Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I barely know how to turn my GPS on, and do so only a couple times a year and only to see how far I have walked.

Other than that it is all by map and when the fog sets in, in deep timber or you're when hiking somewhere new in the dark, a compass is invaluable.
I use a GPS all the time. It does some amazing things. However, I try to stay proficient with a compass and map and carry them in my pack. It's easy to get complacent with them, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"What's the point of a compass" When all else fails is a good reason to have one. It works day or night , fair weather or foul, doesn't require charging, and it is a friend that will tell you that you are wrong when you are.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
A compass is flat out useless if you don't know how to use one. Its an extremely valuable tool if you learn how to use one. They don't weigh much, need batteries, or stop working when you loose satellites. With the knowledge of how to use a compass and an accurate map you can always know your location.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm apparently the only wuss here. I never head to the woods without a compass and usually a map. I've been disoriented in fog, swamps, and in the dark.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm apparently the only wuss here. I never head to the woods without a compass and usually a map.

Where did you get that idea? smile

I always have the 10 Essentials with me, even on a sunny summer dayhike. The mountains can kill you. A map and compass are one of the ten...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by magtech
Why do people need a compass when the sun is up? Am I the only one who orients themselves based on a map/ time of year and just understands their place on a map? I mean the sun doesnt change its angle much throughout a 2 week span. Or am i missing something here.

A post of yours from 2011 - my, how thing's have changed. whistle

Depending on what your willing to give up, new smartphones nowadays have a great ability to do what you need. For instance, i have a newer android phone and it provides me with a wide variety of apps for what i need. This paired with the gps feature helps me tremendously. Google maps gets me to where i need to go and has roads on it that i dont think are even roads anymore. Since i hunt in montana i use montana parcel app. This is a satellite view of an area. Kinda similar to google maps, but when i click on a certain area on the screen it shows me who owns the parcel and its boundaries. I also have a navionics app for lakes. it ties in with my GPS and shows me all my info of where i am on a lake my speed, and the lake contour. I found that i can change the map overlay to terrain and look at the terrain anywhere in the US. I also use this for planning my hunts in montana as i can find elevation/angles among other things. I have not yet taken my phone into the field as a carry along GPS/smartware system, but this year i might. I'll probably get a mostly water resistant case/ bag and carry it along. With the apps above i can track routes avg speed, set waypoints. Anything a traditional GPS can do plus a whole lot more. I have an extra battery for it in case mine dies, so i tihnk i am ready. My only concern for this item would be durability. Do i really want to drop my phone off a cliff or in water.... But i think the pros outweigh the chance/probability that this might happen. Also i have an app that calculates ballistics for alot, Shooter. Its ties in with GPs/weather for this also. I'm sure theres more great apps out there. If i were you i'd definetly look into this.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm apparently the only wuss here. I never head to the woods without a compass and usually a map. I've been disoriented in fog, swamps, and in the dark.

I always have a compass, I guess it's the old army training in me. Heck, I've been disoriented out in the prairie at dark.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I usually only get dazed and confused sitting around the campfire at night, tumbler in hand......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If there is any terrain I can typically navigate without any aids. On the other hand, the areas of perfectly flat eastern woods can be rather difficult to nav in the dark or very thick overcast. I have one tree stand in a perfectly flat section of woods and it always amazes me how easy it is to have your mental compass shift.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Heavy overcast ceiling, fog, darkness, snow, and any of the previous paired with an absence of topography. Also its batteries never fail. It also helps to have some knowledge of the terrain and the relative positions of ones objectives. Fog and heavy ceilings have been my major issues and I once did a complete circle in Alaska's foggy alders before getting out my equipment. Still, one could sail the seas for years with a compass and never find Hawaii, so it's not the end all for serious long distance navigation.

GPS is the absolute mindless ultimate. With 5 minutes of schooling one could leave and tie up at the correct boat cleat in Hawaii. It's only shortcoming is batteries.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/22/18.

