Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Has anyone trout fished this stretch? What little research I’ve done highlights paddlefish but I’m interested in trout.

I don’t need specifics at all just to know if this is a worthwhile area to devote a few days.

Thanks a lot,

Efw

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pm sent....

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No trout in that stretch, water is too warm, think catfish.... hint

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks I’ve moved our destination upstream substantially thanks.

Looking forward to big river fishing & weather permitting some alpine lake backpacking & fishing!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by efw
Thanks I’ve moved our destination upstream substantially thanks.

Looking forward to big river fishing & weather permitting some alpine lake backpacking & fishing!

how far upstream?......I float all the time from carbella to emigrant......you can find that on the fishing access maps....bob

IC B2

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
We’re going to Livingston to rent a boat & float one of the stretches down from there or from up to there.

Also hoping to visit Thompson Lake on an overnight (or 2) backpacking trip to check that & adjacent Charlie White Lake out, all weather permitting of course; I know it can be wicked that late and change Fast.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Yellowstone and all of it's tributaries from Livingston to Columbus, maybe Park City are fishing well right now. For trout!
The fishing is good until late fall!
After labor day weekend the number of boats on the rivers taped off. When big game season opens, you almost have the river to yourself.

Ken

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

when is your trip planned for?......Thompson lake good …..Charlie lake maybe not so much...last I heard it is all overgrown with willows, hard to get around.

traffic on the river is way down and getting better....bob

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Elijah & I are leaving when I get off work the evening of Friday, September 28 and driving through the night toward Livingston.

Don’t have to be home until Sunday Oct 7.

I’d hoped that many would be out hunting and we’d have the river to ourselves. Normally we’d be the ones with guns rather than rods in our hands but Elijah really loves trout fishing and being his first trip west like this I couldn’t argue it’ll be less intense w/o a tag that has “got” to be punched!

Thanks for all the tips here guys I’m very grateful!

Anybody ever camped at Emerald Lake Campground in the West Rosebud drainage? I’m thinking that the lakes downstream from there look mighty awesome... Rosebud, Mystic, Island, and Silver.

Catch is (I’m gonna catch hell for this I know...) I’m driving my Prius out and not sure how road conditions are? I’ll be checking in at ranger station anywhere I go first by phone and likely in person to make sure things are a go and locals know our whereabouts but looking all over at Intel right now.

Had thought about swinging south into Wyoming but now that I see Montana fishing license price structures I think we’ll stay there the entire time.

Thanks again all!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Emerald Lake is in my backyard so to speak. I am sure the camping there is good. The lakes you are talking about are upstream from Emerald Lake. In this order, above Emerald is West Rosebud Lake, which is just above Emerald. Then just another mile or less is the Northwest Energy Hydro electric power plant. Small and scenic. Then in order again, the next lake is Mystic which is actually a dam . It is approx 3 miles up above the power plant. Fairly steep hike, but very pretty. On the upper end of Mystic is Island Lake. Then above Island is Silver and one more yet called Star. All of them are good fishing and all backpack-able to. I can't remember what the elevation is, but probably eight or nine thousand ft. Montana's highest peak is nearby at 12000 ft. plus . The trail to Mystic is also the main trail to Granite.
Just a note, if you are coming via I-90, you will turn off the interstate at Columbus which is 80 miles east of Livingston. You will basically follow the Stillwater River to Absarokee and Fishtail, and then turn off the pavement on the West Rosebud River. That will be the end of the pavement. I can't remember how many miles the fairly rough road to Emerald is, but you will have to take it easy on your car. I think you will be okay, but it is rocky!
You will like it up there and the hike to Mystic can be a day hike or an over-nighter. The weather is usually very nice and there will be frost every night unless it is raining or snowing!
There are other alternatives in the same area that go to the foot of the Beartooths, and one is paved to the end. Check out the Stillwater River ending at Woodbine Campground. Souix Charley Lake is an easy 3 mile hike from there!
PM me if you have any questions. I live in Columbus by the way. I probably have pics of all of those places by the way!
Ken

Last edited by kennymauser; 08/30/18.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by efw
Elijah & I are leaving when I get off work the evening of Friday, September 28 and driving through the night toward Livingston.

Don’t have to be home until Sunday Oct 7.

I’d hoped that many would be out hunting and we’d have the river to ourselves. Normally we’d be the ones with guns rather than rods in our hands but Elijah really loves trout fishing and being his first trip west like this I couldn’t argue it’ll be less intense w/o a tag that has “got” to be punched!

Thanks for all the tips here guys I’m very grateful!

Anybody ever camped at Emerald Lake Campground in the West Rosebud drainage? I’m thinking that the lakes downstream from there look mighty awesome... Rosebud, Mystic, Island, and Silver.

Catch is (I’m gonna catch hell for this I know...) I’m driving my Prius out and not sure how road conditions are? I’ll be checking in at ranger station anywhere I go first by phone and likely in person to make sure things are a go and locals know our whereabouts but looking all over at Intel right now.

Had thought about swinging south into Wyoming but now that I see Montana fishing license price structures I think we’ll stay there the entire time.

Thanks again all!!!

If you're going there, check out The West Rosebud creek...it goes through some NF land and used to be exceptional fishing, though in all fairness I haven't hit it in a loooong time. If you don't mind a little walking and casting the Yellowstone proper ought to be good east of Livingston...around Reed point and greycliff.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 62 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.