Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well the Indiana squirrel season started Wed. 8-15. Opening day was plenty cloudy. I went to one of my favorite woods. I found a pignut hickory that the local population was feasting on. Saw 4, shot at 3, and managed to shoot 1 [not the guns fault, age, dry eyes, and the beginnings of cataracts]. Still the one, was head shot! grin

[Linked Image]

My son came up for a hunt, yesterday, but when we got to the woods, it started sprinkling rain. I heard 4, but none to shoot at. My son managed to nail one, a young male. No pics, cause it started raining. We quickly cleaned the squirrel, and headed for the house.

Rather a slow start to the season, plus I caught a cough/cold from the missus, just in time for the season.... frown

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a start if not exactly spectacular! Alabama season still a month away. Gear is all in perfect shape, don't know about me.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Finally got out this morning-4 grays and 1 fox squirrel with the .25 Marauder.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Good for you. Wanted to go, but got this bronchitis infection. Hope to get out again Wed./Thurs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple more weeks and we'll be open here in VA.

Looking forward to it, even though it's been really hot here.

Got my squirrel guns out today, very happy to see the new 452 likes Mini-Mags!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love hunting them, but I don't like to put a lot in the freezer. Pretty rare that I don't get my limit, so 4-5 trips and I have all I want.

I've tried to get more people into it, but rarely have any luck. Don't understand it though, very fun animal to hunt.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you have any cats and dogs? They love squirrel meat. Probably most any meat, but if you get more squirrels than you can eat personally, that is a good use for them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No dogs and cats here,actually works out about right.

Come October I’m more focused on deer.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
What method of hunting are y'all using? Setting, calling, treeing with dog? Guess as a newbie wondering what works. Also, this time of year I assume you still have full vegetation? Are the ticks and chiggars bad like here in Kansas? Thanks for any insight on how your hunting them.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got back out this am. The sun was shining and a good breeze out of the west. Got out and set up under a pignut hickory. 5 min. later, had one bouncing around in the treetop. Lined up, and net result, 1 shot, 1 limb chicken. grin The breeze picked up, and this blasted cough I've had for a week, kept me from seeing another. Hung it up and headed for the ranch.....

[Linked Image]

Nice young female.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
What method of hunting are y'all using? Setting, calling, treeing with dog? Guess as a newbie wondering what works. Also, this time of year I assume you still have full vegetation? Are the ticks and chiggars bad like here in Kansas? Thanks for any insight on how your hunting them.

Find the food and you’ll find the squirrels.

I hit beech and hickory’s early in September and if I hunt after Jan. 1st I usually hunt more oak flats.

IC B3

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I went this am, on what's been the best weather so far to hunt this season. Saw 3 and got 1. When I went to pick him up, I found a piece of his tail, laying on the ground. On further investigation, I saw that I shot him in the mouth, it exited between his shoulder blades, and cut a 3" piece of his tail off! grin In all my years of squirrel hunting, this was a first. I was going to walk back and get a pic of the tail piece, but couldn't find it. Oh well.......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Do you guys find a tree to set under and wait or what is your hunting technique?

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just find the trees where they’ve been cutting and go from there. Don’t sit down much, but might lean against a tree a while if I’m waiting on things to settle down from my walking. I’d say I’m never in one spot more than 15 minutes or so.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Me too Holston, good ole fashion still hunting. Hard to beat for a day of pure enjoyment.

Last edited by DBrink; 08/24/18.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got out this morning, on what had to be the best one for hunting, since the season opened. Went in about 7:30, but didn't see my first one until after 9am. Should have had three, but due to my poor shooting, I managed to get one. Next time I go out, I'm going back to my single shot........

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still over a month away for us. Can't wait, got several new guns to try out on the limbrats.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One squirrel at a time, that must take awhile to get enough to make a meal.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Finally broke the 1 squirrel/hunt curse....got TWO this am! grin Took the single shot, got 2 with 2 shots. Both head shots.

[img]https://beta-static.photobucke...920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img]

I think I have to do things different now with PB to get the image to post. I'll try again.

[img][IMG]https://beta-static.photobucke...920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img][/img]

I don't know whats going on, why pic won't display. Any ideas?

Last edited by maddog; 08/31/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just got all my stuff ready for the morning.

Could not talk any buddies into going...their loss, going to check a few Beech trees that are usually HOT this time of year.

I normally work Saturdays but have tomorrow off due to a wedding in the evening. Hoping to have a limit skinned and in the freezer by 11:00.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My son nailed 2 this am. I saw a couple, but couldn't get a shot. Then the humidity went way up, so we quit.

[img][IMG]https://beta-static.photobucke...920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img]http://[/img]

Last edited by maddog; 09/01/18.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My son and I got out for another hunt, this am. It was really warm and humid. Net result, he got 3 and I got 1. That's probably the last hunt for a few days, because of the heat.

