-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lots of you are crappie catching experts, so I'm looking for a better lure than the pink jig with white marabou feather that I tried last evening. I'm fishing a gin clear lake about 60 acres and 80' feet deep with some lily pads around the edges. I was jigging it under the boat and nothing. Then casting it away from the boat and twitching it and nothing. Then I tried a slower retrieve just off the weeds and not twitching it and got two with a steady, slower retrieve. That white feather did not have a lot of action. Would a small twister tail or a spinner or a Rapala work any better? What is your go to crappie lure? Thanks.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try some different colored jigs.
A medium sized flathead minnow on a jig works real well this time of year too. I try and figure out what color jig they like first then put the minnow on it and start reeling them in.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Road Runner. The willow blade works well for me. Color is a matter personal preference. powdr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We aren't allowed live minnows in Utah, but plastic ones work just fine. A 2" Ripple Shad (Berkely) on a light jig head or Road Runner head is great. Ditto a 2" Gulp minnow.

When crappie get picky, dangle a jig under a slip float. Wave motion gives the jig just enough action.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gypsi Jig

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bobby Garland 2" baby shad rigged on a chartreuse round head jig in 1/32 through 1/8 Oz jig depending on depth. Most of the colors work but the pearl white, albino shad and electric chicken are always working here in Vt. Throw it out and let it sink and retrieve with twitches. I use a countdown drop to find the right depth then when you get a bite drop to the same count and retrieve. They also work jigged vertically but not as well.

living the good life every day
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday afternoon I had a pink jig and white Twister Tail and the bass ate it, so I tried a yellow Twister Tail. I've never seen such a color preference. Three crappies in three casts and before that I hadn't hooked even one on the white plastic. Very clear water with a light sky and I'm wondering if they just didn't see it or they had that much of a color preference? If its working I guess I shouldn't change, but I might try a black Twister Tail too. Do crappies like black lures in your experience?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall
Yesterday afternoon I had a pink jig and white Twister Tail and the bass ate it, so I tried a yellow Twister Tail. I've never seen such a color preference. Three crappies in three casts and before that I hadn't hooked even one on the white plastic. Very clear water with a light sky and I'm wondering if they just didn't see it or they had that much of a color preference? If its working I guess I shouldn't change, but I might try a black Twister Tail too. Do crappies like black lures in your experience?
Crappie are eating machines. They will take almost any color but black seems to be one they like at least around Lake Champlain. Pink is always good especially in the spring.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somebody say crappie?? Caught these yesterday. Nothing but minnows for us this time of year.

[Linked Image]

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Somebody say crappie?? Caught these yesterday. Nothing but minnows for us this time of year.

[Linked Image]

How were you fishing?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always start with a purple and white tube jig. Will change if needed. This is in Oxbow lakes. Clearer water and they don't work as good. Need other colors, white works a lot of the time. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should have added that I like minnows too. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yobuck
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

[Linked Image]

How were you fishing?

Minnows hooked through the lips on a 2/0 gold Eagle Claw, a 0 size split shot.

Dipping trees in 10-15 FOW. Most fish caught within 2' of bottom. The lake we fish is 40sh years old with a ton of standing timber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is the biggest of the day. I am guessing 14-15" fish. Best I have caught this year.

Looks like i am holding him out but my buddy he the camera crammed in my face w the fish, didn't want it on the end of my nose.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/17/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (007FJ, 257 mag, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.