Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I’m going to have to get a set of those Grand Slam Top Mount bases for my Marlin 30-30. The aluminum 2-piece bases are tall and don’t look right.

I’m sure I’ve over tightened a base screw or two before I knew about locktight on mounts. Never had the same problem when wrenchin mx and crotch rockets though.

I assume that your Marlin 30-30 is a Model 336. If so, I have always used the 1-piece Weaver #63B on my Marlin 336s and Mossberg 472/429s. If you use QR rings, you can see down the "trench" of the Weaver #63B and use the open sights if you need/want to do so.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a nice old FN-98 30-06 in the mail today. It's getting Weaver R&B with a glossy VXIII 1.5-5.

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Got a nice old FN-98 30-06 in the mail today. It's getting Weaver R&B with a glossy VXIII 1.5-5.

Pictures or it didn't happen! cool

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I’m going to have to get a set of those Grand Slam Top Mount bases for my Marlin 30-30. The aluminum 2-piece bases are tall and don’t look right.

I’m sure I’ve over tightened a base screw or two before I knew about locktight on mounts. Never had the same problem when wrenchin mx and crotch rockets though.

I assume that your Marlin 30-30 is a Model 336. If so, I have always used the 1-piece Weaver #63B on my Marlin 336s and Mossberg 472/429s. If you use QR rings, you can see down the "trench" of the Weaver #63B and use the open sights if you need/want to do so.

It’s a 30TK, same action. Currently sporting the 2-piece aluminum Top Mount bases, with the tunnel. I mean yeah, when the scope is off it’s great. And I’ve had the B-square, I think, action length tunnel style multi-slot. And I’ve used the Leupold dovetail front, windage adjustable rear, which is great with a larger scope. And I don’t really care for the one piece Weaver that hangs over the barrel.

Maybe it’s just vanity, but I’m mounting a Leupold 1-4x20 and I want something low and I want it to look good. I already have the Top Mount rings in both low and medium, and just need to order the 2-piece Grand Slam Top Mount bases to get this set up just like I want it.
And with the 1x, or 1.5x, or whatever the low setting really is, I don’t anticipate needing to use the irons. I guess I could carry an allen wrench in my kit just in case. But I think the rear soght notch might be visible with those low bases installed.

Last edited by DollarShort; 08/16/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Weaver 1" Top Mount: Low - 0.089"

This is why I use weaver rings on some rifles. Can mount a 1” scope really low. For reasons I do not understand, the “low” rings for a 30mm scope (which naturally sits higher due to its thicker tube) are much higher to the point of being useless

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I put my first Weaver mounts on a rifle in 1962 and have used them ever since. No complaints.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Pictures or it didn't happen! cool

It happened! smile ......... They don't make'em like this anymore.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the pictures. That is one pretty rifle! Just gorgeous!

It is a shame that FN logo is going to get covered up, but I agree that rifle needs a scope. I am not very knowledgeable concerning FN commercial rifles. Is that an original stock from FN from when the rifle was built? Could you possibly post some pictures of the trigger guard / floor plate and also of the safety? What kind of trigger does it have? The old J.C. Higgins FN action rifles had a somewhat strange trigger arrangement.

Thanks again,
Gun Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the pictures. That is one pretty rifle! Just gorgeous!

It is a shame that FN logo is going to get covered up, but I agree that rifle needs a scope. I am not very knowledgeable concerning FN commercial rifles. Is that an original stock from FN from when the rifle was built? Could you possibly post some pictures of the trigger guard / floor plate and also of the safety? What kind of trigger does it have? The old J.C. Higgins FN action rifles had a somewhat strange trigger arrangement.

Thanks again,
Gun Doc

I suspect that this rifle was not factory drilled for scope mounts as the safety is not conducive to scope use. I would not have an original rifle like this drilled but would just pass on it and look for another that was. The price was very good, in fact not much more than what would be paid for a new entry level rifle here with the taxes figured in.

