Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hopefully, the "collateral damage" doesn't include any skunks! Nor porcupines if any are found in the areas you hunt.

Sharpness on fur was my main gripe with the versatile breeds, A skunked dog can make for uncomfortable living for quite a while as the skunk essence wears off. Pulling porcupine quills can be hazardous and/or costly if one needs to take the dog to a vet.

Raccoons can be a problem too but I've only had one fracas with them that needed a trip to the vet. A few of the others had the dog put up until the staples came out but that typically was a week to ten days.

A suggestion for a skunked dog if your dog gets skunked. There are a few products that can help lessen the time needed for the odor to go away but tomato juice is most definitely not one of them. Nor is water at first, the hairs of the dog will draw in water and with it some of the essence. That makes for a longer time for the scent to wear off.

The very first step for a skunked dog is to rub the oils off with dry weeds, towels, etc. I go against the grain and lift the hairaway from the skin to lessen areas of contact. I also pat dry as much of the sprayed area as possible. I then apply something to counter act the odor. The best and easiest to acquire product is womens' douche', it seems to be the same thing as the skunk remover washes but at far less money. Thoroughly soak the sprayed area and let sit. Unlike tomato juice and other similar substances, douche' is hyper allergenic and will not cause a rash on the skin of some dogs. I'll repeat the douching several times before rinsing off. Some of the essence will be pulled into the hairs but hopefully so will enough douche' to make the odor bearable. The dog will stink after getting wet but it will go away in time. I give the dog a bath with strongly scented shampoo every couple of days when possible to hasten the odor break down. Even so, it can be several weeks until the dog smells normal.

And pray the dog does not get sprayed in the mouth. The oils are readily absorbed into the mucus membranes and there is no remedy to remove the odor. The odor can linger for months in such cases and your vet may not want to clean teeth in that time! Trial/test judges aren't too happy either though the most junior judge will be the least pleased unless there is an apprentice judge where the other judges will chuckle as the teeth are checked.

With one dog the odds are lessened for a negative contact and with some persuasion against chasing fur the odds can be reduced further still. There will always be chance encounters and times instinct kicks in over training but overall the odds are in your favor on any given day to not meet up with PePe, a quill pig, or other critter that could cause harm.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Finally got into some birds yesterday... Will be heading home Thurs. so hopefully on my home turf we will bag some more....

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Hopefully, the "collateral damage" doesn't include any skunks! Nor porcupines if any are found in the areas you hunt.

Sharpness on fur was my main gripe with the versatile breeds, A skunked dog can make for uncomfortable living for quite a while as the skunk essence wears off. Pulling porcupine quills can be hazardous and/or costly if one needs to take the dog to a vet.

Raccoons can be a problem too but I've only had one fracas with them that needed a trip to the vet. A few of the others had the dog put up until the staples came out but that typically was a week to ten days.

A suggestion for a skunked dog if your dog gets skunked. There are a few products that can help lessen the time needed for the odor to go away but tomato juice is most definitely not one of them. Nor is water at first, the hairs of the dog will draw in water and with it some of the essence. That makes for a longer time for the scent to wear off.

The very first step for a skunked dog is to rub the oils off with dry weeds, towels, etc. I go against the grain and lift the hairaway from the skin to lessen areas of contact. I also pat dry as much of the sprayed area as possible. I then apply something to counter act the odor. The best and easiest to acquire product is womens' douche', it seems to be the same thing as the skunk remover washes but at far less money. Thoroughly soak the sprayed area and let sit. Unlike tomato juice and other similar substances, douche' is hyper allergenic and will not cause a rash on the skin of some dogs. I'll repeat the douching several times before rinsing off. Some of the essence will be pulled into the hairs but hopefully so will enough douche' to make the odor bearable. The dog will stink after getting wet but it will go away in time. I give the dog a bath with strongly scented shampoo every couple of days when possible to hasten the odor break down. Even so, it can be several weeks until the dog smells normal.

And pray the dog does not get sprayed in the mouth. The oils are readily absorbed into the mucus membranes and there is no remedy to remove the odor. The odor can linger for months in such cases and your vet may not want to clean teeth in that time! Trial/test judges aren't too happy either though the most junior judge will be the least pleased unless there is an apprentice judge where the other judges will chuckle as the teeth are checked.

With one dog the odds are lessened for a negative contact and with some persuasion against chasing fur the odds can be reduced further still. There will always be chance encounters and times instinct kicks in over training but overall the odds are in your favor on any given day to not meet up with PePe, a quill pig, or other critter that could cause harm.

