Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
As for the rangefinders, there were different companies involved making them, starting in WW1.
Bausch&Lomb made a rather large one compared to some of the others, but I don't believe they continued making them after WW1. We have one of those in almost mint condition hanging in our camp as a decoration.
The most popular was the Barr&Stroud which was made in Scotland until about the 50s. They were made for various countries in both meters and yards as for measuring. Also several sizes, but the most popular for hunting was/is the 250 yard version, meaning that was the minimum ranging distance. Harry Kieser primarily dealt in Barr&Strouds, which he got from a source in Canada.
Germany of coarse had them also, and as with most German optics they were excellent. But that said some were built for specific purposes, and weren't usable at all for others. Problem with these things and all the other great optics of that era is age and the breakdown of the glue holding the lenses together causing lens seperation.
But as for performance, there is nothing better made today, at least being available to the civilian market.
If you can see the target, you will get a range everytime, end of story, and you wont do that with even the very best lazers.
I still have a Swiss made unit made in the mid 70s which is about identicle in looks and use other than it being in meters.
As for overall quality, its a better unit than the Barr&Stroud, but I don't feel it performs any better.
Make up your minds to one thing, the success of hunting, especially long range hunting revolves around optics, and not just guns and good shooters.
L/R hunters In PA had to recognize that early on due to the type terrain there and the manner in which they were forced to hunt it, and that could work well for everybody.

Last edited by yobuck; 08/21/18.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks again. The old Barr & Strouds I have seen must have had the glue issue or been banged up.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
If it looks good as for overall condition, then chances are it still is good as for use.
But there are some adjustments on them, as well as a couple simple things that could render them useless unless your familiar with them.

As for a load, about 85 gr of H 570 with the 139 gr Norma bullet was pretty popular.
Frankly, were still using that powder in some large capacity 338s.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks that was several years ago but I wish I had bought it even if only for decoration.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.