1Minute
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Batteries, and its an electronic device that can malfunction even with satellite reception and charged batteries. I've seen it happen.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The National Forest I spend most of my time in is very very dense, it’s easy to get turned around because it’s all underbrush and pines, plus it’s flat. And a lot of times it’s cloudy or dark when I’m coming in/out of the woods. If I get turned around, all I have to do is know which general direction the road is, and follow my compass to the road. Once I hit a road, finding my way to the truck is no issue. I use OnX maps to mark most of my spots and I can use it to navigate out but have been known to forget to charge up my phone the night before. Most of the time I can get out on my own, but there’s been a few incidents that had me a little worried and I was glad I could use a compass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why do people need a compass when the sun is up? Am I the only one who orients themselves based on a map/ time of year and just understands their place on a map? I mean the sun doesnt change its angle much throughout a 2 week span. Or am i missing something here.

We have a lot of cloud cover, especially during deer season. It's possible to not see the sun for a week.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Smokepole is correct. I have had 2 different Garmin GPS fail. One had an internal battery fail. The other failure was a complete loss of internal software. Fresh batteries did not fix either malfunction.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

After growing up in the country and being outside all the time in a relatively small piece of land in the Midwest I never carried a compass.

Then I went fishing with a buddy whose background was identical to mine and we got LOST LOST.

Now even when on a well marked trail in an area we know well we have compasses. We have taught our kids to use them too.

As has been said in the pitch black, fog, or WHEN (GPS) batteries go dead it’s a lifesaver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why do people need a compass when the sun is up? ...am i missing something here.

Yes.

Is this a troll post to provoke? confused

As said, when you most need direction, you can't see the sun. Like others here, I've seen the sun disappear totally within minutes, with no warning, and not show again for days. That is extra bad 100 miles out in the endless forest and swamp plateaus of central BC and many other places. And a general heading south by clear sun may not be accurate enough when a 195 heading is critical to find a camp in the woods. Besides the basics I use a compass to find blood trails and down game across a canyon or swamp from me, as described in a post long ago. Have also used a compass to precisely stalk bedded game I have spotted.

I ain't keen on trusting my life to something that runs on batteries when I have a backup. Walking a heading by compass is easier for me than following a GPS screen, but maybe I don’t know the tricks of the device.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Thick clouds.

Yes, if the sun is up you don’t need one. However, when you find yourself navigating a couple miles in unfamiliar territory in a driving rain with the sun setting you’ll appreciate a compass. I now have one tied to my pack and a small one on my watchband.

+1!

What's this "Sun" you speak of?

Combine no sun with flat terrain and unbroken forest and you've got the recipe to get a might-bit turned around. wink grin

Last edited by Teeder; 08/27/18.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Obviously the OP is a bit shy of overall outdoor experience--really outdoors, I mean out of town and all....but it is ok, he can get some. You guys ever have the sun go down before you get back to camp? I think that is still allowed. Haven't checked the regulations book lately.

Last year, my BIL and I were stillhunting a new area in the UP. Had compass and GPS. A single lumber road was it for our 2hr scout timeframe and we started off it. Meet back in two hours. Right. My compass read exactly opposite of what it should and it took me a while before I pulled the GPS out. Hadn't eaten any mushrooms and it was clouded low with a storm blowing in, so figuring out the compass was lying like a politician and believing the GPS was not too difficult. But disconcerting. Got back, and showed BIL who had the exact make and sure enough gave North for my South. A first for me....but will check from now on.

BIL still bitched about me being late. He said there was no excuse.

I kept the damn thing and it still reads 180 degrees off even in iron free zones. Gonna give it to a democrat the first chance I get.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just means the magnet or needle is backwards. Poor assembly. A magnet, and a pin or nail, floated on bark in a puddle will show the same N-S line. A compass works well, when you have tree canopy blocking your view.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A guy sure can learn some stuff on the internet...

Defend the Constitution
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
772 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 88 invisible), 2,835 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.