Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Really on the fence on the Triax. Been shooting a Drenalin for 7-8 years (maybe more). It is fairly fast, always puts arrows where I want. The Triax does a good job of addressing the two issues I don't like with the Drenalin - too long and too noisy. At 30 yards, it is deadly on deer. Any farther than that I pass because deer can react (either duck or jump) before arrow contact. The majority of my stands are set for less than 30 yards.

My son dropped $1800 on a new Triax all decked out. Its a sweet looking and shooting bow, very quiet. No hand shock. At 40 yards and in, my Drenalin keeps up with his Triax for accuracy. Stretching out to 60, he has an advantage (might be my eyes and form...) - but not sure why I'd shoot that far. I can't steal my son's bow - hes RH and I shoot LH (damn the luck).

Every year I've shot the new Mathews bows (HTR, Halon, Chill, Creed, etc.) but always found I could resist; just not enough advantage over my Drenalin. My Drenalin is 70lb pull and 29.5" draw length. The Triax seems to be a step change - or has the marketing hype got me?

Do I take the plunge and buy a Triax or stick with my Drenalin? As I approach mid-50s, should I step down to 60lb pull or just take a 70lb bow and turn it down to 60?

What should I do? Anyone else in a similar dilemma?

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If it feels good, and shoots good, do it... you won’t be disappointed...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't know your draw length or what your hunting style may be (How late in the season you may archery hunt or shoot archery out doors). Looks like you are a Mathews guy regarding the bows you are trying. From the perspective of a Hoyt guy I would encourage you to give a used Hoyt carbon riser bow a try.Lot of great bows out there & sounds like you are still quite pleased with your current bow. If you are pleased with the aluminum riser, perhaps there may be little to no reason for a change.

I live a quit a bit north & west of you. I have longed for a warmer grip on many cold morning archery hunts in the past. The Carbon riser answers the warm to the touch desire quite well amongst other confidence building advantages like lighter & quiet and no hand shock as well.

Warm to the touch is what grabbed my attention with the carbon risers. the feel of the shot is what kept me watching for an affordable used option. New the price of the carbon risers are a tough sell for me, your milage may vary. Just a few options to consider below.

Carbon Element
Carbon Spider
Carbon Defiant
Carbon Defiant 34 for the taller guys
Carbon RedWrx For the non price conscious individual

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
get it you are over due for a new bow and technology is past that Drenalin now

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried a couple at the local shop. For me they were very heavy compared to most bows in that price range and had that dreaded Mathews top heavy feel. Was not real impressed with Hoyt's new offerings either. They took a nice smooth cam from last year and made it harsh with a bump in the draw cycle just to add a couple fps. Of all the new bows I shot I think the PSE was probably the nicest. In the end I kept my Carbon Defiant from last year as nothing I shot from this years crop improved on it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I guess I am of the "if it ain't broke don't need to fix it" mindset.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I agree with center shot..... personally the Drenalin was one of their best bows, as was the switchback...... I shot Matthews for 10 years, than switched to a Hoyt Carbon Spyder. Hoyt has not improved enough for me, to quit shooting my Spyder. I shot the Triax. not a big fan of short bows, but it was smooth and it was quiet.

I would save your money for more hunting tags..... good luck

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I guess I am of the "if it ain't broke don't need to fix it" mindset.

Me too. I'll just keep using my switchback and kililng [bleep] with it. I'm still shooting heavy arrows and getting 270 fps. 10 short years ago that was smokin fast. They still die so....

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not sure what kind of deer you are shooting. I shot a Drenalin for a few years. Possibly the best bow I have ever owned. I seriously doubt the difference in speed between a Triax and a Drenalin will make a real difference in deer avoiding the arrow.
I’d go to a pro shop, shoot a few bows and decide what works best for you.

NRA Patron
D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Think I leaning to the "if it ain't broke don't need to fix it" mindset.

Thanks for your input guys!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you are passing on any deer over 30 yards because you don’t feel your bow is quiet or fast enough you should seriously consider an upgrade. I know people have been killing deer with bows long before we were alive but why not take advantage of modern technology? I want every advantage I can get while spending my limited time in the stand.

Wac em and stack em
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I shoot a Z7 blacked out.
I bought it new and it has been very good to me, this thread reminded me I need a new string.
As much as I really really like the Triax, I still like my Z7 too and since I will be building a home next spring I am not going to upgrade.
Actually don’t really want to upgrade yet as this Z7 just keeps killing things.
It’s my good luck bow.

