Campfire Outfitter
375 H&H yup that ought to do 😉

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The scope on the .35 Whelen will not focus for me and the lenses need to be cleaned on the inside. So,I'm going to bring my .375 H&H. Had this rifle for 24 years and have not killed any big game with it.

Well.....we could make this the Alabama Canon hunt. grin

I haven’t killed a deer with my Rem 700 8 mm RM in some years. It’s sighted in with ammo ready to go.
Hadn’t thot about bringing it......but it’d work.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found this in addition to the USFS maps.

https://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView?WID=556&tab=Maps

Last edited by bwinters; 09/08/18.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW: If you want to do some good virtual scouting, download the free version of Topofusion. It has topos and aerial imagery of the whole US. The cool feature is it also allows the topo and aerials to be viewed in 3-d. The 2 map layers I use the most are "My Topo" and "USGS Aerial Imagery". I've been using it in conjunction with Google Earth for years. Gives me something to do at lunch time in the off season...............

In addition, if you want a personalized map, you can use Topofusion to zero in on your area, go under "File", "Order Printed Map" and it takes you to My Topo to finish your design. I have waterproof maps of all my hunting areas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This file sheds a bit of light on the weird rut in Alabama.

Alabama deer conception dates

Scroll down to the map. I have a pdf of a better map and explanation but can't figure out how to put it in this thread.

I've done a fair bit of investigation into Alabama deer and even joined a lease down there not far from the Bankhead. Alot of timber company property in that part of the world. The Bankhead is part of the Black Warrior WMA. I talked to several biologists down there and all pointed to BW as the place to shoot a nice buck. They all mentioned the deer density is fairly low. Black Warrior does have the earliest rut of any of the WMAs in the state. Now that you guys are headed down there, my interest is renewed. I'll try to get down there for scouting in November. I like the trail system in the Sipsey.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Is anyone bringing a defibrillator for the old dudes...grin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bwinters

Scroll down to the map. I have a pdf of a better map and explanation but can't figure out how to put it in this thread.

I've done a fair bit of investigation into Alabama deer and even joined a lease down there not far from the Bankhead. Alot of timber company property in that part of the world. The Bankhead is part of the Black Warrior WMA. I talked to several biologists down there and all pointed to BW as the place to shoot a nice buck. They all mentioned the deer density is fairly low. Black Warrior does have the earliest rut of any of the WMAs in the state. Now that you guys are headed down there, my interest is renewed. I'll try to get down there for scouting in November. I like the trail system in the Sipsey.

South is weird ruts for sure. I've hunted deer in GA that were in the rut around Halloween. Just across the Chattahoochee river in Alabama, they were rutting the end of January.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The scope on the .35 Whelen will not focus for me and the lenses need to be cleaned on the inside. So,I'm going to bring my .375 H&H. Had this rifle for 24 years and have not killed any big game with it.

Well.....we could make this the Alabama Canon hunt. grin

I haven’t killed a deer with my Rem 700 8 mm RM in some years. It’s sighted in with ammo ready to go.
Hadn’t thot about bringing it......but it’d work.

Bring it!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 444Matt
375 H&H yup that ought to do 😉

Hope so. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Yup Bankhead NF and Black Warrior WMA Have two distinct ruts, the northern section ruts early November like the original Michigan deer that were brought in to the area years ago. The southern portion has a later rut that hits early to mid December, this was learned last year by talking to a fellow that literally lives and hunts the whole season on Bankhead. He was very successful and had a few nice bucks to show including the one his daughter took while we were there. Like you said the deer density is low but there are some real monsters taken out of there each year. I’m using the app huntstand to overlay topi and satellite imagesetters along with property lines. Some private land is within the Nation Forest so the property line stuff really helps. I can mark up the map plan routes know distances and share the maps I create with a group. Extremely useful and it’s free.

Next year we will probably hunt the Freedom Hills WMA bear Florence as the deer density is much better but we know nothing about the area yet.

Contact me when you plan on scouting maybe we can get together.

IC B3

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

South is weird ruts for sure. I've hunted deer in GA that were in the rut around Halloween. Just across the Chattahoochee river in Alabama, they were rutting the end of January.

Yup my family small property in south Al ruts end of January to early February thankfully they extended our season till mid February now. There were a lot of years we didn’t get to hunt the rut before they did that.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll be slumming a 243 maybe a 30-30 if I can stage the one I have my eye on.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I’ll be slumming a 243 maybe a 30-30 if I can stage the one I have my eye on.

You know,you can borrow one of my rifles if you want? wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Will have a new Kimber to bloody and either a 7600 or 30-30 Marlin trying to make up my mind which one I want.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I plan to bring my 70 FTWT 6.5XSwede and

backup Tikka T3 Lite SS 270 Win.

Y'all PLEASE don't confuse me. Those 2 are perfect.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Will have a new Kimber to bloody and either a 7600 or 30-30 Marlin trying to make up my mind which one I want.

WELL..... how about that Kimber ? keepin something from us?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kimber Hunter 243 will wear a fixed 6 Meopta. Should have it in two weeks.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of getting horned up about this 7600 I’m looking at. Will know by the end of the weekend if I can work out a deal on it.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
What is the 7600 chambered for?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I plan to bring my 70 FTWT 6.5XSwede and

backup Tikka T3 Lite SS 270 Win.

Y'all PLEASE don't confuse me. Those 2 are perfect.

You know,I could play musical scope and put a Leupold 3x on the .35 Whelen.

Or,bring a Ruger M77 .240 Wby,

Maybe a .257 Roberts or .25/06.

So many rifles I can choose from. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 1minute, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,028
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.