I have a 15 hp Honda on it. Glides right along..

Last edited by buttstock; 11/15/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I thought Barry's was made in Canada by Scott?
I spoke to Barry 2 years ago, just don't recall who his supplier is but definitely a Canadian Company.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They look like Scott/Abitibi hulls.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I believe they are.
I spoke to the custom canvas company re a storage cover for my 21 freighter.
I may also check with another company as well.
What specifically are you looking for?
If you have a picture or sketch send it to me at ssheridanaol.com

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
email sent to Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 76 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.