Campfire Savant
A few more

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I glad we don't have them here

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I glad we don't have them here

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

take us pig huntin'

(shootin'}

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am sure if we were covered in hogs, I would see it different.

But I think I would love having a year round, unlimited hunting/trapping
quarry. That was good to eat.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Crime scene! Hanco doin Ma Natures necessary balance work.

Good job! Happy Eatin!

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Are they good to eat though?

I've heard that the wild boars taste horrible.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Tweed

You are so wrong. I have killed 200# plus (weighed on my scales) hogs in the summer and winter. They are absolutely delicious. Steaks, roast, sausage, BBQ etc ,etc. I will take a wild hog over venison all day, every day.

Doug

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Me too... love free range pork. We don't shoot big boars in August and February around here as that is their main breeding season. Sows are always tasty... especially the 120lb ones.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Shot some in Oklahoma couple years ago. They were 75-125 pounds. The meat was excellent.

NRA Patron
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by DouginLa

You are so wrong. I have killed 200# plus (weighed on my scales) hogs in the summer and winter. They are absolutely delicious. Steaks, roast, sausage, BBQ etc ,etc. I will take a wild hog over venison all day, every day.

Doug

Good to know. What would you compare it to? Do you have to take any extra precaution while butchering near glands or anything?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Doug

Good to know. What would you compare it to? Do you have to take any extra precaution while butchering near glands or anything?

I do not take any extra precautions, just clean them like a deer or any other game. Some of it may have a little nutty taste, but most of it taste like store bought, to me anyway. I have mine on ice within an hour of the kill. Most times less. The secret to me is leaving it in the ice chest for 4 to 5 days with fresh ice daily. I made boudin using fieldgrade's recipe. Don't have a stuffer so made boudin balls. They were awesome. Makes great breakfast pan sausage.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sure glad someone likes those mangy,parasite infested critters and don’t forget the risk of trichinosis. Having raised thousands of farm raised hogs and eaten feral hogs ,i still prefer the ones we raised. Most recent case of trichinosis was a family in Missouri that was mysteriously ill for sometime until the consumption of feral hog was discovered to be the cause.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not take any extra precautions, just clean them like a deer or any other game. Some of it may have a little nutty taste, but most of it taste like store bought, to me anyway. I have mine on ice within an hour of the kill. Most times less. The secret to me is leaving it in the ice chest for 4 to 5 days with fresh ice daily. I made boudin using fieldgrade's recipe. Don't have a stuffer so made boudin balls. They were awesome. Makes great breakfast pan sausage.

The only wild hog I ever killed was a 250# boar and to be honest....it smelled like piss when cooking.

[Linked Image]

I'm sure there's lots of variables though.
I wouldn't mind having a source for free pork so I could compare a couple dozen.

I actually made links and balls with that batch of Boudin. I like the balls so much I doubt that I'll case any of the next batch.

PS.....try dredging in Cracker crumbs before frying.....you can thank me later. wink

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Some big one's do smell. I have killed several that were drug off and left for critters to munch on. I don't kill big ones to eat, honestly I like them around 130# or smaller.

My boudin balls were rolled in flour, then egg, then panko bread crumbs. Makes them extra crispy. I was going to freeze some for later, but they were so good they only got as far as the frig.

E-coli in lettuce is more of a worry then trichinosis in hogs (IMHO). I also only do the gutless cleaning and wash up afterword's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure the smaller pigs would be the one's a guy wants for butchering.
We weighed that one when we got it back to the guy I was hunting with's barn.....250 field dressed.
I figure the guts had to weigh at least another 50.

That sounds good too but honestly I'd eat Boudin no matter how ya cook it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A fast way to tell if the pig will be good eating or not before going through the whole cleaning process is.......

Take a small slice from your first cutting to remove the skin and throw it in a frying pan. I am not talking about a piece of skin, but once you remove a little, take a slice of fat or meat/fat. If it smells good the pig will be good. If it smells bad, drag it off.

It doesn't matter if the small slice is all fat, but it must contain some fat. That makes it so its pretty easy!

I try to shoot those that are 150 and under for eating, and have not had a "bad" one in my 30 years plus of harvesting them. I cut some up like you find them in the market....chops, steaks, ribs, roast and grind and some are just cooked whole! I love venison, but will gladly take a hog and most likely shoot the hog before the deer.

Last edited by Sig220; 09/15/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a boar doesn't reek, I might call around and ask if anybody wants it. Seems like folks always want sows though. The boars that do stink get dumped out in the coyote hole. We've got quite a few on camera so far this year.

Now with even more aplomb
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Some boars smell worse than others!

Last edited by hanco; 09/23/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikkanut

take us pig huntin'

(shootin'}

Roger that!
Of course Tikkanut can offer a guide trip trip some of the most beautiful country on Earth.

And I can, uh, show you the nastiest homeless camps in San Francisco! They will make the hogs smell passable.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.