Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The last couple of years I've moved to a modular rifle system that uses Bighorn actions and a pile of interchangeable barrels in various chamberings and states of wear. The weak link in all of this was always the time and equipment required to swap the barrels around. Thinking about this led me to develop a system (based around a barrel vise) for quickly changing rifle barrels in the field (or at home). It came out better than I thought, and I had a batch of them made because I'm certain other shooters would like the capacity it offers.

[Linked Image]

Here's a quick demo video:

To lay it out in more detail:

In order to remove or install a barrel using this method, you need to get a grip on the barrel and on the action or stock.

[Linked Image]

GRIPPING THE BARREL

This is what the Ross Vise is designed to do.

INSTALL THE VISE
Loosen the cap nuts, then slip the vise around your barrel with the square drive recesses facing the muzzle. Hand tighten the cap nuts.

[Linked Image]

TORQUE THE CAP NUTS
Tighten the nuts using a torque wrench, ratchet, or breaker bar with a 15/16 socket (a deep socket will work best), a 15/16 end wrench, or an adjustable wrench. If using a torque wrench, torquing the cap nuts to the same spec as the barrel is tightened to has always proved sufficient to remove it without slippage. The stock or chassis makes for great leverage so it is easy to get the nuts tight, we recommend you turn the rifle vertically. Avoid using the scope or scope rings for leverage.

[Linked Image]

TORQUE THE BARREL
Insert a torque wrench, ratchet, or breaker bar into one of the 1/2" square drive recesses on the face of the vise. If you desire to protect the finish of your vise, we recommend using a 3/8" drive with a 1/2" adapter, or a short 1/2" drive extension, in order to keep the wrench clear of the vise. The vise is made of anodized aluminum, and while it is durable, it will show marks if you repeatedly hit it with steel!

[Linked Image]

Empirical results rule!
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
GRIPPING THE ACTION / STOCK

Now that we have plenty of leverage on the barrel, we need leverage on the action. Exactly how we get this will depend upon how tight your barrel is installed, what type of stock or chassis you have, and what you are comfortable with. Here's a few options:

GRIP THE STOCK - AND POP THE BARREL LOOSE
If you run a light torque value on your barrels, it is possible to remove and install the barrel using only the leverage afforded by the stock. In testing we have found 30 ft-lb to be easy to reach, and 40 ft-lb to be within reach - though no longer "easy". The exact technique used matters, place your foot at the butt of the rifle and put the grip into your calf. Many competitive shooters run torque values this light on their barrels with great success. The biggest downside that we see with running a lightly torqued barrel is you are a little bit closer to having your barrel come loose. If your barrel becomes loose during a competition or a hunt, your ability to hit your target will be compromised, severely!

[Linked Image]

INSIDE ACTION WRENCH AND A T-HANDLE
By using an action wrench with a T-handle in combination with the vise, you are essentially exerting the same forces on your barrel and action as you would installing and removing barrels the traditional way, in a shop, with a bench mounted vise and an inside action wrench. By using a strap around the T-handle, you will keep the assembly from falling out of the rifle and save yourself a lot of frustration. This method will easily support the 80 ft-lb torque that is the recommended maximum for the vise, if you desire your barrels to be that tight. The only downsides to this method are that it requires you to own an inside action wrench for your action(s), and that it can be a little slower to set up, especially if you have an adjustable cheek piece in the way which must first be removed.

[Linked Image]

PIPE CLAMP
Using an inexpensive iron pipe clamp (my clamp came from Harbor Freight for ~ $10, and my 3/4" pipe came from the hardware store for less than that), tighten the clamp around your chassis or stock, and use the pipe as the leverage to remove and install your barrel. Add some rubber to the jaws (another $2 at the hardware store) to avoid damage to your stock or chassis. We recommend clamping around the recoil lug/front action screw juncture, and proceeding with caution! When using this method you are transferring force from the clamp to the stock - and then from the stock to the action via the action screws and any bedding surrounding the recoil lug. We have had great success with this method and have not damaged anything, but the potential is there. Be especially cautious about using this method with a lightly built wood, fiberglass, or carbon fiber stock. In our testing we used this method on a bedded rifle in a chassis - and after 100 removals and installs at 80 ft-lb the bedding was still tight and showed no signs of being worse for the wear, nor did any other components.

