Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
magtech Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Why do people need a compass when the sun is up? Am I the only one who orients themselves based on a map/ time of year and just understands their place on a map? I mean the sun doesnt change its angle much throughout a 2 week span. Or am i missing something here.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have to drive many miles to be in areas of high flat desert where you can get totally screwed up on a cloudy day. It all looks the same for many miles and if the clouds are low, you can't even see the mountains in the distance.

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 08/21/18.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thick clouds.

Yes, if the sun is up you don’t need one. However, when you find yourself navigating a couple miles in unfamiliar territory in a driving rain with the sun setting you’ll appreciate a compass. I now have one tied to my pack and a small one on my watchband.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by magtech
Why do people need a compass when the sun is up? Am I the only one who orients themselves based on a map/ time of year and just understands their place on a map? I mean the sun doesnt change its angle much throughout a 2 week span. Or am i missing something here.

Do you only hunt on sunny days?
What sort of terrain do you hunt 90% of the time?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 15 years ago my partner and I drew moose tags just west of Yellowstone. One morning we planned to hunt a canyon that paralleled the road about 1/2 mile away. The terrain was almost totally flat, moderate timber, and no underbrush. It was heavily overcast and snowing lightly. My partner took off from the truck on the road and headed for the canyon with me behind him. We'd gone about 1/2 way when things just didn't feel right to me. I pulled out my compass. We were supposed to going due south but my compass said due north. I was just getting ready to tap him on the shoulder when he walked out on the road only 200 yards from the truck. I thought it was a lot funnier than he did. The ol' dominant leg trick proved itself that day.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We were hunting in Wyoming a few year ago. We left in the morning with sunny sky's, by mid morning you couldn't see 10 yds. The fog was so thick. That's why you need one!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lots of uses for a compass besides orienting yourself.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The point of a compass is magnetic north. So, there....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Makes me feel guilty, I have never used a compass in the woods. On a boat in the ocean yes, but never in the outdoors.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Anyone who asks that question would probably not understand the answer.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Makes me feel guilty, I have never used a compass in the woods. On a boat in the ocean yes, but never in the outdoors.

What's the best lightweight solar charger for your compass?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Obviously you have never wandered into the fall woods on the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I thought everyone knew that you just look on the side of trees for moss to indicate North. This plan requires modification in the desert or above treeline.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I was waiting for that!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Or am i missing something here.

Yes!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Dammit man, stole my line smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Or am i missing something here.

Yes!

+1

I don’t think your experience extends to thick, deep, dark woods where you can’t see the horizon, and might be able to only see 15’ in front of yourself.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whelenman
We were hunting in Wyoming a few year ago. We left in the morning with sunny sky's, by mid morning you couldn't see 10 yds. The fog was so thick. That's why you need one!!

Oh, the fog. One time my folks were camping near Port Angeles, WA. Dad took his small boat out on the sound one blue bird morning. He was navy with old habits so he took a bearing when he left the dock. A couple hours later, pea soup fog rolled in. Dad set his compass down on the seat next to him and followed it back. He hit shore only a couple hundred yards from the dock. He could have found shore simply by going south, but he wouldn't have been anywhere close to the dock. Without the compass, though, he could have ended up in Alaska.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I barely know how to turn my GPS on, and do so only a couple times a year and only to see how far I have walked.

Other than that it is all by map and when the fog sets in, in deep timber or when you're hiking somewhere new in the dark, a compass is invaluable.

Last edited by T_Inman; 08/21/18. Reason: grammar

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The point of a compass is the end that points north.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.