ASAIK, that is the original stock for an FN rifle, but FN did make actions for other gun makers such as Browning and JC Higgins and probably other. I really don't know a lot about them either, just enough to get myself into trouble. I've had a couple of those JC Higgins over the yrs and the triggers certainly are strange.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I agree the rifle was probably not factory D&T, but I am basing that only on the fact that I cannot see FN defacing the logo with holes. The safety might be pretty good for a lefty using a scope. I am building a 9.3 x 62 off a J.C. Higgins FN action. I have the same safety (though not as pretty.) I need to figure out what I am going to replace it with. BTW, and you may already know this, I believe that little segment on the top of the back of the safety facilitates field stripping the bolt. Cock the rifle, pull back on the cocking piece with a cartridge rim, flip the safety about 180 degrees. Your bottom metal looks much like mine, but yours is in much nicer condition. If you take the action from the stock, I would really like to see pics of the trigger. I am going to replace my trigger with a Timney with no safety and keep some type of striker lifting and controlling safety. Again, gorgeous rifle!

Best,
Gun Doc

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Gun Doc,
You may want to PM Jkob about his 2 position wing safety. I've had one on my M98 9.3x62 for a few years now. It locks the bolt and is very quite when used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree the rifle was probably not factory D&T, but I am basing that only on the fact that I cannot see FN defacing the logo with holes. The safety might be pretty good for a lefty using a scope. I am building a 9.3 x 62 off a J.C. Higgins FN action. I have the same safety (though not as pretty.) I need to figure out what I am going to replace it with. BTW, and you may already know this, I believe that little segment on the top of the back of the safety facilitates field stripping the bolt. Cock the rifle, pull back on the cocking piece with a cartridge rim, flip the safety about 180 degrees. Your bottom metal looks much like mine, but yours is in much nicer condition. If you take the action from the stock, I would really like to see pics of the trigger. I am going to replace my trigger with a Timney with no safety and keep some type of striker lifting and controlling safety. Again, gorgeous rifle!

Best,
Gun Doc

Thanks ........

I have a Pacific Tool 3 position safety enroute for this rifle. The gunsmith suggests a Timney to go with the safety so I will go that route and have it glass bedded and free floated while at it.

The Weaver rings and bases will be the crowning touch to the whole project. << << << back on subject inclusion. smile

You'll have to get a 7mm Mauser built on another FN to go with that 9.3x62. Be a very nice combo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you take the action from the stock, I would really like to see pics of the trigger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Gun Doc,
You may want to PM Jkob about his 2 position wing safety. I've had one on my M98 9.3x62 for a few years now. It locks the bolt and is very quite when used.

Yes, I am down to deciding between a Wisner two position (the brand of two position I believe Jkob prefers), or one of the M70 type three position. Right now, I am leaning toward the two position. It is less expensive and does all I need to do. A person I thrust has mentioned it might be a bit easier to keep random debris out of the M70 type, but I'm not sure that is a good enough reason.

SuperCub, Thanks for the trigger picture. Good to see it has a "normal" trigger. I believe I read somewhere why Sears had the weird trigger, but I don't remember. I think it had something to do with how set triggers were made. You're right that a 7 x 57 would be a nice companion, but I think I have the light rifle thing pretty well covered.

Best,
Gun Doc

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I was looking for something yesterday and ran across an article about Jack O'Connor's .270 in Jim Zumbo's blog. I know JoC had his Leupold mounted in low Tilden mounts but from the looks of things these aren't Tilden mounts. Weaver Top Mount?

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Not saying he didn't use Tilden's but those in the pic look to be Weaver's.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is the picture that I have ever seen with those rings. All others have been the Tilden rings Biesen used on the original build.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Same here.

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
If someone would PM Bradford O'Connor (Jack's son and current caretaker of the rifle), he might be persuaded to post up and tell us the "history" of what scope and mounts the rifle has worn over the years. I know he still shoots the rifle, "takes it out in public", allows others to handle it, and even shoot it. As such, my guess is he is willing to do what it takes as far as scopes to keep it "viable and useful" An aside, not that anyone cares what I think, but I find his attitude about that rifle particularly refreshing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If someone would PM Bradford O'Connor (Jack's son and current caretaker of the rifle), he might be persuaded to post up and tell us the "history" of what scope and mounts the rifle has worn over the years. I know he still shoots the rifle, "takes it out in public", allows others to handle it, and even shoot it. As such, my guess is he is willing to do what it takes as far as scopes to keep it "viable and useful" An aside, not that anyone cares what I think, but I find his attitude about that rifle particularly refreshing.

I didn't know that BOC participated on this site.

Owning one of JOC's rifles might be cool, but just holding it would be anticlimactic.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.