Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Just thought I would share a pic of these beauties!

Hoping Dick does not mind. He is a master at casting these things. Between Dick and RJM (among others), we have a wealth of knowledge here on the fire when it comes to casting

[Linked Image]

These are just one sample. 125 grain hollow points. Dick nicknamed these "Maxine Mouths"! My dad would love that and in fact a few will end up being loaded up for him. I bought my dad a J Frame and gave it to him as a Father's Day gift a couple years ago. Perfect pocket gun for when he has to go to the "Big City" for doctor's appointments and whatnot.

Anyways, I have been working out of town and eagerly waiting to get back so I could take a break and sit down at the bench and load some .38/.357s, 44s and 45s.

Christmas in August! grin

Some Mule Deer is REALLY not going to like these this fall!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i use the powder by the pound source for the powder, and have it in green, red, white, and blue.
i like to make up a bunch in red, white, and blue.
kind of patriotic peeking out of the front of the cylinder.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good stuff. I will have to try these. Thanks for the heads up!!!!!

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What year is your 15? Best damn 38 ever

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
those hollow points opened up remind me of the old "black talon".
The slovenian who makes the mold has one made for powder coating, i.e. no gas groove cut in the bullet.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have shot a number of Dick's 475 HP's, non coated, and they are as good as it gets. Though I have not killed anything with them as I continue trying to draw an Idaho moose tag, they group better than I can hold I am sure.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What year is your 15? Best damn 38 ever

I am not sure, though I could look it up. I picked it up out of a pawn shop years ago. Took it to an indoor range where I was one of the volunteer rangemasters at and over sandbags without adjusting the sights it printed exactly POA/POI at 50 feet. Dead nuts into the X ring. It was a very good sign. This gun stays with the bride as a house gun 95% of the time. I take it out and bash bunnies with it, or take one of our recoil shy lady friends out and let them shoot it once a year or so.

I agree, the Combat Masterpiece has to be the best all around .38 revolver ever made.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Glad you guys like the bullets! That big 385 HP that Ed mentions has taken game all over the US & some in Africa, almost always with an exit. The few that have been recovered show expansion around 1" & weight retention around 380 grs. We've taken large moose, elk & Bison with them.
The 125 gr HP Maxine Mouth's that "Ted" refers to is a rocket from a +P 38 special & very, very accurate in my model 27 S&W & old 3 screw Blackhawk. I've been experimenting with a bigger 182 gr HP for my 357 Maximum & at first I was disappointed with the accuracy. Then I wised up a bit & checked things out, instead of sizing them .358" this gun liked them .357" & things starting falling into place.
I first ran 3 rounds of jacketed 180 gr Remington's through it at 50 yds for a reference & they were amazing, 3 shots in .355". I made a scope adjustment & had 6 rounds of the 182 gr cast HP's & the first round went a tick left so I moved 4 clicks back to the right & ran the last 5 rounds, sweet! Five shots into just over 1" at 50 yds with a great hunting load for my 357 Maximum. I have some depredation tags to fill & it's already open so I'll be heading out in the next few days. Took a deer & an antelope with it last year, should be fun.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dick

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What mold do you use for those 125's? I'm assuming you had a mold designed for it

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
That bullet is made from a Miha mould, they are made in Slovenia & you usually can get them on the Cast Boolits Forum from one of their group buys. You have to use Pay Pal, that's the only way to do the money exchange. The moulds are usually brass 2 or 4 cavity & they are superb moulds.
I size this one either .356", .357" or .358" depending on what I'm shooting it in. The moulds usually come with at least 3 different sets of pins so you can make solids, medium HP;s or Maxine Mouth HP's.
They also make some 6 cavity aluminum moulds that are for powder coating only, no lube grooves, etc. They are extremely easy to cast with & you can make a pile of bullets in a hurry. I have one that drops a 9mm/38 caliber bullet at about 135-140 grs depending on alloy, it's a great bullet in my 38's & both of my 9 mm's.

Dick

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Great looking bullet's Dick!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that is a nice 38 Mackay!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
That bullet is made from a Miha mould, they are made in Slovenia & you usually can get them on the Cast Boolits Forum from one of their group buys. You have to use Pay Pal, that's the only way to do the money exchange. The moulds are usually brass 2 or 4 cavity & they are superb moulds.
I size this one either .356", .357" or .358" depending on what I'm shooting it in. The moulds usually come with at least 3 different sets of pins so you can make solids, medium HP;s or Maxine Mouth HP's.
They also make some 6 cavity aluminum moulds that are for powder coating only, no lube grooves, etc. They are extremely easy to cast with & you can make a pile of bullets in a hurry. I have one that drops a 9mm/38 caliber bullet at about 135-140 grs depending on alloy, it's a great bullet in my 38's & both of my 9 mm's.

Dick

Great info, thank you.

Scott

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Here's a picture of the "business end" of Dick's powder coated Miha .475 bullet:

[Linked Image]

Target shot while chronographing my Rugger SRH ALaskan (top left) and 3 off hand at 12 yds (pulled one left)

[Linked Image]

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 08/13/18.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
MiHec also has a website where he sells some stock molds and overruns... I have purchased several of his molds and they are works of art...

https://www.mp-molds.com/

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
MiHec is on facebook these days too.
some of his molds include pins for a solid, deep cavity hollowpoint, kind or a semi moon hollow, and a pentad.
He is an interesting guy, some of his video's are of testing various bullets in slovenia.
I would have to look, but i think i have at least over five of his moulds now.
You ought to see the 270SAA 45colt mould.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
MiHec also has a website where he sells some stock molds and overruns... I have purchased several of his molds and they are works of art...

https://www.mp-molds.com/

Thanks for posting that link -- there are a number of nice links on it with good reading and photographs.

e.g.
[Linked Image]

or

[Linked Image]

No personal experience with these molds yet -- but I've read nothing but POSITIVE reports, including repeated comments that the molds are jewel-like or works of art.

My will power is being severely tested with threads like this! You guys are a bunch of enablers. whistle

John

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
yondering has posted on here pictures of some of these bullets as fired, and how they expanded. I bought that 38 mould specifically between of the picture of one of his fired bullets looking like a fired black talon.
as to the bullets, i fired a 270saa solid as cast about 280grain out of a 45colt into at least a 4inch phonebook. Total penetration. I recovered the bullet in the dirt and it measured about .94 diameter as i remember.
If you preheat the slovenian's moulds a little, they start throwing bullets almost immediately with no wrinkles. The guy is really good.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
RoninPhx nailed it, they are great moulds, I have about 15 of them including that SAA 45 caliber one he mentions, I'll probably use it on a deer or antelope this week. I have some depredation tags to fill & I like to use a different caliber on each one. The only problem is, there is almost no cover, not a tree anywhere & the shots can be a bit on the long side. Last year I took one deer & one antelope with my 357 Ruger Maximum, one at 94 yds & the other at 123 yds. And did I mention it was HOT! The Maximum will go along as will my wonderful Bisley 41 magnum. Not sure yet on the fourth gun.

Dick

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What hardness did you do those 125's at? Guessing they drop about 150 without the hole?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.