Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Stuart

In our case, it's not so much about defending ourselves, as our level of personal crime-violence is fairly low. It's about retaining a privilege (we don't have a "right") to pursue a sport many have enjoyed for decades. Somehow our idiot government thinks we are part of the "gun violence" problem. Bollocks!

Look at history. You can make no mistake about this. It has NOTHING to do with crime control. Its about controlling a subservient populace. Historically almost invariably registration ( which you have...) leads to confiscation. Confiscation leads to genocide. I can't believe so many havent noticed...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

In our case, it's not so much about defending ourselves, as our level of personal crime-violence is fairly low. It's about retaining a privilege (we don't have a "right") to pursue a sport many have enjoyed for decades. Somehow our idiot government thinks we are part of the "gun violence" problem. Bollocks!

Look at history. You can make no mistake about this. It has NOTHING to do with crime control. Its about controlling a subservient populace. Historically almost invariably registration ( which you have...) leads to confiscation. Confiscation leads to genocide. I can't believe so many havent noticed...

Ingwe, sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to Canadian gun owners' needs, rather than our government's intentions, about which you may well be right, even in a Canadian context.

To be honest, I don't know if our gov't "fears an armed populace"; none of our founding fathers said anything like "...The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.". (From what I have read, that statement's veracity is not certain, unlike "A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." We are not by nature very rebellious!)

My personal take on the government's thinking, especially this one's, is that they simply cannot reconcile the personal ownership of handguns with what they perceive as a modern, progressive, civilized society. We may "need" rifles and shotguns for hunting (which they don't seem to have much trouble with) but handguns serve no "need" (in their view), and target shooting isn't accepted as sufficient reason for civilians to own such dastardly devices, which, as some people insist, "were only designed to kill other human beings". (The implication being that we, too, are somehow complicit in killing our fellow men and women by having handguns, as if the guns possess some supernatural evil power within them that seeps into our psyches.)

Needless to say, I think this is an utter load of crap! But it will be a very real load of crap if our government succeeds in its delusional utopian aims in this regard. Most certainly it will have little, if any, positive impact on the criminal use of firearms.

Last edited by Stuart; 09/29/18.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Jordan,

There's a heck of an opportunity for some Photoshopping there. Just replace some faces and... voilà! smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe, sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to Canadian gun owners' needs, rather than our government's intentions, about which you may well be right, even in a Canadian context.

To be honest, I don't know if our gov't "fears an armed populace"; none of our founding fathers said anything like "...The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.". (From what I have read, that statement's veracity is not certain, unlike "A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." We are not by nature very rebellious!)

My personal take on the government's thinking, especially this one's, is that they simply cannot reconcile the personal ownership of handguns with what they perceive as a modern, progressive, civilized society. We may "need" rifles and shotguns for hunting (which they don't seem to
have much trouble with) but handguns serve no "need" (in their view), and target shooting isn't accepted as sufficient reason for civilians to own such dastardly devices, which, as some people insist, "were only designed to kill other human beings". (The implication being that we, too, are somehow complicit in killing our fellow men and women by having handguns, as if the guns possess some supernatural evil power within them that seeps into our psyches.)

Needless to say, I think this is an utter load of crap! But it will be a very real load of crap if our government succeeds in its delusional utopian aims in this regard. Most certainly it will have little, if any, positive impact on the criminal use of firearms.

Again I say look at history. In every country where the populace was eventually disarmed, then subjected to genocide, crime was used as the excuse.I don't believe you'll find any exceptions to this. No offense intended but you have wayyyyy too much trust in your government...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spoke with the secretary for a prominent Conservative MP at a recent gun show. She indicated that those calling the office regarding Liberal's Bill C-71 which is now in the senate are grossly uninformed as to it's true consequences. This problem has been caused by the mass media which has continually minimized any potential damage to firearm ownership.
Now we can add a potential ban on many other firearms, (government now conducting a survey to determine how many they can ban).
A significant part of our "Canadian" problem is that most firearm owners simply do not take part in the fight to protect their rights and firearms. They will wake up after damage is done and ask the age old question "Why didn't someone do something?"

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
BillR,

You are absolutely right. I have two neighbours up the street, one a hunter, the other an ex-RCMP (but who owns handguns and is as staunch a Conservative as anyone I know.) I've sent both newsletters from the CSSA etc. and copies of letters I've sent to MPs, Goodale, etc. Neither has done squat. I also e-mailed the President and Pistol Chair of the local R&G Club to ask of the club had sent any letters to the government. Two weeks on and I've yet to get a reply from either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The only people that would be effected would be law abiding gun owners WHO ARE NOT THE PROBLEM. The ones that would ignore the new laws already ignore the law.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by chris112
The only people that would be effected would be law abiding gun owners WHO ARE NOT THE PROBLEM. The ones that would ignore the new laws already ignore the law.

