Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After my first plains game hunt, the Dark Continent has a magical hold on me now. All I can think of is going back to chase the massive "Black Death". To try to scratch the itch I plan to buy or put together a dedicated Cape buffalo rifle. I used my .338 Win Mag on my plains game hunt. I am very familiar and shoot that rifle well. I have hunted with it since 2002. It is a Remington 700 in a Brown Precision stock. Stepping up to the .375 or a .416 I am sure the recoil will be more pronounced and stock design will go a long way with me getting comfortable behind the gun. It appears most safari rifles have a classic style straight comb with cheekpiece. Is this the type pattern stock I will want for my buff gun? What about the Weatherby MK V style stocks with the Monte Carlo cheekpiece? I am very comfortable with that pattern too

PASS IT ON!
BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Given a choice,I would pick the classic style.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anything but a 700///

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
700 would be an outstanding good choice!
I’ve never had a failure with a 700 and Ive been using them since 721’s. My cousin has taken his 416 Rem Mag to Africa 5 or 6 times, no issues.

You couldn’t find a better rifle to take to Africa.

That is unless someone has bastardized it with a Sako extractor. Then it is junk.

Last edited by Bugger; 08/15/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So this question was going to come up soon or later. Is a control round feed for a cape buffalo needed? I can understand equipment in the way past may of had some issues of reliability but is that still the case? I have never had an issue with any of my 700's and I have shot my .338 Win Mag for 16 yrs. with no issue. I have a few 700's and Howa's (Wby Vanguard) I could rebarrel to 375 Ruger. I have no issue going the Winchester model 70 route and I have thought about the Kimber Talkeetna too.

PASS IT ON!
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My dedicated buffalo rifle is a 416 Rem M70 in a McM Winchester Express stock. I also own a SS M70 in 375 H&H that I will be taking to Burkina Faso in February. It is bedded in a Brown Pound'r. I am bringing it as I will also hunt a fair bit of plains game along with the Savannah buffalo. The 416's recoil is a noticeable step up from the 375. Both of my rifles are relatively light for chambering.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Roy: When faced with your same question I chose a Ruger Alaskan in 416 Ruger. The rifle needed to be smoothed up in the action area to provide reliable feeding but that was easily accomplished. Many do not like the Hogue over molded stock because of the stickiness but that disappeared the first day in the dusty African bush. The sound deadening properties of the rubber coating is a great asset for stalking in brush. I use the Ruger rings and I have an NECG receiver sight that fits onto the Ruger base milled into the receiver for back up to the scope. You will need a higher front sight to use with the receiver sight.
The 375 and 416 Ruger cartridges are great and I much prefer the Ruger over the CZ 550 416 Rigby because it is lighter, handier, less expensive and has a shorter bolt throw. The only downside for Africa is ammunition availability. I have been told that a large gun store in South Africa sells Ruger ammunition but it was not available in Zimbabwe. 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and 416 Remington are much more available. If your checked baggage does not make it to your final destination in Africa you are screwed. My rifle and ammo got lost between JBG and Victoria Falls. I was sweating bullets.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by C_ROY
So this question was going to come up soon or later. Is a control round feed for a cape buffalo needed? I can understand equipment in the way past may of had some issues of reliability but is that still the case? I have never had an issue with any of my 700's and I have shot my .338 Win Mag for 16 yrs. with no issue. I have a few 700's and Howa's (Wby Vanguard) I could rebarrel to 375 Ruger. I have no issue going the Winchester model 70 route and I have thought about the Kimber Talkeetna too.

All of the $4-8,000 custom rifles being shoved down our throats on the telly by people who shoot 1 bullet at 7 o;clock and call it good are mostly push feed.
Controlled round feed is over hyped as all push feed rifles have the cartridge already entering the breach when the cartridge head releases from the feed rails. This is why they feed so well upside down as some people wanted to do a few years back. (That is a joke)

If the OP is using a Remington 700 in .338 and likes the stock then I recommend he follow with a like rifle, so they are a pair. No-one can design or recommend a stock design for another person without several additional factors being included within the conversation starting with physical build.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I was doing a dedicated Buffalo rifle I would go as close to a Mauser as I could or a M70. I think I have actually had more jambs with controlled round feed but hard to say, it is just the classic dangerous game rifle. I would go British Express or American Classic in style. For those that they fit the Weatherby does do well with recoil but not for me.

If you have rounded shoulders and a long neck then the California style may be for you. It also fits many women well but for me it increases cheek slap and muzzle rise.

Many PHs use push feed rifles of various sorts and even as a dangerous game back up rifle so I would go with what you prefer. I wouldn't worry about mixing a push and controlled feed rifle as a pair but I would like the same type safety on each preferably a three position one. Also the Mauser, Winchester, Dakota style of open trigger would be my first choice as they are almost fool proof.

As far as cartridges I would be torn between the 375 H&H, 404 Jeffrey and 416 Rigby. All of them are good, the action size and weight of the rifle would make the final choice clear.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If the weatherby stock style fits you well .......

