Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by RinB
Using a muzzle brake in the presence of your professional hunter is as thoughtless as blowing your second hand cigarette smoke in the face of your newborn child.

Increase the weight of your rifle or get a cartridge you can manage.

THIS

One more +1

If you need a muzzle brake, you need a different rifle...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by RinB
Using a muzzle brake in the presence of your professional hunter is as thoughtless as blowing your second hand cigarette smoke in the face of your newborn child.

Increase the weight of your rifle or get a cartridge you can manage.

THIS

One more +1

If you need a muzzle brake, you need a different rifle...

Bud had a brake put on a 22-250 before I bought it from him so he could see hits. I tried 1 shot unprotected with the brake on the gun, never try that again. Brake came off and I sold it.

That was a hell of a sharp crack on my little listeners.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My gun with a brake, a 300 Win, puts out a lot of blast. I once shot it with some paper on the bench near the muzzle. The blast shattered the paper. Lots of force unleashed.

I never shoot it w/o ear protection. It is pretty bad.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Several of us used a braked (Mod 700 Classic) 300WM/180xbt from Impala, Springbok, Blesbok, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu and zebra. Pure poison.

How was the brake received? Heard PH’s don’t like them. I ask because I have a great light weight 300 Win but it has a brake.

DF

I tried two types, the "quietest one" was the 3 big holes perpendicular to the bore kind. The shooter and everyone "who correctly stands behind the shooter" is not bothered much at all, if then. The one with the "holes all around" was on a 340W LWT custom ( I didn't pick the brake) it was brutal! We used the sound valve rubber plugs but retired that rig early! As far as the PH, he used brakes himself and either used plugs or had the correct type of brake. Of course, he, like myself and a couple others are ex military and realize that firearms are loud, of any stripe. Stand behind them ( like you do with a howitzer say) and you either cover your ears with your hands, use plugs or don't whine. Granted, I'm not talking about a free-for-all melee with an attacking buffalo, lion or bear, but a Plains Game Hunt. For melees of any kind I've been involved with, I've discovered I have a much better chance of being shot by another hunter than having my ears hurt! But I understand the animas toward brakes, just never saw them as a measure of my manhood nor my manners. smile I don't have any braked rifles at present, but if I did another, it too would be the "three big perpendicular holes" type. I don't know the name, but they work. "Except" one time, on an ill conceived "perfect elk rifle" I tried. It was a LWT 20" .416 Taylor. Too much of everything, and louder than that badly braked 340W! It got sold pronto, ha.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/15/18.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JJHACK
They are beyond annoying to most professional hunters I know. It’s brutal as hunter having that excessive blast over and over after a week of hunting
A PH standing to the side of you looking through field glasses at the shot totally focused on the impact feels the full concussion as well as the blast!
Now imagine this several weeks in a row from 2x1 hunters both using muzzle brakes!

It’s a miserable position to be in as a PH! I’m telling you this from first hand experience. Rare for a polite professional classy PH to complain but know In his mind he will be cursing every shot that hunter takes!

I suppose nowadays, with brakes being so popular in American culture a PH can only "recommend" a certain "Type" of brake, or risk not being hired? Brakes are easily changed out, and not that expensive, usually around $150-$200, which, for an African Bound Hunter is peanuts. I always "asked" about using them during Booking, as I really am a nice guy smile but I'm sure many don't. Its that 'concussion" effect that I feel is the most aggravating, along with the sharp pain, ha. I feel for you guys!

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm curious about a "quiet brake"...

They all seem pretty noisy to me.

Does a certain type actually make less noise, or is that just marketing B.S. by makers and sellers?

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That 700 Classic/300WM was my first rifle to try a "quiet" muzzlebrake on. I sent the rifle off to Wild West Guns in Alaska who advertised it, at the time. I got it back and saw the three big perpendicular holes and thought, how does this work? Well, the gases hit the angles of the holes and kind of cancel each other out, if I understand it right. I just know that, when shooting ot standing behind them, they have less "perceived" nose. I'm not familiar with other types so can't say. Browning's BOSS brake is another God Awful anise maker, IMO.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
That 700 Classic/300WM was my first rifle to try a "quiet" muzzlebrake on. I sent the rifle off to Wild West Guns in Alaska who advertised it, at the time. I got it back and saw the three big perpendicular holes and thought, how does this work? Well, the gases hit the angles of the holes and kind of cancel each other out, if I understand it right. I just know that, when shooting ot standing behind them, they have less "perceived" nose. I'm not familiar with other types so can't say. Browning's BOSS brake is another God Awful anise maker, IMO.

+1 on the BOSS

Interesting about the quiet MB. I may need to look into that. My 300 Win is such a good gun, shoots better with a brake.

Do you remember the make or brand?

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Have never hunted for Plains game, but I’m pretty sure that 150 or 180 grain Partitions would be adequate....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Trophy Bonded Tip by Federal....Nothing else needed..

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
DF- Sorry, I don't remember the name of it. American Precision Arms makes one that is very similar, along with several others. Today there is a wider selection, so I'd research it out. there was an article I saw, awhile back, where someone actually tested the noise levels of several makes. I know the data is "out there", ha, like Truth in the X files, but there are lots of choices. I also like Mag Na Porting as an option. have a good un

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ManyMoons

Interesting bullets. I got some 160's for my 7RM from MidwayUSA. They're now on BO.

Sort of a cross between Partition and Barnes. Maybe more initial expansion and frag than Barnes with the lead front section like Partition, the solid core boring on thru.

Now available for handloaders, great track record as loaded ammo from Federal.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Tell me about them. I have some but have not used them yet. Results on game, etc.?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by DaddyRat

Tell me about them. I have some but have not used them yet. Results on game, etc.?

I used these on a Namibia hunt for Zebra/ multiple Gemsbok and some smaller plains game with 30-06 (Multiple Springbok,Steenbok,Klispringer,Hyena).

Excellent performance, most not recovered. The two that were recovered from 2 Gemsbok just under skin from angling shots.

[Linked Image]

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,455
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.