24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Moose will stand and soak up many bullets that are either not CNS or double leg take-downs. Caribou will often tip over with a single lethal shot that is neither. (....though not always). Pretty unusual for a non-CNS or double leg shot on moose to tip one over at the shot....seen it only twice.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like what Ray posted on the caliber and the cartridge, my friends in Alaska like to use a 7 Rem. Mag. so when I go with them that`s what cartridge I`ll use but I still like a 26 barrel on my rifle, don`t fool yourself a longer barrel generally does have better ballistics, in a 7 caliber bullet its 26 inch barrel.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
I like what Ray posted on the caliber and the cartridge, my friends in Alaska like to use a 7 Rem. Mag. so when I go with them that`s what cartridge I`ll use but I still like a 26 barrel on my rifle, don`t fool yourself a longer barrel generally does have better ballistics, in a 7 caliber bullet its 26 inch barrel.

No moose will ever have any clue how long the barrel was... if you don't get it all tangled up in brush and actually get to shoot.

I like them very short and will gladly pass on the little bit of velocity for handy.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh I`ll get a one shot kill with my handloads,if I can kill elk bulls with my bow , bull moose with a good rifle with the guys am going with, it will happen,i`ll be up there for a month.this won`t be my 1st rodeo nor my last. > as far as myself being tuff enough I worked as lineman for 35 years climbing poles for a REA in northern Minnesota I`ve seen it all wet,dry,cold,wind,tornadoes ,snow, all nighters climbing poles,brush ,trees,bugs and dang animals too.ever cut a tree off a 60 foot pole you had to climb to the top with a chain saw and start cutting tree off pole ? probably not, a 26 barrel on a rifle will be much easier for a me to handle.

Last edited by pete53; 08/20/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh I`ll get a one shot kill with my handloads,if I can kill elk bulls with my bow , bull moose with a good rifle with the guys am going with, it will happen,i`ll be up there for a month.this won`t be my 1st rodeo nor my last. > as far as myself being tuff enough I worked as lineman for 35 years climbing poles for a REA in northern Minnesota I`ve seen it all wet,dry,cold,wind,tornadoes ,snow, all nighters climbing poles,brush ,trees,bugs and dang animals too.ever cut a tree off a 60 foot pole you had to climb to the top with a chain saw and start cutting tree off pole ? probably not, a 26 barrel on a rifle will be much easier for a me to handle.

Of course you will.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was mean. And really funny...... grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Muley crazy

What have you learned?
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Pretty sure you misunderstood Art’s post.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

Pretty sure you misunderstood Art’s post.

Pete's the talkin' type - not the listenin'/readin'/comprehendin' type. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Careful there Scott. He sounds pretty manly.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by muygrande1
My NWT moose was DRT at the shot! Guide asked me "where did he go"!

338-06 225 gr nosler partition.

Mtn caribou same results.

Where they both CNS shots?

I've seen two moose and one caribou stand up without flinching to good lung hits with a 375Magnum. They all did die, but were not bang flops as most think should happen.

While I have seen moose stand taking more than one shot, I have had a few one-shot and real fast kills using a .338WM. One was shot with a 230-grain FS thought the lungs. On the way in the bullet clipped the arteries at the top of the heart, broke the far shoulder bone, and stopped at the hide were one of my friends found it. Another moose dropped to a 250-grain A-Frame through the lungs, and then hit the far shoulder bone. Then I have had several one shot kills (but a little slower to drop by the time the rifle chamber was reloaded)-with a 225-grain Barnes 3-Shock, and another moose with a Federal 250-grain NOS HE though the lungs. This bullet was loaded quite fast by Federal, but it's not longer produced. The moose took a short step forward after the bullet hit, and dropped on its chest. When we opened the chest cavity we noticed that the bullet had broken to pieces in the lungs, leaving behind a very small hole on the far side of the chest.

One of my friends was calling moose with a few grunts, and this moose walked in behind and unnoticed by my friend. The moose was about 20 yards away staring at him, but it was so close that he could not look though the riflescope. He shot it one time though the lungs while pointing the rifle at the moose (7mm Magnum rifle). The bullet hit, and the moose dropped right there.

But a long time ago another friend of mine shot a moose through the lungs 4 times using his .300WM, and the moose stood there, very dead but still standing 150 yards away. He reloaded his rifle, and the moose dropped before he could take another shot. I have no idea how that moose was standing for so long, since the bullets left a huge hole though the lungs and hide. We just could not believe it, but it was true.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Okkkkkkaaayyyyyyyyyy.................

