Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hello all newbie to the forum here.

I've inherited a .300 Savage model 99 from my 90 year old uncle. He's finally come to the conclusion that his hunting days are over and gave me all his rifles. From what I've researched it's a 1949 vintage. He bought it used for $40-60 plus years ago from "some old guy" he worked with. It had no rear sight so he just put it away and never got back to it. It had been lightly used earlier in its life but not at all for the last 6 decades. I would rate its condition a solid 9, however research also showed it's a very common model and not super valuable.

Being almost as old as the rifle with the eyes that go with it I would like to find a no drill scope mount for it just because it's too nice to d&t. What would be available for this rifle that would be less costly than a Stith mount? I really don't want to pay half the rifles value for just a mount. Thanks in advance for any help and advice. - Bill

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome Bill. Lightfoot is the man to contact. He will chime in soon im sure.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As Joe said, Mike will be along shortly, he makes the Lightfoot no drill mount. Don't sell the value of your rifle short. It may have been one of the the most common models made, but if it has the condition you hint at, it will bring a premium for that model. Welcome to the site, hang around a while.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Bill, I sent a private message. Look for a flashing red envelope near the top of the screen.

E
E
does anyone know where I can find mike "lightfoot" savage 99 scope mount...MY email is ...ga.landryyahoo.com

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mike is out on the left coast, hes probably just getting up. I have one of his mounts and highly reccommend them. Hell be along shortly.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Hell be along shortly.

What, the apocalypse is upon us??? Run!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There was a speck of dirt where the (') should have been.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
E
E
Good morning guys...I have a kollmorgan 2.5X bear cub scope.. 7/8 inch tube with stith mounts on my savage 99 . Is in good working condition...I was thinking about maybe selling both the scope plus the mounts....Can anyone tell what it is worth?...My email ...ga.landryyahoo.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A rig just like you described sold on eBay last July. I can’t remember for how much but you might be able to find it with a completed auction search. Do a search for Kollmorgen Scope. eBay is probably your best bet for getting the most bang for your buck as a seller.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by elguapo2
Good morning guys...I have a kollmorgan 2.5X bear cub scope.. 7/8 inch tube with stith mounts on my savage 99 . Is in good working condition...I was thinking about maybe selling both the scope plus the mounts....Can anyone tell what it is worth?...My email [email protected]

Does the scope have windage and elevation adjustments or just elevation?

E
E
Scope has just elevation....has just one turret on top of scope....the mount has the windage adjustments...

E
E
Found one on Ebay as you suggested....scope was like mine but stith mounts were for model 70....mine are no drill stith mounts for the savage 99...My scope is in working order...the one that sold on ebay was damaged ...no cross hairs and sold for about 60 dollars...I think mine might be worth a lot more as it is fully functional..thanks for the info.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The rig I was talking about was for a Savage 99 and the scope was only adjustable for elevation. Adjusting for windage relied on the screws in the aluminum base. I just did an eBay checl and apparently you can only go back three months on completed items. This one sold in July.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by elguapo2
Found one on Ebay as you suggested....scope was like mine but stith mounts were for model 70....mine are no drill stith mounts for the savage 99...My scope is in working order...the one that sold on ebay was damaged ...no cross hairs and sold for about 60 dollars...I think mine might be worth a lot more as it is fully functional..thanks for the info.

I sent you an email.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a Stith and scope I'd sell for about $275 ifn anyone wants one.

LOL
S
S
Shameless plug from a new fanboy here, I just got my Lightfoot mount installed today, and I'm plumb tickled. Install took me about 15 minutes, of which ten was drifting out the rear sight. (Trying to be extra careful in case i ever want to put it back.) The new mount went on very easily and the screws are centered in the mounting holes, i.e. it fits perfectly. It rides nice and low over the action. So much so that with Leupold medium rings I had to use a different scope than planned. My rifle is a '35 so it's been around the block and the bluing is pretty well gone on the gun, but the mount still looks like it grew there. This is a fantastic option that frankly represents a cost savings or at least costs very little more than buying a mount and having the gun drilled and tapped.

-Greater love hath no man than this, to lay down his life for his friend.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm thinking Lightfoot should start selling an engraved Campfire Savage Collectors Forum limited edition no-drill 99 mount.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by S99VG
I'm thinking Lightfoot should start selling an engraved Campfire Savage Collectors Forum limited edition no-drill 99 mount.

Plus 1 ^^^

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hey, I'm lucky to operate the drill press and a couple of sanders. I'd have to outsource that fancy stuff. Maybe one of you aces could pick it up? wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 20 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.