Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Handled one of these at the LGS today, and really liked the feel. I’m in the market for a “beater” truck gun, and this seemed to feel a bit more substantial than the axis/American rifles. How’s the accuracy from those that have shot them?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
www.cdnnsports.com still has some Marlin XS7s in 243 for $270 with a lower grade Bushnell 3-9x40, rings, bases, and a nylon sling. You can buy the rifle alone for $240 from their ad on GB, but the ad shows only 9 left at that price.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They started as the Raptor Rifle Company 20-25 years ago and failed. Charter Arms bought the rights to the design and tried to make it work and they failed. Mossberg seems to be doing a better job with the design. But I like the Ruger American a lot better.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Patriot in 300 WM. I think it's a better gun than the Marlin XL7 (of which I've owned two) or the Ruger American. Now I'm going to have to get rid of it I guess because according to modern Campfire thought there is apparently no way I could possibly shoot a 300 Win Mag accurately. I'm learning now that men can no longer handle anything much above the 6.5 Creedmoor. Tis a shame.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
laugh laugh

Mike, ain't that the truth.

Kinda funny that the Xperts call marksmen, they've never seen or know ANYthing about , from other parts of the country incapable of shooting accurately.

OTOH I don't doubt they have had "ferigners" show up over gunned and could not hit a bull in the butt with a base fidel. Not all are that way.

I'll just keep killin deer with my 7 RM, 300 WM & 8mm RM.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
laugh laugh

Mike, ain't that the truth.

Kinda funny that the Xperts call marksmen, they've never seen or know ANYthing about , from other parts of the country incapable of shooting accurately.

OTOH I don't doubt they have had "ferigners" show up over gunned and could not hit a bull in the butt with a base fidel. Not all are that way.

I'll just keep killin deer with my 7 RM, 300 WM & 8mm RM.

Jerry

No way can you shoot that stuff accurately. Just think how much better you'd shoot a 243! laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mike74

No way can you shoot that stuff accurately. Just think how much better you'd shoot a 243! laugh

Mike, IF a 243 or 30-30 was all I had I'd QUIT deer hunting! I'd take up golf (goof) and I hate golf. smirk

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall

Mike, IF a 243 or 30-30 was all I had I'd QUIT deer hunting! I'd take up golf (goof) and I hate golf. smirk

Jerry

You're just compensating. laugh

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lmao ! If it ain't got a belt on the bottom of that shell casing it ain't Sh*t!!!!!!

I am kidding of course!

Last edited by Rugerfan4374; 08/25/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You're just compensating. laugh

Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374
Lmao ! If it ain't got a belt on the bottom of that shell casing it ain't Sh*t!!!!!!

I am kidding of course!

I missed these two posts till just now.

Mike I’m quite Confident - Comfortable with my equipment. laugh

4374 - Oh I actually hunt/shoot standard cals/ cartridges more often the mags BUT the 7 R M is NOT much different from “hand loaded” 06s.
ATST if a guy is going to hunt a/any mag, he should shoot & hunt it OFTEN enuff to be familiar with everything about it. shocked

I used the shock icon because too many MINIMALLY shoot 1-5 rounds PER year before season. I know some guys who say, It’s still where it was last year & they’ve said it for 5 years in a row. crazy

There is NO substitute for familiarity.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought a patriot 308 last year for deer season. Went to local range to sight it in, rangemaste/spotter watched my shots and asked what gun it was. Told him cheap mossberg patriot. And he said yeah right. Groups were sub MOA when I went and checked. Maybe I got the only good one, or maybe they are all good. I don’t know but I do like mine.

Swing hard in case you hit it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Mossberg Patriot is supposedly getting a new home today. It's a great rifle don't get me wrong. I'm really impressed by the quality of it and the accuracy. But the 300 Win Mag was a bad idea on my part and a bridge too far. I could download it but now I have a Vanguard in 30-06 so there doesn't seem to be a point?
Jerry is right, you have to practice with a magnum to stay sharp. The guys who shoot one day a year to see if their gun is still on are the ones who give the magnums a bad rep.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree on the practice. I have a mossberg patriot in 338. It shoots amazingly accurate , love the trigger, it is light and easy to carry and maneuver. It is a beast when you pull the trigger, it kicks a lot, but I am accustomed to the heavy hitters. If you let yourself fear the recoil then you will fear it, then you must step down to a caliber that is comfortable for you to shoot. I just tend to like the magnum calibers, I have a few non magnum calibers as well, but they don't come out to play as often.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not afraid of this 300 Win Mag but when I shoot it I get chest pains. And being a heart patient I've decided to send it down the road.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm not afraid of this 300 Win Mag but when I shoot it I get chest pains. And being a heart patient I've decided to send it down the road.

Now that, I cannot argue with. I certainly understand that reasoning.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have the Patriot in 300 WM. I think it's a better gun than the Marlin XL7 (of which I've owned two) or the Ruger American. Now I'm going to have to get rid of it I guess because according to modern Campfire thought there is apparently no way I could possibly shoot a 300 Win Mag accurately. I'm learning now that men can no longer handle anything much above the 6.5 Creedmoor. Tis a shame.

I hear you, look at the bright side, at least it's not hopelessly outdated past the point of usefulness like my 8x57... smirk

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I have one in .243 Win and love it. Its a cerakoted model. It’s a sub moa shooter with anything I’ve tried in it from 75 gr to 95 gr. Definitely light but manageable in .243. Action seems good and solid too.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.