Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Steelhead
They are great for SE AK.

They are called "Juneau tennis shoes" around here. Always have a pair in the truck. They were doggschitt for a few years after they moved production to vaChina, but have gotten better. I'm on year 2 of a new pair.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My last pair of xtra tuffs have been amazing. 3 years and counting, fishing in them 150 days a year. Still waiting for them to fall apart. China model. Must have got lucky!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Are they the non-insulated, non-steel toe Joel?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yes. Bought them in Ktown when we were waiting for our 2nd to arrive. She turns four in a few weeks. Tread is getting low in a few spots, but I'll get one more season out of them.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Barnacle encrusted beaches are extratuff on 'em

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had better luck with the non-steel, non insulated. I guess I wore the lining off the inside of the heel on my last pair, so they are not falling apart as quick.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Xtra-tuffs are only good if you are walking on super slippery flat surfaces. I buy them because I have to work on boats and the alpha burly's don't grab the surface like tuffs do. I don't recommend goat hunting in them though, ask me how I know.

How do you know?

I took a slide down a hill because of them. It was a miracle I wasn't seriously injured.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
West Marine here in Anchorage seems to have them for sale too.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by cwh2
....I've never tried the Grunden deck boss. I'll have to do that.

I bought a pair this summer, and I've worn them for about two months now.

My observations:
They fit differently than the Xtra-Tuffs, a little tighter across the top of the foot. It took a couple of outings for them to break-in and feel right. I wear a size 10 Xtra-Tuff and I bought size 11 Deck Boss boots.

They don't grip the deck as well as the Xtra-Tuffs, but they are a close second, and MUCH better than Mucks or Alpha Burleys on the boat deck.

The Deck Boss's have a spongy sole (more cushion) than the Xtra-Tuffs. They are more comfortable after a long day on my feet, after I got them broken-in, that is. I had my doubts after the first couple of days wearing them, though, but now they are comfy.

I like the stiffer side walls on the Deck Boss boots. They stand upright and dry better overnight.

I have an easier time getting the Deck Boss boots on and off, versus the Xtra-Tuffs.

Fish blood and herring scales don't seem to stick at easy to the Deck Boss boots; they either clean-up better or the darker color does a better job of hiding the mess and gore.

They are holding up really well, can't hardly tell they've been worn.

Last edited by DanInAlaska; 09/03/18. Reason: added sizing info

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting....

I think I've got almost all the miles out of these that I can.....
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you got all the miles and also all the "feet" possible out of that pair.
smile

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Some 5200 on those cracks and rips and they’ll be good as new.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cwh2
Interesting....

I think I've got almost all the miles out of these that I can.....
[Linked Image]

Way to get your money's worth!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I noticed you still hadn't thrown them out yet. It's hard to say goodbye to old friends, isn't it?

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm shopping for 5200 in brown.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve been running a pair of those rugged shark great white boots on deck for 2 years now. They have a lot of cushion in the sole which I like as my shins and knees used to kill me after a 12 hour day on the water. Easy on easy off and a stiff upper. Excellent traction on the fiberglass non skid and on the bonar hatches and diamond plate on my buddies down east boat. Usually do about 300 hours a season on the motors so I’ve got some time in these. From the looks of them now they will be around for a couple more years. Think I paid about 90 bucks for them.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Xtra Tuffs is all I use for hunting, hiking or really anything. They did have quality control issues a few years ago and I even had a pair that lasted just one week. So I did try and find a replacement with no luck - Lacrosse way too heavy and stiff, Muck boots too hot etc. There really is no substitute for a good pair of Xtra Tuffs. I also like to get a 1/2 size too small so that I don't float around in them and can go down steep hills etc. I also put in a pair of super feet insoles. And I use hiking poles.

I have climbed the highest volcano in the Aleutians, the highest peak on Kodiak in Xtra Tuffs. I have also done 2 week sheep hunts in the Brooks Range in Xtra tuffs. On our annual Afognak Elk hunt I always laugh at the people who don't use xtra tuffs and have wet feet the whole time. Xtra tuffs are the best. I also use micro spikes and crampons on mine. And it must be remembered that they are not a hiking boot with a sole that you can dig into the slope. You have to bend at the ankles and keep the whole sole on the slope (smear in climbers terms).

They are light weight, dry quick, supple when frozen. what's not to like?
Patrick

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 68 invisible), 2,950 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,147
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.