Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I like them. Drop a SS barreled action in a synthetic stock and fuggedaboudit when the weather gets nasty. Like the others have said, they will rust though. One of the worst rusting rifles I ever had was a stainless Ruger that I had bead blasted. I think the rough surface on the metal held moisture more than a smooth one.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
BP-B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
SS and laminate. Nutmeg is first choice but pepper will work too.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have one, a 77/44 SS. A rainy day gun. The others make fun of it all the time. Raincoat and umbrella jokes mostly.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have a few. foul weather guns mostly but a few that are SS and walnut. i like blued and walnut guns personally but when the weather is schit, i grab my ruger 77 frontier 338 fed. 16.5" SS gun with laminated stock. it never used to bother me to take my old timers out in the rain but some of them are approaching 100 years old so i figure they've seen enough schit weather and leave the nasty days to the youngins'

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I prefer nice wood and blue. I have a couple stainless custom barrels, but mostly blue. As for taking the old timers out in the rain, around here I'm the old timer and I ain't goin out in that stuff.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is there something else, synthetic stocks and stainless.....rifles are tools and meant to be used! Though most of ours are.....blue! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have SS/Synthetic rifles and appreciate how easy the SS is to care for. But I don't see it as that much of an advantage. I have blue rifles and shotguns that are 50-70 years old that have been used in some harsh conditions. They require a little more care to keep them from rusting and will develop many more "character marks" as well as having spots where the blue gets worn thin. But any issue with a blue gun bad enough to cause a failure is due to negligence and the same negligence will cause a SS gun to fail. Any more I'd just as soon have one of the durable coatings in a dark color mated with a synthetic stock.

Where I draw the line is wood stocks, even laminate. Compared to even cheap tupperware stocks wood can, and will fail with no advance warning regardless of how well they are cared for. I've seen it happen too many times to trust any wood stock for more than a wall hanger.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stainless machines better and laps better. It is not as durable as steel. not that it matters on that last point.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
Is there something else, synthetic stocks and stainless.....rifles are tools and meant to be used! Though most of ours are.....blue! memtb

I was going to say just about the same thing. With stainless and synthetic I don't have to fret about light precipitation, but even with ss and synthetic if I get caught in a heavy rain I will put the rifle in the case and take it out when it is over or I need to shoot.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like stainless just fine but would guess that most contain non stainless components. I paint my hunting rifles so it doesn't matter much to me. My most used rifle is a 10/22 in wood and blue and it still shoots good, steel wool works.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rather eat some grub, drink a glass of whiskey, brush my teeth, shower, and get a good night sleep rather than clean a rain soaked gun in the evening.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

whats not to like ?

walnut & SS.............

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I absolutely love stainless rifles! I have several in my gun safe. The ONLY drawback to stainless is that they do look as "pretty" as a gloss blued rifle. But they sure are awesome in every other way.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by skeen
I like stainless and blue, and cerakote too.

. . . with sugar and spice and everything nice.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like both, I'm easy to please!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm of the old school in which blued steel and walnut make a real gun; but I like the low maintenance aspects of stainless and synthetic. Like the lady says, "You pays your money and you takes your choice!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to look at blued guns in pretty wood...........as long as they belong to other people. Every rifle in my safe is stainless steel, handguns too except for my little LCP pistol. And if Ruger ever makes it in stainless, I’ll trade. And I AM an old guy.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm undecided.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think the worst thing about stainless rifles is that people have taken that to mean they won't rust, that you can use them in the rain with impunity, and they don't need the sort of care other rifles need. It isn't so.

The stainless used in rifles comes in different grades. Barrels are usually 416 or something similar, a grade of stainless which actually isn't all that corrosion resistant as stainless steels go. It certainly will rust, if you don't look after it. A matte finish, such as you might want for the reduction of visibility in a hunting rifle, further reduces what rust resistance it has. As well, if you tear your rifle down and have a good close look you'll almost certainly find there are parts which actually aren't stainless at all - springs in particular, as well as pins and clips and other parts hidden away in the stock.

The net effect is that a stainless rifle will need to be looked after. It may offer some benefits in terms of resistance to bore erosion, and may or may not offer a bit more resistance to corrosion than some of the finishes used on plain carbon steel or CrMo steel, but all of them will need some looking after. There are much better options if you want a rifle to resist corrosion, such as nitriding.

I'm not against stainless, and I do own a stainless/synthetic rifle. I own a lot more which aren't stainless/synthetic though, and they all have survived hunting in all sorts of conditions, including rain, some for many, many years. I think a good coat of wax, on all surfaces, and a tear down and clean after going out in the rain, is a better solution than relying on the dubious idea that a stainless/synthetic lets you off the hook.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I guess that us Louisiana boys think a lot alike! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
581 members (12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.