Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If there are any on here, this is a good read! I credit Dave Ramsey from saving me and my wife from the misery and destructive consequences of debt.

https://www.biblemoneymatters.com/d...ew-house-his-debt-philosophy-and-giving/

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Dave Ramsey haters?

I have yet to meet one. Maybe gold bugs?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have followed dave ramseys advice for 25 years and my kids are doing it now and we are all debt free. its common sense that is lacking in this world and should be taught in all schools.

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Dave Ramsey haters are over on suzie ormans website. I didn’t know there was such a war between the two different ideologies but there is if you look them up on the net.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rem141r
i have followed dave ramseys advice for 25 years and my kids are doing it now and we are all debt free. its common sense that is lacking in this world and should be taught in all schools.

So teachers are responsible for teaching finances to kids ? What in the hell do parents do nowadays beside shuffle billy and Barbie between baseball and gymnastics?
Parents don’t know how to be parents. They just want to be friends. Friggin unbelievable.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
The Dave Ramsey haters are over on suzie ormans website. I didn’t know there was such a war between the two different ideologies but there is if you look them up on the net.

Dave is way smarter than Suzie.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

Yeah because she is ok telling people its all cool and shlt to take out a second mortage and pay off a car loan that youre choking on. And her minions like to believe they can still borrow their way out of debt and still keep their $60,000 infinity

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have taught a Dave Ramsey class and I am following the plan. But he isn't all knowing, no one can be. I am a financial professional and I disagree with a couple things but 99 percent of it works and is great

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The haters are insurance guys and financial guys who can't put integrity before wallet. I know a lot of them. I refuse to be one.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I have taught a Dave Ramsey class and I am following the plan. But he isn't all knowing, no one can be. I am a financial professional and I disagree with a couple things but 99 percent of it works and is great

On what points do you disagree with him?

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I cant believe people get their impetus to be debt free from the desire to get on the radio and tell others how stupid they were in the first place.

I guess they think most are dumbasses drowning in debt as they were and they want to rub the faces of others in their superiority.

An you imagine thinking, 'Im gonna get rich on public radio by congratulating folks for not being dumbasses forever.

Somebody should make a radio show featuring folks who beat cancer.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Some gray areas when it comes to estate planning and life insurance. He talks about whole life being a ripoff. It's not but it's not a tool you use for every situation. So to be brief he says don't buy it. What he describes is a bad plan from the 60s not what's out there now. Also, he talks as if his plan will 100 percent of the time work. Well...yeah. if nothing bad happens. For instance, he has you do things based on kids being gone and being able to retire and making x amount in the market. Well...if grandma gets sick and moves in or kids come back home or you get divorced, etc. It would be a bad idea to stop having life insurance and paying off the house at 4 percent interest might make less sense than doing something else with the money. Or your health insurance goes up 30 percent and changes the whole thing etc.

He is talking to people who need to fix a serious debt problem and nothing he says will hurt them a bit. Just that when I see a client it's not a one size fits all, that's all. I am a fan and I really like Dave regardless of my tiny little difference of opinion

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"good growth stock mutual fund" ummm where. I asked my accountant and even put a post on this forum no one could tell me how they got wealthy or knew anyone that ever has from investing in mutual funds. I listen to dave ramsey and he has some good things to say but his advice is for the masses. I have heard him tell people to sell rental properties that have 50% equity in them. so the people could pay off their personal residence mortgage, WTF? wait till people see the value of the property they had half paid off go up 150k in 5 years, after dave told them to sell it. then we will see how great dave's advice was.

he thinks you should only pay cash for real estate. I disagree, but I still say you better darn well be careful and know what you are doing. but that is not advice everyone can handle.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dave Ramsey haters? You gotta have a screw loose to hate this man. Of course, the word "hater" is tossed around indiscrimately these days.

I listen to Dave every day on Sirius and he knows what he is talking about.
I have been looking for a used Nissan pickup 4WD for 10 months. I am picky.
And I was frustrated and, after ten months, had saved up the $31 grand to just drive up to the GD dealer in Johnson City Tenn. and buy a new one!

And my girlfriend said "Dave Ramsey will be mad at you...."

And a week later I found one, a really nice 2010 with just 40K miles always garaged for $15,800.

So let's break down why that buy made Dave Ramsey smile. Right off the bat, saved $15K. Just to drive the new vehicle off the lot costs $2 grand in depreciation. Higher annual tag tax and title, and higher insurance cost.

The new one will depreciate $9 grand in three years.

So in the first three years, it would cost about $20 grand MORE to buy the new vehicle than the used one that I bought.
And my cash is hard earned truck driver money and $31 grand is all I have. So the new truck would have made me broke,a nd I would have stayed broke.
Thank you, Dave!

Now I don't always agree with Dave. He says never to buy rentals on credit. Well my fiancee started buying rentals 35 years ago, got the down payment for the first one with $5 grand cash from the American Express card. That would have given Dave a heart attack.
But, she stuck with it and she did indeed, buy five houses all on mortgages, got the tenants to pay off the mortgages, and now she owns 5 rental houses and the cheapo is worth, according to Zillow, $341K. Total value $2.1 million and has a mortgage on only one and that is for only $76K.
Shirley is a real estate multi millionaire.

But Dave does society a big favor with his show and the two main things he beats people up for are, the screw up I almost made of buying a new car that I couldn't afford, even though I have the cash. And number two is running up huge student loan debts.
I got a 4 year degree and worked my way through college and didn't owe a dime, and never had heard of Dave Ramsey at that time I think he was still mowing lawns in high school then.

But he gets a guy on the show with a 4 year degree in Anthropology, with $48K in student loans, and the guy if flipping burgers at McDonalds and moaning about not being able to get a job and whining about his debt, Dave gives that guy an ass whipping! Which is well deserved! And Dave tells him, "If you are smart enough to have a 4.0 in college, you ought to be smart enough to know you CANT GET A JOB WITH A BATCHELORS DEGREE IN ANTHROPOLOGY. And he tells 'em, "If you want to get that degree, and have a good time in school and not borrow a dime, more power to you. But $48K in student loans? STUPID!"
Dave does society a lot of good.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Before I ever heard of Dave Ramsey ( still only know the gist of what he preaches...) I heard from my father...and I listened to him. Ive been debt free since I was 37 years old.....and I believe my dear old dad was right about it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
True. There are people who cannot handle their money without very strict rules and they get tangled easily and are addicted to debt. Those people are who he is talking to. The next guy in my door might be a surgeon who only has debt on his house and it might be stupid to pay off a 4 percent note when it's tax deductible and he could make 12 percent in his mutual fund with that money, etc. There's a reason we have to fill out suitability forms. The plan has to fit that one individual or its a no go

Last edited by mjbgalt; 08/20/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Because of dave ramsey, every vehicle I own is 15-20 years old

That sombitch 😄

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
True. There are people who cannot handle their money without very strict rules and they get tangled easily and are addicted to debt. Those people are who he is talking to. The next guy in my door might be a surgeon who only has debt on his house and it might be stupid to pay off a 4 percent note when it's tax deductible and he could make 12 percent in his mutual fund with that money, etc. There's a reason we have to fill out suitability forms. The plan has to fit that one individual or its a no go

All of what you said and most especially your last sentence. All of what Ingwe said, too. It should start in the home and by example.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There are definitely higher end financial planning situations where it doesn't make sense and there are situations where holding that real estate is better. But again he is talking to people who are in bad shape financially and putting them debt free first never hurts them. They might miss out on a real estate market move but again, being debt free is never a mistake.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Theres math and there's behavior. He is teaching behavior

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,395
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.