Finally figured out whats going on with the pics. I'm a slow learner. No more pics, until I get the image gallery thing going. Well, I posted in the gallery, per instructions. still trying to figure out how to post pic images here, just like I did earlier this week. This is the only site I am having trouble with. Between PB and this sight, I'm about done posting pics here. frown

Last edited by maddog; 09/03/18.
J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
The season opens in WV on Saturday- I can’t wait to get back in the woods. Gonna spray my clothes down with permethrin tonight and hopefully keep the ticks away. I sited in my .17 HMR and .22 last week, but I’ve always been more of a shotgun fan for squirrels. I plan on taking a 16-gauge Model 12 out on Saturday, might take a rifle later in the day or on Sunday (first year its legal hunting public lands in WV, too).

They were calling for rain both days this weekend, but I’m hoping it isn’t too nasty out- and I’m still gonna get out there damnit! 😝

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m dying to get out, but we’re still seeing temps above 90 here.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I do understand the 85-90 degrees, but I did fight it last Saturday and again yesterday afternoon (I needed some stress relief toward the end of a week). There doesn't seem to be a lot of hickory nuts or acorns where I've been. I did manage 4 the first outing and 5 the second time out even though it was a little windy and they were hard to find in the tree tops. I should have had a couple more each outing but it usually takes a couple or three trips before I hit my stride and cut down on the misses. wink

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Finally, after a week + of high temps and rain, I finally got out this am. Heard 2 bark, saw 2 moving, and head shot the second one with my single shot sportster.

Last edited by maddog; 09/12/18.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My son came up to hunt with me today. Probably the most beautiful day, so far, this season. Saw 3, took 3 shots, 3 dead limb chickens! grin

Last edited by maddog; 09/12/18.
J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Went fishing this weekend, didn’t have time to get out hunting- will try to make it down to the cabin this weekend and get serious about some squirrel hunting. I’ve got a new recipe I wanna try!

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Awfully hot here, but I was gone all week and needed some stress relief. I got out Friday afternoon and this morning. Got 4 Friday and 8 this morning. Squirrel, fried potatoes, cream corn, and tomatoes for supper. Made sweating a little worth it. Good hunting guys.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I was hoping the rain and wind from the hurricane would cool us off enough for me to hit the woods, but the temps have gone back up to the high eighties. Another week or so and it will be cool enough to take the new T Bolt out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First squirrel of the season, with my Kimber Hunter 22 and Boker Davis Hunter II knife.
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
First squirrel of the season, with my Kimber Hunter 22 and Boker Davis Hunter II knife.
[Linked Image]

I call young deer, "vealison". I guess I'd call that one "Squeal".
Ought to be tender!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got out yesterday. It was absolutely beautiful weather. Hit a new woods, Shot a big fox female, and missed another. Heard several barking, but were hard to find.

Last edited by maddog; 09/24/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't gotten out hunting much, wife has been in and out of the hospital several times over the last couple of months. Hopefully things will be better the next few months. It has been awfully hot throughout September, so maybe October will be better all around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Holston

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love hunting them, but I don't like to put a lot in the freezer. Pretty rare that I don't get my limit, so 4-5 trips and I have all I want.

I've tried to get more people into it, but rarely have any luck. Don't understand it though, very fun animal to hunt.

how far were those targets set at?

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My son and I went hunting yesterday. He got 3 and I got 1. Beautiful day, but pretty breezy.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
maddog: could you do me a favor and repost your limb chicken chowder recipe! Ive got a craving for it and I cant find it!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks Mike!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got a couple more this am, with my single shot Sportster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was deer hunting on Sat and saw something new from a squirrel. Little bugger jumped from one tree trunk to another, and landed upside-down, then swapped ends and went up. Woulda thought his claws wouldn't have caught like that.

Same little stinker came over to check me out, then decided to scratch his ear at about 6 feet from me. You should have seen the hair fly, just like my Lab.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
2 weeks and counting till squirrel Armageddon in Missouri.....

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Good luck! Went out yesterday morning, saw 2 and nailed one with my single shot .22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw three, only got a shot at one. The other two were only visible by watching the tree branches being disturbed, never could catch a brief pause to put the smackdown on them. This squirrel had a whole bunch of botfly larvae "woolves" on the opposite side from pictured. Pretty icky. I hate nasty dang parasites. [Linked Image]

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The boy was up, yesterday. He nailed two, and I got one. Started getting pretty warm by 10:30 am, so we hung it up.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
it poured rain yesterday, so I got out the pressure cooker, and did up 20 limb chickens. The pulled meat is in the freexer for chowder, BBQ, teryaki, etc..... Not to mention, I got some more room in my freezer again. grin

Last edited by maddog; 10/06/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One more with the Kimber Hunter and my favorite knife
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got three this morning between 7 and 9 am. Saw two more, but they saw me too and skeedadled at high speed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Phillip, I like the pics except for the awful Poison Ivy in the last one. It likes me, me not so much for it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Poison ivy is some evil stuff! Unfortunately this time of year the woods are carpeted with it. I've not had any rash from brief exposure while hunting, but have gotten some really bad bouts with it from particles flying around when cutting weeds.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, I know it is out there and because it likes me so much I'm pretty attentive to it and do my best to avoid it but you're right some exposure is inevitable. I don't let it stop me from enjoying the great outdoors and my hunting.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tonight: Limb Chicken Chowder on the Menu! Thanks to maddog!

