Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
However, the property still became closed to hunting for a minimum of 30 days.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Michigan isn't that Draconian yet.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by milespatton
If I have to tell you, it would be a wast of time!! You wouldn't get anyway!!

So you have nothing but bias against baiting. I do not bait for deer, just to be clear, but I do feed deer on my place, year around, with no stands near the feed and a camera on it. You will starve hunting this feed unless you hunt at night. What few come in the daytime are doe and young bucks. I also keep salt and mineral blocks nearby. CWD in Arkansas was most likely introduced by the game and fish when they bought Elk from Colorado to stock the Buffalo River area. They want to gloss this over and blame everything in the world except their part in the whole fiasco. If not for the Colorado "experts" that turned out a bunch of Elk with CWD to see what happened, there probably not be any problem in the US. In my common sense view, a pile of feed is a pile of feed, whether it be acorns or corn. Disease knows no difference. I have no idea how to get rid of it, once started, but common sense does not need to be ignored. miles

Maybe you (and game and fish) need to quit [bleep] with the wildlife; maybe spend a little more effort keeping it "wild".

The spread of CWD , blue tongue and other "confinement" type diseases no doubt occur in nature; that people feel the need to "care" for wild animals (that probably exist in artificially high numbers due to all the "love") isn't just exclusive to "fish and game" officials or game farmers.

If your "looking out" for wild animals like they're livestock or something you own, you're probably part of the problem....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
MI DNR does over flights looking for illegal bait piles. They have for years. Pretty easy to see a dumptruck load of orange carrots, red apples, pumpkins, or yellow corn from 2000' up. My guess is that they'll step up those flights. Plus those who follow the law and come upon these huge piles on state land will send in the gps coords to the RAP line.

The other problem with baiting on public land is it gets damned territorial. Some guy who;s been bating an area for weeks thinks he owns the woods. When, in fact, state land is first come first served. Many stories of guys having not so friendly barrels leveled on them.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
The other problem with baiting on public land is it gets damned territorial. Some guy who;s been bating an area for weeks thinks he owns the woods. When, in fact, state land is first come first served. Many stories of guys having not so friendly barrels leveled on them.

The good part about baiting is that it keeps some nailed down to one spot. The bad part is what you pointed out.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
I couldn't agree more. I grew up not being able to bait, I don't know why it changed, and now look what it got us?

So you think baiting caused this? Nothing to do with animals being bought, trapped, and moved around by the game and fish agencies, and people raising deer for sale without a care where they came from? miles

High fence game farms are the source for CWD. Infected animals bought/sold/shipped all over the country. Eliminate the Game farms. There are none in Wyoming. We got our CWD epidemic from neighboring Colorado.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

High fence game farms are the source for CWD. Infected animals bought/sold/shipped all over the country. Eliminate the Game farms. There are none in Wyoming. We got our CWD epidemic from neighboring Colorado.

How do you xplain CWD - before - high fence game farms ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

BTDT.
I used to hunt the U.P. - my last experience killing a buck, and bizarro-world encounter with two "brudders" on the drag back the truck was something straight out of Deliverance.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
[quote=shootbrownelk]

Rare and isolated.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe you (and game and fish) need to quit [bleep] with the wildlife; maybe spend a little more effort keeping it "wild".

You will find that the deer here are plenty wild. Just barbed wire fences left over from when cows were raised. Like I pointed out earlier, the CWD animals are in the area where the G&F brought in Elk from Colorado. No telling where all the bones and such ended up from hunters before the G&F decided to let the public know about CWD. Now if you have a problem with feeding and baiting, just say so, but do not place blame for things that are not related. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston

Rare and isolated.

HARDLY !
[Linked Image]

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 08/17/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Save money, no buying corn!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guys here (NJ) bait by the truck load. I don't bait, I think it's unsportsmanlike. To each his own!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by Dooger
In my area of the U.P., the success rate hovers around 15% with the majority of bucks shot being yearlings.

I don't like or use bait for deer hunting either, but see page 46 and 47 of the linked file for better numbers. 48.6% of hunters in the western U. P. and 36% of hunter in the eastern U. P. took one or two deer each.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2017_deer_harvest_survey_report_628089_7.pdf

Not discrediting that one bit, but I'm involved in an area where we have 1,000's of acres to roam and each camp keeps tabs on sightings and success rates. We're seeing about a 15% success rate. Down about 7% since 2010. Way down since the 90's and WAY down for mature bucks being shot compared to that time.

IMO, we need major public land habitat improvement in the EUP.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am not an expert , but here is my CWD related experience. I shot an obviously sick cow elk last year. She was standing in the middle of a small stream guzzling water like it was her civic duty. She did not react to my approach. I shot her and drug her out of the creek with a four wheeler( she was only a 100 yds behind my friends cabin). She weighed maybe 250 lbs at the most. Was a mature cow that was as skinny as any thing you could imagine. We opened her up for investigation and her intestines were clear like plastic wrap, collapsed and empty. She had not eaten in a long time. I do not believe a sickly animal like this would find its way to many bait stations. This was standing midstream, drooling into the creek that leads to a small pond. I believe that this would be a major spreader of the disease.
P.S. We took blood samples, the game warden we met coming off the mountain took lymph nodes and all tested positive for cwd. She went into an incinerator whole........ Which unfortunately is one of the few ways to kill the protein prions that cause the disease.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wyo 260

A pathetic, slow , agonizing, despicable way to die. HORRIBLE!!!!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I noticed a big area in Canada on jwall's map, and another in Colorado. Theory is that the Colorado one is where the disease jumped from sheep to elk. What about the area in Canada? Connected to Colorado in any way or another species jump? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Miles

I don’t have any background on the spread or sources of CWD per locales on the map. It’s obvious that CWD was already in Mo. before it was identified in Ark. I agree that most likely and probably CWD IS spread by transplanted animals and they
are contained for some period of time before release. Our CWD core area IS where the Elk were released AFTER being transplanted from Co.
They have proven the prions can be spread by scavengers. So buzzards , eagles, etc can spread CWD far & wide.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Miles

I don’t have any background on the spread or sources of CWD per locales on the map. It’s obvious that CWD was already in Mo. before it was identified in Ark. I agree that most likely and probably CWD IS spread by transplanted animals and they
are contained for some period of time before release. Our CWD core area IS where the Elk were released AFTER being transplanted from Co.
They have proven the prions can be spread by scavengers. So buzzards , eagles, etc can spread CWD far & wide.

Jerry

And as Michigan biologists (as well as those in other states) have apparently found, it can be spread in areas where congregated feeding/baiting occurs, since milespatton doesn't think these things are related....

And I'm pretty sure the "wild animals" brought from CO were well fed then baited right into the trap that sent them to your state. This [bleep] isn't rocket science and I'll be damned if the motives aren't more about people playing Dr. Moreau than it is about enjoying wild animals, as much as they can be wild, given the need for people to feed, photo and see/shoot them on demand.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HawkI

And as Michigan biologists (as well as those in other states) have apparently found, it can be spread in areas where congregated feeding/baiting occurs, since milespatton doesn't think these things are related....

Hawk, I don’t remember whether I stated my position or not on that so...

YES, CWD is spread in containment areas thru contaminated food, water, soil, etc.
when you concentrate the animals you also concentrate the source of the disease.

Also I believe $$$$$ play a big role in the motives as well.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,438
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.