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Originally Posted by las
That’s how I ended up with a 17 inch barrel also. But then I got it for $80. A new barrel would run the cost way up! 😁. First thing I killed with it was a Dall ram at about 330. Have killed caribou out to about 375. It doesn’t seem to be “ broke”!!! 😏

That's lobbing them in there. lol

Don't know if you've ever chronographed your "stub" but with the 180gr Federal Power Shok (blue box stuff) I get 2509fps at the muzzle. With 150gr CoreLokt handloads I get 2545fps. Could probably get to 2700 but hardly any advantage in it. According to Nosler 2509(180) and 2700(150) are pretty much max for a 24"bbl 300 Savage.

I have not chronied anything, ever. No need to if one knows the drops at range. Of course, one should know the range. smile

Both the sheep and caribou mentioned above, were pre range finder. With the sheep, I was broke and had just a few rounds after checking for group right after whacking the barrel - 4 inches high at 100. So i did not change scope setting. I figured that would compensate for the length - then I forgot about it ! I normally sight in 2 1/2 to 3" high at 100. I had a 3 way range estimate- eyeball, map contours, and duplex cross hairs -all agreed it was 300-350 yards. So I held high....just over hair, and put the first bullet a quarter inch above his spine. He went down, then started pulling himself along on front legs. Held for hair and put the second one 5 inches below the first one. He disappeared, and I found him a quarter mile away and 1500 feet lower. a couple fellows who were watching, and that I ran into a year later, told me he went end over end, and rolling the whole way down. When I got to him, I gave him a boost and he went another couple hundred yards, ending up 30 yards off the trail out- only about 3 miles.

I figured the caribou (I said 375- but IIRC, it was about 356 long paces across open alpine), was 300, and held for hair -sighted in 2 1/2"high at 100). Hit his brisket, sending either a piece of the bone, or bullet slashing open the heart. Found the jacket in his off-side knee (Corelokt.)

The sheep, and a moose taken at 70 yards four days later (one thru the lungs,standing broadside, the 2nd spined, running, thru a "washtub- sized hole in the brush" after he bolted) were both with 180 grain Fed Power Shock. All 4 bullets came apart virtually on impact. Very accurate ammo in my guns, but I don't use them for hunting after that. That was probably my shortest "hunting season", ever!

Most of my moose kills have used 2 shots- one to droop, and another to the back of the head from a few feet out. I scart myself......twice ...by not doing this.... smile. In thick cover, if I can get it, I use a CNS shot on moose. Saves all kinds of trouble/worry.... Still use 2 shots tho.

Last edited by las; 08/22/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
OP Offline
M
Well, I understand the passion each of us have for our favorite cartridge. So do I. Thanks for all of the input, now I’m down to range time to find which is the most consistent with the rounds that have the most accuracy. Thanks to each and everyone of you who gave input. It was both interesting and entertaining.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know how you guys are able to shoot all these Boomers? I was just told on another thread that there is no way I could even shoot a 7mm Remington Mag accurately. Too much recoil. Apparently if I show up in Montana with a 7 mag I'll wound everything? It seems that a 6.5 Creedmoor is the most a man can hope to control these days? crazy

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Muley_Crazy
Well, I understand the passion each of us have for our favorite cartridge. So do I. Thanks for all of the input, now I’m down to range time to find which is the most consistent with the rounds that have the most accuracy. Thanks to each and everyone of you who gave input. It was both interesting and entertaining.

You say that like the thread just died. Patience grasshopper!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

I love when people throw out the old hometown geography. This is right up there with, “Well, back in P.A.” Bwahahaha!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
OP Offline
M
LOL... Grasshopper still watching/reading/learning. Grasshopper out.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mike74
I don't know how you guys are able to shoot all these Boomers? I was just told on another thread that there is no way I could even shoot a 7mm Remington Mag accurately. Too much recoil. Apparently if I show up in Montana with a 7 mag I'll wound everything? It seems that a 6.5 Creedmoor is the most a man can hope to control these days? crazy

Mike, given your recent health situation, I'd think you'd give up talking this kind of schitt. No one needs a magnum to kill animals. That was the only point. If you glanced down, and somehow felt bad about your manhood, don't blame the rest of us.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike74

I mentioned before somewhere that the word "Magnum" does not mean much these days. Can you shoot a Marlin .45-70 rifle that has plush recoil pad? This cartridge produces enough recoil, but it does not have "Magnum" on the head-stamp. You can say the same for a lot of other cartridges, too. If you have problems with the recoil of a .338WM, perhaps you can shoot a .338-06, or a .35 Whelen, both which are just fine for hunting moose in Alaska. Also, there is nothing wrong with a .30-06, which in fact may be the number one cartridge with Alaska hunters. By the way, the wife of one of my former supervisors develops loads and shoots his .338WM rifles at the range, and I have seen a very small lady (petite) at the Fairbanks range shooting a .375H&H that's loaded with Federal 300-grain NOS Partition ammo.

Last edited by Ray; 08/24/18.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.