Woodmaster, thanks for the tips. Getting my kit together for this fall and will be adding some items to it. Need to get some small bolt cutters too in case of snare issues. The pup got into his first porcupine last fall and that was not pleasant for either of us. All that said, love hunting with that dog. Raccoons so far have been small enough to go down easy. He's 81 pounds and pretty solid now. Almost time to go!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you don't have one, get a medical stapler to toss into the kit. It is much easier to do than sewing and one can start the healing process immediately. They run about $30 I think. Also pick up the staple remover as it makes removing staples easy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
WCH,

Nice and congrats, looks like the girls are ready for another season. Here's hoping it is a great one.... cool

Last edited by battue; 09/18/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done WCH!! I was hoping to be in WY chasing sage hens, but a relocation got in the way. Maybe next year. I made sure sage hens made it to the top of Hank's (my dog) bucket list.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
For the grouse opener I am going to spend five days in the BWCA. I was up there this summer and found some sweet areas loaded with great habitat and a lot of drumming going on. My trusty GWP died last spring so I'm dogless for the first time in ages. I've never done a pack in canoe upland hunt and figured this would be a good way to get out hunting without him. I'm really looking forward to it.

I am trying similar in October in the Adirondacks, St Regis Canoe area. There are some good log shelters around, many unused I am sure since deer are not open yet. Have never hunted ruffs. I will stay 2 weeks, and also hunt the waterfowl opener for black ducks.

Where do you like to put-in at BWCA?

Hey Kid: I tried to send you a message with some tips on Adirondack grouse but I don't think it was delivered. I have some experience in the Eastern Adirondacks if you have any questions. Good luck with your trip. I will be up there in another month on a backpack deer/bear hunt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was slow in moose camp this year, but I still got to shoot willow and rock ptarmigan, a bunch of spruce grouse, a sharptail and a couple ruffed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Got into these the other day.. My old 870 and 3 3/4- 1 1/5- # 5's

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats and a great pic!!!!
Looks like you are having a fine early season.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
We have had a pretty fair season.. Lots of smoke at times from forest fires... Haven't done much with blues yet.. They seem down in numbers... Thanks for looking!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sagehen opened yesterday. Our favorite place has been over run with a bunch of about 35-40 from Hawthorne who use it as a big party, then they go on military maneuvers and try to wipe them out. They keep the birds off water for 48 hours and stress the heck out of them by pushing them constantly.

I have a very remote place that has a few. We'll take a bird or two there and do it in a quiet setting that's tough to get into.

We each nailed one on Saturday...

[Linked Image]

Owen limited (2) this morning and I added one more.

[Linked Image]

The birds were extremely wild, so Owen thought he would switch from his new Weatherby 12ga SA-08 to my old Mossy 835 with full-house 3 1/2" loads this morning. He's showing off his bruises this afternoon. With the warm weather it was a bit dangerous to take the dogs out, so they stayed home and ate pizza crusts and leftover taco meat. Peg and our granddaughter spoil them rotten.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Boy must be tough, The Gamebitd doesn’t exist that could make me choose 3.5’s.

Congrats on the hunt.

Last edited by battue; 09/30/18.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have been hunting around 3 days a week, for an hour so each time, because up until now the weather's been pretty warm. Have been finding Hungarian partridge pretty regularly, a big improvement over last year when they were very scarce. This was the first one, taken out of a covey flushed by Lena the Labrador in chest-high cover (to me), not unusual with Huns when the weather's warm. Have gotten some doves as well. Lena has also put up enough pheasants during the outings that it looks OK for them as well, despite last winter's snow and cold. She'll be much happier next week when I can legally shoot those damn roosters.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have been hunting around 3 days a week, for an hour so each time, because up until now the weather's been pretty warm. Have been finding Hungarian partridge pretty regularly, a big improvement over last year when they were very scarce. This was the first one, taken out of a covey flushed by Lena the Labrador in chest-high cover (to me), not unusual with Huns when the weather's warm. Have gotten some doves as well. Lena has also put up enough pheasants during the outings that it looks OK for them as well, despite last winter's snow and cold. She'll be much happier next week when I can legally shoot those damn roosters.

[Linked Image]

I covet that shotgun, John. I also like to hunt and eat Huns.

I guess I'm saying I'm jealous.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Will be out chasing some ruffed grouse and woodcock in the morning- if I pass this damned kidney stone by then. Grouse have been a little tough to hunt as its been hot, rainy, or windy every chance I've had to go. It's supposed to drizzle off and on but that probably means frog drowning torrents an hour out from the truck.

Looking forward to pheasant season, the little sorghum patch I put in has 2-3 roosters in it every time I run the dogs through it. I need to get the bridge over the ditch finished and that will open up a fair bit more land to wander.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm off in 20 minutes. My partner will have to drive as I hope to catch a nap on the way there. I'm getting too old to run off a couple hours sleep.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Our sage grouse season is over...Forest grouse is still on, but haven't made it up there...All our other upland birds live farther north or east from us.. Late in the season will target them..

My last three sage grouse were shot with this old model 97 and 5's. All were just over 50 yards. The 30 in. full choke did a number on them...

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rates a Two-Cool...

cool cool

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks, glad you are still getting some grouse in Nev...

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.