Next week, Squirrel Armageddon in Missouri! laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79inpa
Originally Posted by Holston

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

how far were those targets set at?

Sorry, I just saw this,

That'd be 50 yard targets.

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Finally got a few days off from work- went for a walk with the shotgun and finally bloodied my new (to me) 16-gauge Model 12 on some squirrels. Never been to the area I hunted before, but limited out in about an hour or so. I’ll be back smile

Got the squirrels soaking in some salt water now- gonna grill some BBQ squirrel tomorrow (already have moose meat marinating for tonight). It was a beautiful day in the woods- it’s gonna be hard going back to work!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Got out for the first time this season this afternoon. It was windy and the canopy is still too thick but managed to ice four.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Good job SC. Those all look to be young ones and prime for some salt, pepper, flour, and hot grease!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBrink
Good job SC. Those all look to be young ones and prime for some salt, pepper, flour, and hot grease!!

Yeah, I felt guilty on a couple of them. I intentionally passed on one little fellow, and ended up killing two about the same size. Hard to tell when they're cutting acorns in the top of a tall tree with all that canopy.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Just an experiment for pic post. Photo Bucket been playing games again. This is a test post.

[Linked Image]

No clue what's going on, but I can post pics again. Will post some pics of some we shot earlier this season, maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by maddog; 10/24/18.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Some pics

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kind of a pain trying to post more than one pic at a time, from photo bucket, but at least I can post again!! grin

Last edited by maddog; 10/25/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Now I don't feel so bad traveling all the way to Missouri to hunt squirrels...when I see an easy 1K worth of equipment around that squirrel! laugh

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I just need to get permission to hunt squirrel in my old stomping grounds. Will take the .25 cal PCP with LDC. Pretty quiet and single load not magazine fed. It makes me slow down and take care with each shot. Some days I may have to get the venerable Marlin 39A out for some fresh air. It has only been out a few times in the last ten years. Rusty

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can get a whole bunch of money tied up in hunting gear. Don't want to figure how much put into rifle, scope and mounts, strap and swivels, binoculars, camo clothing and boots, ammunition, knives and game shears. Would be shocking to some folks. Just to hunt some tree rats! I think it's worth it though. Plus you get to go places that would never allow big game hunting.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
[Linked Image]

Took these monkeys for a stroll this morning. This squirrel cost them 10 minutes of torture ( sitting still and moderately quiet) and one big surprise when the little Model 11 barked....

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Neat pic! Hope the younguns had a lot of fun!

Boy and I went yesterday. Squirrels scootin' around all over the place, on the ground. He got 5 and I got nadda....... Gonna see if I can post a pic. Photo Bucket is playing games again....

Nope, back to the same ole crap again, with posting, here on the fire.....

Last edited by maddog; 11/09/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not try a different photo host? Photobucket has been effed up for a good while. I've been using Imgur and it is as simple to use as any of the other host sites. There are several other photo hosts and any of them work well, unlike the sleazy dealing Photobucket.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ZKight89
[Linked Image]

Took these monkeys for a stroll this morning. This squirrel cost them 10 minutes of torture ( sitting still and moderately quiet) and one big surprise when the little Model 11 barked....

Twerps....!! 👍 It’s a term of endearment around my place....

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one I got Monday between rain showers
[Linked Image]

B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Anybody else hunt with a suppressor? I got a new squirrel getter the other day, a Tactical Solutions x22( fancy 10/22) mounted my YHM Stinger cans and an Athlon 6x24x50, the bullet hitting them makes more noise than the gun.
Have had a horrible year deer hunting so I decided to finish this season squirrel hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last one that I shot, Thanksgiving afternoon. Kimber Hunter 22 and Lone Wolf Loveless knife.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I finally got out after some squirrels. Oldest son went deer hunting with his cousin so I just cat footed a bit behind the cabin. I ended up with 4, even after missing shots on the first two. I will say that the CCI Quick Shock stones the heck out of squirrels.

[Linked Image]Untitled by .com/photos/150924633N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Got out for a short Christmas "Eve - Eve" hunt this afternoon.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went out early this morning for a walk around my woods and managed to spot one. There was another on the backside of the tree trunk that I hadn't seen and it split in a hurry.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shot one more yesterday afternoon over at the inlaws. Should have had another but my left arm shaking caused me to miss what should have been an easy kill. Wobble wobble wobble. shocked
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Went back to a place I hunted years ago with my dad. Got 3 out of one tree and another a few yards away. All males.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I decided to go retro today, taking my old model 60, my first rifle and the first gun I ever bought with my own money, although Dad had to do the 4473. It was a very windy afternoon and the critters were laying low, but I managed to find two willing participants. I used some equally old ammo and the game bag is nearly as old.

[Linked Image]

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well boys, today is the last day of squirrel season, here in Indiana. 6 1/2 months before I can go after them, again. Was only out 2-3 times in Dec. and Jan. because of my age and the weather grin. Looking forward to next year, already.

Last edited by maddog; 01/31/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One more month for us in Alabama. I didn't hunt much in January, lot of rainy or windy days and too many doctor appointments for me and the wife.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.