Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hi, Guys!

I need help with buying the best line for a spinning reel? Freshwater-light line. It seems most I have tried wants to curl up too much, esp. when retrieving it. I've been fishing a LONG time...

I use good Daiwa light reels. Any help would be appreciated as far as brands, etc. Thank you!

Brittman

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nanofil. Casts 1.8 kilometers. Actual break strength is about half again above the rating, but is about half the thickness of the same weight mono. I use 10# on my light to medium rods and 6# on my ultralight and my dedicated crappie rod. Tie on a section of fluorocarbon for leader and you're set. Nanofil looks like dental floss: limp, thin, slippery, and strong as heck.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ft mono I used to use Trilene XL, in the red package. It was limp and didn't have as much memory as other lines.
But the last few years I've used braid wit ha short mono leader.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brittman
Hi, Guys!

I need help with buying the best line for a spinning reel? Freshwater-light line. It seems most I have tried wants to curl up too much, esp. when retrieving it. I've been fishing a LONG time...

I use good Daiwa light reels. Any help would be appreciated as far as brands, etc. Thank you!

Brittman

What part of Ill eye noise you from?
I'm from the Chicago burbs transplanted to green hell, AKA Florida

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used Trilene XL for 30 years & for your type of fishing & have found no reason to change.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I switched to Sufix 832 this spring and love it. Using 10lb test on my walleye rods and crappie jig rods. Takes a knot very well and if you get snagged and can't straighten the hook or pull free you have to be careful to break it wrapping it around your bare hand. Have had no problem with wind knots either, a big plus casting jigs for walleye after dark.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a commercial pan fishermen and have found trilene sensation in solar (kind of a chartreuse color) works well for me. I use 4 pound on bluegill rods and 6 pound on perch and deep water sunfish and 8 pound on white perch. I use the same line on my winter ice rods too. The color is very visible for my old eyes and it doesn't bother the fish. Knot strength is good and it has fairly low memory.

living the good life every day
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thank you, guys!

I appreciate you all taking your time to help me out! Due to your recommendations, I'm heading to my local bait shop and BPS this weekend. I WILL bring home some new line - better now than before.

GET THE NET...!
Brittman

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remember the line is only as good as the knot. I always start out each day with a fresh knot. Improved clinch knot works well for lite lines. Other good knots are the Trilene and Palomar knots which have a double loop on the hook eye.

living the good life every day
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog

I switched to Sufix 832 this spring and love it.

I just set a new ML spinning rig with 832.
Impressive so far, it could be my new 'go to" line.
Knots:
For all super braids, I use the palomar double loop, or Nanofil knot.
For just about everything else, the Trilene knot.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
XL and 832 are good options, been using P-Line CX a lot for many years, not disappointed. Use 6 and 8# mostly. Caught alot of Crappie and other fish, including a 5.5# bass on the 6# on an UL rod/reel. Recently experimenting with light braid, ie. 10-15#......want to use a leader with P-Line - it disappears in the water.

Use the single X "CX" if you try it,

the Double X - "CXX" is stiff and not really for Spinning.

Good fishing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fireline for me. Super abrasion resistant.

I use 8# or 14# stuff is small diameter and sensitive as can be.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mono I use trilene
Braided I use power pro

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve always loved blue label Trilene but tried some fireline a few years ago and it’s fabtastic!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am going to put some Nanofil on one reel and give it a go. I think it is a lot like Fireline but I am not sure of the differences.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mono? If so, P-Line floro...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I may be the only guy that says this but... I use Berkley Fireline on almost everything I have except my slip bobber rods.

Spinning rods for walleye/northern I used Fireline Crystal, Black, or Chartreuse. I like the 14/6 pound test. I put piece of electrical tape on the spool so the line doesn't slip. on the end of the line I tie on a swivel and then about a 3-4' piece of mono, typically Berkley Triline XT or XL 6 or 8 pound test. 8 pound if I'm jig fishing and there is a chance of catching a pike.

The mono leader is used so I can break off a jig if it's hung up in wood or rocks, tie back on quick and get the line back in. You simply won't break the fireline if your snagged.

The only reason mono is used on my slip bobber rigs is because the fire line is too slippery and the bobber stop won't stay in place.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
PowerPro simply has no fhuqking equal,nor is anything else even close.

Only have caught 200+++ in the last coupla days,mainly because Hunting was the focus and Feeshin' on the back burner.

[Linked Image]

Pard broke a NIB rod I loaned him yesterday,on the second cast. It's easy to get the fever.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Every Mono mentioned,sucks heavy ass...but I'm not much into fhuqking around and tote GOOD Riggin' expressly and tend to use it a "smidge".

Hint.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Regular ol' Pline on my spinners and I usually keep trilene on my two boys. They are heck on line and it has seemed to hold up well to their limbhanging, etc. Make sure you load your line correctly and it will cut down on the issues...along with matching the correct line to reel to rod, etc,etc.

I did recently pick up some yo-zuri to give it a try.

I don't understand why some folks can't discuss line without dropping the F bomb. Classy.

Last edited by killerv; 09/18/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
I may be the only guy that says this but... I use Berkley Fireline on almost everything I have except my slip bobber rods.

Spinning rods for walleye/northern I used Fireline Crystal, Black, or Chartreuse. I like the 14/6 pound test. I put piece of electrical tape on the spool so the line doesn't slip. on the end of the line I tie on a swivel and then about a 3-4' piece of mono, typically Berkley Triline XT or XL 6 or 8 pound test. 8 pound if I'm jig fishing and there is a chance of catching a pike.

The mono leader is used so I can break off a jig if it's hung up in wood or rocks, tie back on quick and get the line back in. You simply won't break the fireline if your snagged.

The only reason mono is used on my slip bobber rigs is because the fire line is too slippery and the bobber stop won't stay in place.

This is about EXACTLY how I do it too and once you get used to setting the hook while jigging or trolling with Fireline, it's really hard to go back to mono. Too much stretch for me.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

87 members (35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 989 guests, and 719 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,501
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.