[Linked Image]

"MPA ROD"
For those with the popular Masterpiece Arms chassis, there is a recess behind the grip that will ALMOST take a 1 1/2" x 1/2" piece of aluminum stock (as seen in the demo video at the top of the page). I purchased a 2 foot piece that size from the local metal supply for ~ $10, and then spend about 10 minutes with a flap disc on an angle grinder rounding off the edges and taking the last two inches down from .500" to .475" so it would slip into this recess. As with the pipe clamp method, you are transferring force through your action screws and bedding, so proceed with caution. For testing purposes, I installed and removed a barrel set to 120 ft-lbs using this method with no ill effects, however I absolutely do not recommend that much torque, nor do I take responsibility if you manage to damage your stock using this technique. Additionally, if you are particular about the finish on your chassis inside this pocket, this will scratch it slightly, so proceed with that knowledge

[Linked Image]

If you're interested, there's even more detail at the site I set up: www.rossprecisionmt.com.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
purty dang neat.....

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Don! Did I see you were getting a pair of Bighorns?

Empirical results rule!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pretty slick Carl!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, Carl you did see that. A TL3 and a SR3. But if you woulda had yer vise out 6 months ago when I bought one, I'da got yours instead.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Carl-
That's pretty sweet!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Dig it.

Wross Wrench on the list of stuff I need.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That’s pretty sweet.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Glad you guys like it! I wish I had it ten years ago, it would have saved me sooooo much buying and selling.

Empirical results rule!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Someone needs to build an action incorporating a slick, yet subdued, way to apply an action wrench.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What? the Bighorn wrench and breaker bar ain't slimy and subdued enuff?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Holy shidt, the future was already here!

https://bighornarms.com/product/action-wrench-2/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
Glad you guys like it! I wish I had it ten years ago, it would have saved me sooooo much buying and selling.

But some other guys got really nice rifles through the classifieds. laugh

MasterPiece Arms chassis in that vid, yes? You like?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Holy shidt, the future was already here!

https://bighornarms.com/product/action-wrench-2/

Yep, it works slick!

[Linked Image]

Empirical results rule!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

But some other guys got really nice rifles through the classifieds. laugh

MasterPiece Arms chassis in that vid, yes? You like?

That's true! I guess I neglected to weigh in the philanthropic value of my churning smile

It's a Masterpiece Arms BA Comp chassis. That particular setup is pretty much a full on "PRS Gamer" rig. It sits around 19 lbs as shown, and I have another 4 lb weight I add for some situations. The trigger is around 8 oz. The primary competition caliber is a 6 Dasher with an aggressive brake. It's built to make shooting competitions as easy as possible for the driver, and it does pretty well at that. My #1 favorite feature is the grip, which I consider perfect for putting my hand in the right position to engage the trigger properly. My #2 favorite feature is the adjustability and modularity of the whole setup. Phil Cashin, being a PRS shooter, does a good job anticipating the needs (or wants) of guys playing that game.

Since I've had a working prototype of my vise, I often put an 8 twist 223 barrel on for high volume practice at the range prior to a match. At the end of that practice session, I'll put my comp barrel on, shoot 5 to confirm zero, velocity, and 1000 yard dope, and call it good. My current Dasher barrel is sitting at around 1700 rounds. I shot 100 when it was new to stabilize the velocity, then played with a couple bullets and powders for the next 100. Since then probably 90% or more of the rounds fired have been for keeps in matches.

For more general use, I'd look at their hybrid chassis. It offers more or less everything the comp does, but weighs in just over 3 lbs. One is on my wish list.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty nifty.

I'll reiterate, keep your threads clean and greased..........

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Would anti-seize compound be appropriate?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It’s a good thing there are people like you because,..there are people like me. 😉

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Would unloading the rifle be appropriate?

Yeah, probably.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,740
Posts18,457,663
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.