Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Just as the title says. I’m going on a dream elk hunt and need a dependable set and forget type scope. I was thinking a Leupold VX6 2-12 would be a great option with their sales, but hearing the negative reviews has me thinking otherwise. What would be on you short list? Looking to spend around $1000. Shots to 400 yds.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To name a few
Leupold VX-5HD
Swarovski Z3
Steiner GS3
Meopta Meopro

Give a call and let's discuss what would be best for you

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go with a very solid rail mount and a SWFA 6x or 3-9. What model rifle?

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
What rifle are you putting it on? Are you hiking into your hunting area, riding horses, atv's and is weight a concern?

For a 400 yard set and forget scope around $1000.00 I would be looking hard at a Nightforce SHV 3-10 with Forceplex reticle if weight is not an issue.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
It’s going on a custom 300wm by Accurate Ordnance. We will be doing a good amount of hiking so weight is a concern but not a deal breaker.

Doug- did Leupold make any changes to the VX-5HD compared to earlier models? Seems like they have had lot of complaints about not holding zero. I’ve been a big Leupold fan in the past as they are lightweight and good optics. I’ve never had a problem with them, but the reports of others causes concern

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here is a thought. It doesn't take a $1000 scope to shoot an elk up to 400 yards. This is especially so if you are going to "set and forget" as opposed to "twist knobs." On the other hand, "stuff happens." If I was going on a dream hunt, I would make sure I had solid return to zero mounts and two scopes sighted in and ready to go. I'd do something like that before I put all my money into one scope. That said, perhaps you have the funds for that high end scope and a less expensive but reliable back up.

Depending on the hunting method, those with experience will tell you to spend some of your optics budget on a good binocular and possibly spotting scope as well. But again, you might have a big enough budget to go first class all around.

I'd also probably have at least one back up rifle in the group.

Best,
Gun Doc

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Nightforce SHV, either 2-10 or 4-14 with Forceplex reticle. I had a Leupold VX5 2-10 and sold it and went with NF. Very glad I did.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Check out the 3x15 Zeiss HD.I have several and have used them in -15 to 100 degree weather and so far they have been great.Running a Kenton turret.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by herschel34

Doug- did Leupold make any changes to the VX-5HD compared to earlier models? Seems like they have had lot of complaints about not holding zero. I’ve been a big Leupold fan in the past as they are lightweight and good optics. I’ve never had a problem with them, but the reports of others causes concern

I have reached out to my Leupold rep in order to get an accurate answer as to whether or not they have altered the VX-5HD since introduction and if so in what specific ways

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

I have reached out to my Leupold rep in order to get an accurate answer as to whether or not they have altered the VX-5HD since introduction and if so in what specific ways

Doug, I think a lot of us would like those questions answered. Solid reassurance, not marketing B.S. I wonder if Leupold will admit they have a problem.

I write off nay sayers in general, but listen to those I really respect. Some of the complaints I'm hearing come from reputable guys. I believe them.

Personally, I've not had problems with Leupolds. But, like many, share concerns about trust. CS is great, but not an asset out on a hunt.

DF

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
To the OP....All my dedicated big game rifles, that are used under 500 yards, wear a Leupold FX3 6x42 with a long range duplex. Sight in to be dead on at 200 yards. I fire a 3 shot group before each season, just to be sure it's still on, and it's a rare occurrence that the caps come off for an adjustment. Maybe once every 5-7 years, on average. THAT'S "set and forget", in my book!

BTW, these scopes also sport 4.4" of eye relief, are clear as a bell, and gather more light than you can use.

Andy3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For a non turret twister, an older Leupold 3.5-10 scope with a B&C reticle works fine for me out to 500 yards on my Win model 70 300 Win Mag shooting 165 to 200 grain bullets. Good older used ones cost far less than $1,000, weigh less than other mentioned options and work just fine. Good luck with your choice and hunt.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have Leupold 4.5x14’s on my 300 Win mags and 300 Weatherby’s. No trouble so far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Set it and forget it, sounds like you need a Leupold fixed power 6x scope. I've got them on all my "Hunting rifles". (I've tried the 6x 42mm that Andy suggests but have come to prefer the 6x 36mm)

Last edited by kalbrecht; 08/17/18.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 for hunting any big game is mighty hard to beat......Good luck on your hunt ...Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I think a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 for hunting any big game is mighty hard to beat......Good luck on your hunt ...Hb

Yep - get the BRH reticle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’d find a Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42. There was one on eBay the other day with an $800 starting bids that wasn’t getting any action. An absolute steal at that price

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Doug, I think a lot of us would like those questions answered. Solid reassurance, not marketing B.S. I wonder if Leupold will admit they have a problem.

I write off nay sayers in general, but listen to those I really respect. Some of the complaints I'm hearing come from reputable guys. I believe them.

Personally, I've not had problems with Leupolds. But, like many, share concerns about trust. CS is great, but not an asset out on a hunt.

DF

I’m interested in this as well. I’ve had Leupolds on all my serious hunting rifles in the past.

I’ve also enjoyed seeing all the suggestions thus far. I do like the Swarovski scopes based on being lightweight and good optics. Never thought I’d take this much time choosing a scope but I’ve been trolling around here long enough to here complaints on just about any scope manafacturer.

What’s it that they say.....”Paralysis by analysis” 😁

Last edited by herschel34; 08/17/18. Reason: Clarity
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you dont need anything over 10 maybe 12 power for 500 yards.
also look at FOV, when you get into thick timber and need to dial down to 2x in case you bump a bull up close and personal.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I’m interested in this as well. I’ve had Leupolds on all my serious hunting rifles in the past.

I’ve also enjoyed seeing all the suggestions thus far. I do like the Swarovski scopes based on being lightweight and good optics. Never thought I’d take this much time choosing a scope but I’ve been trolling around here long enough to here complaints on just about any scope manafacturer.

What’s it that they say.....”Paralysis by analysis” 😁

No need to get all paralyzed. If you are one that has had good luck with Leupold, then buy a leupold. I have had real bad luck with them. When they go tits up on you, your first thought isn't how good the warranty is, but how far you can throw the fu cking thing... To me, this thread is funny because first, you don't need a good elk hunting scope to cost more than the proposed $1,000.00. Second, I can name off a lot of good scopes that would work and are tough as nails and proven in the sub $500.00 range. Hell, most of my "good" hunting scopes, that have never failed me, cost less than $400.00. One thing about it, is you should hurry and decide so you can throw that scope on your hunting rifle and make sure you trust it for the hunt. It's also better for it to go tits up at the range, then when you are out there hunting... There's only a few more months to prepare, before we will be hunting elk this year...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.