Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Might be wrong but I figure there's maybe more people in AK who carry a short-barreled 870 on a sling than further south.

Uncle Mike's magazine cap sling swivel sets have been around almost forever but I don't have any personal knowledge of them.

In rough brush and over streams - as opposed to a flatland cornfield once a year where most of these are surely used - are the Uncle Mike's magazine cap swivels rugged enough or are there better options out there? (I don't use a mag extension so some options may be out.)

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have them on most of my pumps and have had no issues over many years.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not an Alaskan, but I have a sling swivel on my 870 mag cap, it's been there for about 30 years. Mine isn't the one that comes with new mag cap, it is one of these:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...chine-screw-type-sling-swivel-set-plated

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Good info. Guess they've made a sale. Thanks.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yes use one, learned while duck hunting and having the cap shoot off into the water when i adjusting my plug, a water bottle cap will work in a pinch.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The ones that come on Rems have fallen off my guns. But a threaded one with thread locker should work fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
yes use one, learned while duck hunting and having the cap shoot off into the water when i adjusting my plug, a water bottle cap will work in a pinch.

I have been thinking about a couple of these, think I'll order them. Just curious about the reason for adjusting your plug?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The magazine cap swivel is battleship grade. It has been on my 870 since 91. Still going strong.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
QD Match Rifle/Flush Cup type swivels on my 1100/1187/870's/TAC 14 as they are tougher than conventional hunting rifle type swivels.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ST50

I have been thinking about a couple of these, think I'll order them. Just curious about the reason for adjusting your plug?

couldn't get my second shell in.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just be sure how the detent works on your gun.
The old ones used a detent ball on the barrel ring,
the newer use the plastic insert plug.
Some replacement caps have both.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ST50

couldn't get my second shell in.

gotcha!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That’s good to know Roger!

I once had to carve a plug with my pocket knife from a mesquite limb for my nephew’s brand new Rem. 870 20 ga I bought him for opening day of dove season several years ago. SeemsRemington forgot to put the factory plug in the box when assembled for shipping and I didn’t want the kid to get a ticket from the Game Warden on his first dove hunt ever. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody know if the same magazine end cap for the 12ga 870 Remington will fit the 16ga version ???
I just picked up a super clean 1950’s 870 Wingmaster in 16 ga from my LGS yesterday. Looks like it’s brand new, or maybe only a box or two of shells have ever been fired through it. This one has the old corn cob fore end and a 30” full choke barrel.
I plan to have my gunsmith cut it down to a 24” Cylinder Bore barrel and make it my back up quail gun / house gun for the Ranch. 🤠

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/28/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yes, 12ga & 16ga magazine caps are the same on the early guns.

Early 80's, the 20ga,28ga & 410 bore receivers were down sized to reduce weight.
20ga magazine tube caps are sized/threaded larger than the 28ga & 410 bore magazine caps.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dans40X
Yes, 12ga & 16ga magazine caps are the same on the early guns.

Early 80's, the 20ga,28ga & 410 bore receivers were down sized to reduce weight.
20ga magazine tube caps are sized/threaded larger than the 28ga & 410 bore magazine caps.
Seems like the 16 gauge mag tube would be smaller diameter than the 12 gauge mag tube even though the receivers are the same.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The caps are the same. The opening in the receiver where the mag tube screws in is smaller on the 16 so a 12 cannot be loaded in the magazine. At least that is the case on the ancient 870 16ga I have.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,330
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.