The weatherby pattern actually fits me like a glove . I tend to need a longer than average length of pull to be comfortable.
I have a 375 H&H on a interarms Mauser action , that weighs 10lbs all up , and has just about a weatherby-ish pattern stock , and I’ve got no issues with range sessions rested and offhand of 40 to 60 rds at a time . It’s a surprisingly light kicker thanks to the weight and fit

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
You don't need CRF, your better off in Africa with a rifle your comfortable with .... Whatever that might be, and should any buff get grumpy, your PH will do the dirty work, that's why he's there for and carries a 'stopping rifle' ...unlike you who will be using a hunting rifle .....that's why you hand over your hard earned cash

Last edited by Porker; 08/25/18.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The type of stock that is ideal depends on what stock style fits your anatomy best and whether you intend to use open sights or a scope. It's a bit like buying a suit. There is no one size fits all. This applies to all firearms but when it comes to something like this, you really need a rifle to fit you so you can use it instinctively, just like a good shotgun.

The trend these days is for rifles of this type to have fairly straight stocks, mostly for aesthetics and recoil management. Some of these designs do not allow comfortable use of iron sights. I have a CZ that has such a bulky straight stock that I can't get my face into a comfortable position to use the iron sights. I knew they were problematic and had always factored in restocking when I bought it. By comparison the laminated stock on a Ruger Guide gun (no raised cheek piece) allows comfortable use of iron sights or a scope. The iron sights are somewhat elevated, which helps. The best advice is to try a number of stock styles to work out what suits you best, unless your considering a custom stock. Even then though you will need a good handle on what aspects of the stock style and design that are important for you.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
So this question was going to come up soon or later. Is a control round feed for a cape buffalo needed? I can understand equipment in the way pastof had some issues of reliability but is that still the case? I have never had an issue with any of my 700's and I have shot my .338 Win Mag for 16 yrs. with no issue. I have a few 700's and Howa's (Wby Vanguard) I could rebarrel to 375 Ruger. I have no issue going the Winchester model 70 route and I have thought about the Kimber Talkeetna too.

A 700 would work just fine if thats what you are used to. Jorge and I have this back and forth thing we do between 700s ( which I like) and Weatherbys ( which he likes)...they work for each of us respectively.Whatever you choose shoot it a LOT before you go. Repeat. A LOT.

Dont spend more $$$$ on a rifle that you could be spending on your hunt instead...Spend the $$$ on ammo/handloading and practice!

I chose a Mauser action on a Whitworth, but I wouldnt balk at a 700 and FWIW my PH ( for Jorges sake...) used a Weatherby MK V in .460 for a backup ( mainly because it was given to him for free...snork!)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 08/27/18.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Reliability of the rifle action and ammo is important.

But any stock that is rugged will do as long as it fits you well enough.
It's WAY more about you and your skills then your equipment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't believe the CRF is a MUST, although I prefer CRF. My issues are with the 700 rifle as a whole. Brazed bolt handle, UNSAFE safety and worst of all, the flimsy, sheet metal extractor that is prone to breakage if allowed to get too dirty.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad I didn't read this before I went on my buffalo hunt. I just bought a 375 Ruger topped it with a Leupold 2.5x8. I used the money for the custom on extra animals-----another buff. Bob

If I can fiqure out how to post photos, I will.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am a firm believer in the adage that "life begins at .40".

I have shot multiple cape buff with my Dakota 76 African in .416 Rigby. Scope is a Swaro Habicht 1.5-6 x 42 with illuminated circle dot reticle. Mounts are Recknagle QD. I have also taken a lion and multiple PG species (including several giraffe) with this combo.

For followups (or a close up first shot) on buff, Krieghoff .470 N.E.

These rifles have performed well for me and I have no complaints. YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge,
Remember my story about the Rem 700 .3006 that discharged around the camp fire and dug a hole between my feet?
The rifle was loaded, on safe, and over the forearm of the young man with whom I had spent the morning deer hunting. Nothing touched the trigger.
This happened in front of the teenager's father and other witnesses. This began a babble about pros and cons of the Rem 700 - I went to my tent then, but hunted alone for the rest of the week.

My pre 64 M70 and I were unscathed, BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Rem 700 rifles for me or near me in the field.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Winchestermodel70 said " I am a firm believer in the adage that "life begins at .40"."

+1

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
C Roy
You are not going into combat zone. You won’t be out living like an insurgent.

You need a rifle to deliver one or maybe two shots precisely. I would use your 338 which you say you shoot well. Load 250 Nosler Partitions to 2650-2700.

I know a very experienced PH who prefers that his buffalo clients use that combination over all others, even over the usual recommendation of a 375. What you need is a rifle/cartridge combination that helps you place your shot with precision. Save the money and use your 338. You will keep it and it will remind you of your hunts.

I would consider the TTSX as well or the old 230 Fail Safe if you can find some.

Last edited by RinB; 08/31/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.