EXACTLY . For some reason our government chooses to ignore this fact. They know the criminals aren't buying their guns by legal methods,taking the mandatory classes for owning a firearm,having a mandatory criminal record check done much less registering them which again is mandatory.

IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good luck! It's a battle!

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by chris112

Precisely - almost word for word - what I said in a recent letter to Mssrs. Goodale & Blair. I also asked for precise numbers of handguns used in criminal acts for 2016-2017 (rather than media-friendly vague and varying percentages), the number of those guns actually traced back to registered Canadian owners (= "domestically-sourced"), and finally, since "obviously" such guns were stolen from people who hadn't taken the proper precautions to keep them secure, how many were actually charged with unsafe storage. Also, in the same period, how many people were charged with "straw sales", and finally, how all those numbers compared to the approx. 557,000 Canadians who are licenced to own handguns.

I also asked how a programme to prevent kids from getting into gsngs in the first place in a nearby community (Abbotsford), which has clearly shown success, could be allowed to lose federal funding because the federal accounting period ran out in September, something that surely could have been fixed in a few mouse clicks. At this point, they may see funding next April, after a "review" in Nov. "If it just saves one life..." This one aopparently has saved several.

I doubt I'll get the courtesy of an snswer.

@Jordan Smith- I've signed that poll. It is somewhat slanted to encourage the kind of responses they'd like to see, but there is the opportunity to leave comments as well, which I took full advantage of.

Last edited by Stuart; 10/16/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As did I.

"What is likely to be the most effective? What might the consequences be for law abiding Canadians?

"What is likely to be most effective, is to focus crime-reduction efforts on better enforcing laws involving violent crime that are already currently in place. A focus on organized crime, the illegal drug trade, mental health treatment, and opposing culturally-normalized violence would be more effective in reducing violent crime than diverting attention to tools used to commit said crimes. This is especially important, given that those same tools (firearms) are legally used by millions of Canadians every day, and the variety of tools (firearms, trucks, knives, baseball bats, improvised explosives, etc) that could potentially be used to commit violent crime are infinitely available to the resourceful criminal."

With respect to limiting handguns, assault weapons, and other firearms in the illicit market, in which of the following areas do you think efforts should be focused? [check all that apply]

Other
"The increased enforcement of current laws will reduce all of these listed sources of illicit firearms"

What strategies are likely to be most effective?

"- Dedicate more resources to enforcement
- Stiffer punishments for violent crime"

Are there any other comments you would like to share with respect to limiting firearms?

"Criminals do not respect our legislation. Restrictions on law-abiding citizens only hurts those citizens, while doing very little to reduce crime committed by those who ignore the restrictions.""

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hitler asked for gun control too. He did it for the children

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There is an online petition that you could fill out. Takes a whole 2 minutes to do.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by the_shootist
There is an online petition that you could fill out. Takes a whole 2 minutes to do.

Which one? Likely the same one that Jordan Smith & I did. I've done a few. Getting Herren Goodale und Blair to READ them- or, as my HS Latin teacher used to say, "RMLAID = Read, Mark, Learn and Inwardly Digest" - is quite another matter, however frown Horse/water/drink,etc.

Last edited by Stuart; 10/25/18.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
This is a new one.

I'll see if i can put up a link.

With all the talk going around about potential gun bans, it is more important than ever for everyone in the firearm community to do everything they can to make their voices heard.

Please take the time to sign the online petition and fill out the online consultation form. The links are below:

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/cnslttns/hndgn/index-en.aspx

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1883

Last edited by the_shootist; 10/25/18. Reason: Additional info

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by the_shootist

With all the talk going around about potential gun bans, it is more important than ever for everyone in the firearm community to do everything they can to make their voices heard.

Amen, dico, amen! Thanks for the links. (I've already signed both.)

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Me too.

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Acccording to a recent CBC article (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/gun-control-groups-question-federal-commitment-1.4877752)

(Heidi) Rathjen said she was surprised by how strong the gun lobby is in Canada.
"Most MPs, most senators have been drowned in letters and emails against gun control by the gun lobby," she said.

So maybe Goodale etc. aren't exactly unaware of us.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 39 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.