Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Why isn't more sporting books available on kindle format ? Expense verses volume of copies ? I love hard copy to have when I am home but really like my kindle fire when on the road , the digital version is handy ...... Reloading manuals .........Elmer Keith ........would like a copy of gun gack ?

Is that ever possible ?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the problems with e-books is the transfer process from print often garbles data--a problem not only withloading manuals but cookbooks, the main reason neither Gun Gack or Eileen's cookbooks are available electronically. It would take WAY too much time to make sure all the numbers come out right--which of course drives the price up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
JB thank you for the insight.........a good hard bound feels the same in my hands as a vinyl record , the memories it brings of good times past........but the daily use of digital formats makes the kindle or iPad or PC the tools I reach for the quickest when in search of knowledge or production.
Myself being the end of the baby boomers I am conflicted with the use and acceptance of technology , looking around my place of work reflects it ......drafting scales and blueprints are long gone replaced by multiple screens and PC's but the most common tool on my desk is a sharpened # 2 pencil and yellow pad ? The generation right behind me is all digital and will miss out on the knowledge that cannot somehow be transferred.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but archive.org has lots of stuff from folks like F.C. Selous, Baker, and others that are classic hunting books, free for the asking. I had a bunch at one time in my iPad, but they got lost when I had to blow it out and start over. Started getting them back this morning. Not sure how tough it is to download on current Kindles; mine's eight years-old.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[quote=Pappy348]I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but archive.org has lots of stuff from folks like F.C. Selous, Baker, and others that are classic hunting books, free for the asking. I had a bunch at one time in my iPad, but they got lost when I had to blow it out and start over. Started getting them back this morning. Not sure how tough it is to download on current Kindles; mine's eight years-old.[/quot

Archives library feature has a lot of newer books for loan as well as a lot of old magazine back issues. I use it a lot with the kindle phone app

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks , I will investigate that

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the problems with e-books is the transfer process from print often garbles data--a problem not only withloading manuals but cookbooks, the main reason neither Gun Gack or Eileen's cookbooks are available electronically. It would take WAY too much time to make sure all the numbers come out right--which of course drives the price up.

That's the main reason I tend to go for PDF formatted stuff when I download the old stuff. My iPad supports both. With Kindle formatted classics you never know what you're going to get; text jumps all over and images get futzed up too. The PDFs are really scanned copies of originals, complete with creases, library markings and boogers stuck in the margins. The Selous books I downloaded the other day even had the nifty embossed animals on the covers.

The Kindle stuff I get from Amazon is usually of very high quality, but generally ain't free either.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you want to have some fun, download in PDF version the old GUNS magazine - available for free from the 1955 edition through 1968. The stories are great, and the ads will teach you the meaning of the word "nostalgia"!

Get them here: https://gunsmagazine.com/classic-guns-magazine-editions

And yes, you can read them on your Kindle, although they look much better on a large screen.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.