So for me, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it applies for now.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mad_okie
If you are passing on any deer over 30 yards because you don’t feel your bow is quiet or fast enough you should seriously consider an upgrade. I know people have been killing deer with bows long before we were alive but why not take advantage of modern technology? I want every advantage I can get while spending my limited time in the stand.

If that's your thought,then I don't think you get the reason to bow hunt.The whole sport of hunting is lessened if your thoughts are only on the most efficient way to kill.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Triax is super nice. It’s short, but I’m not having any issues. I’m not short either. It’s extremely quiet and absolutely dead at the shot. No vibration whatsoever.

I’m pretty fortunate. We carry about everything and I get to shoot brands we don’t carry regularly too. (Customers bring them in for trade, tuning, etc.)

We shoot out to 100 yards off the archery porch at the shop and do it daily. Things went a tad strange when I added a wood grip and a stabilizer on my Triax. I’ve since ditched the grip and tossed the stabilizer. I shoot better with the factory grip and no stabilizer on this bow. Hoyt and Elite are different stories. I like stabilizers on both for balance. The low grip with the addition of a stabilizer doesn’t feel right to me on the Triax. I shoot Hoyt and Elite a tad better at long ranges (50 plus), but I don’t consider that a hunting range for me.

Here’s the deal - same arrows, same draw weight - the Triax is 10-15 faster than my Hoyt and Elite and the Triax is at 28.5”, the others are at 29”. Aside from the speed, the Triax is substantialy quieter. It was a breeze to tune, where the others took some work. The others simply can’t compare when talking hand shock and vibration. The Triax will be in the tree with me this year and the others will be ready as back ups.

Buy the Triax and enjoy your season.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a used Z7 about 6 or 7 years ago. I still love it. I bought a 60 pound bow. I really like that pull weight.
But I just hunt whitetails and pigs. I'm not a good enough archer to feel comfortable past 40 yards. I prefer inside of 30.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

That Drenalin is probably way past my old Mathews Black Max2, I read this thread, went out to the shop, weighed an arrow and chronoed 5 shots, arrow with a 125 gr practice tip [same weight as my Grizz Trik2's] weighed 426 grains, got four straight readings of 322 fps, with the last shot going 323, pretty consistent, I bought that bow new in 2006, like others have said here, it just keeps killing, a bow Bud of mine recently installed some monkey tail? silencers for me, helped it get even quieter.

I will admit 360 fps does have some interest ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

That Drenalin is probably way past my old Mathews Black Max2, I read this thread, went out to the shop, weighed an arrow and chronoed 5 shots, arrow with a 125 gr practice tip [same weight as my Grizz Trik2's] weighed 426 grains, got four straight readings of 322 fps, with the last shot going 323, pretty consistent, I bought that bow new in 2006, like others have said here, it just keeps killing, a bow Bud of mine recently installed some monkey tail? silencers for me, helped it get even quieter.

I will admit 360 fps does have some interest ;]

LOL, I have a Bud that reads these pages, he called and ask about my old Black Max bow, I had to explain to him how it was set up, he said your buds on that forum are going to think you are FOS on the numbers you listed as far as speed and arrow weight for your bow, my old BM-II draws 74-76 lbs, has a turbo cam with a 50% let off, a 5" brace height, with a solid back wall with absolutely NO valley, you ease up any on the draw back and it wants to go, it's not an easy bow to shoot.

This may be the lack of new technology, or ease, and shoot ability the new bows have the Dan spoke about, I'm going today to look at and shoot the Mathews Triax and Halon 32, will probably come home with one, they damn sure better be able to fire my 426 gr hunting arrows at least as fast as my old bow.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I know you are gonna buy one and be pleased and wowed!
I know what you mean about the older Mathews if you let down a 1/16" that sucker wanted to fly

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I know you are gonna buy one and be pleased and wowed!
I know what you mean about the older Mathews if you let down a 1/16" that sucker wanted to fly

You guys are a BAD influence, a new Triax rode home with me today, cammed for a 30" draw, got a bit more with a 1/2" release loop on the string, set at max 70 lbs, so smooth, it feels more like 50 lbs, day and night difference between it and my old bow, velocity is 329 fps with a 378 gr arrow, bought three packs of 100 gr Exodus heads, the Easton 330's at 7.9 gpi fly really well.

Been shooting the hell out of it today, bow season is going to be even more special with a new bow, cant believe how accurate, smooth, dead and quiet this thing is.

To the OP, yes, you need one. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Told ya so!
Now whack that big bastard to break its cherry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,008 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.