O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Shoot more groups...need moar DATA

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New set of Talleys, unlapped, old scope back in place.
Should be GTG.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Seems like many oppose lapping the Talley rings. What’s wrong with lapping them? What does it hurt?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Have you cleaned the barrel?

Good question. Barrel was cleaned with "Wipe-Out" until no blue color showed on the patch. The bore was then swabbed with RemOil. Then a dry patch was run through the bore. This was done after every 9 shots.

The 1.25" group came after the barrel was cleaned, and one fouling shot had been fired.

I've always had best results without cleaning during a session. Ive also had some rifles that wouldn't settle down after cleaning until I'd put about a dozen rounds downrange.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Seems like many oppose lapping the Talley rings. What’s wrong with lapping them? What does it hurt?

I’ve never lapped a set of rings in my life and haven’t had an issue.

I would start over again from the beginning and see what you come up with.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What did it help?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If also agree on trying a new set of unlapped talleys. Lapping may not have hurt a thing but Talley specifically says not to.
I personally think with aluminum rings lapping causes more trouble than it fixes

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've lapped every set I've put on. No problems. I'm not marking up an expensive scope in a fifty dollar set of rings. If I ever find out it does cause a problem,I'm done with Talley. I've worked within the tool,die,and machine industry for going on 40 years. IF Talley can,and they can't, produce perfectly matched sets of rings,the holes in rifle actions are far from perfect. A few swipes with the lapping bar will tell you where you're at. If things are horribly crooked,you might just as well look to other mounting options. Burris sings with inserts come to mind. If things are great. Hitting both rings equally. Sally forth to enjoy lots of wallet groups and high fives.

Just curious. After flipping the front ring,how far off of "lapped" was it?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Dude270
If also agree on trying a new set of unlapped talleys. Lapping may not have hurt a thing but Talley specifically says not to.
I personally think with aluminum rings lapping causes more trouble than it fixes

You do want to be careful not to impregnate the aluminum with compound. Lapping will remove the finish. That in itself is likely prompting Talley to promote no lap installation. I still don't agree totally. See above post for the reasoning.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GeoW
New set of Talleys, unlapped, old scope back in place.
Should be GTG.

g

+1, and don't clean the bore while you're shooting. Others have said it but you changed up so many things at once that this was far from inexplicable. It's just unexplained because you've introduced so many variables.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Otter6
I've lapped every set I've put on. No problems. I'm not marking up an expensive scope in a fifty dollar set of rings. If I ever find out it does cause a problem,I'm done with Talley. I've worked within the tool,die,and machine industry for going on 40 years. IF Talley can,and they can't, produce perfectly matched sets of rings,the holes in rifle actions are far from perfect. A few swipes with the lapping bar will tell you where you're at. If things are horribly crooked,you might just as well look to other mounting options. Burris sings with inserts come to mind. If things are great. Hitting both rings equally. Sally forth to enjoy lots of wallet groups and high fives.

Put some rubber cement on your rings before you set the scope in place and you will never mark scopes again provided you dont farmer tighten the screws.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
ahh kimber roulette

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't understand this "neverlap a Talley" mindset. When I ordered my Hill Country Rifles 7mm Rem Mag they used Talleys, lapped them, and told me they lapped most every set of Talley's they install. They do know a thing or two about accuracy and how to set up a rifle.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

So otter, you would have flipped the rings and lapped a second time as well? Who knows how much material the op removed in the process?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

So otter, you would have flipped the rings and lapped a second time as well? Who knows how much material the op removed in the process?

That was my thought as well. The way Otter is talking about lapping is the proper way to go about it. If everything is right then the aluminum rings won't need but a few passes to make everything perfect. If they are off bad,then another solution is necessary. Lapping isn't the problem. The judgement of the one doing the lapping is usually the problem.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 09/04/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Very Good Point . If he is done with Talley then he never ever needs to look at DNZ

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by BWalker

Put some rubber cement on your rings before you set the scope in place and you will never mark scopes again provided you dont farmer tighten the screws.

Yes! I have done just that on a couple 6ppc bench rifles.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Very Good Point . If he is done with Talley then he never ever needs to look at DNZ

Lets not get carried away boys. I was just curious how far off it was in regard to the holes in the action. I'm not done with Talley yet. If I ever have the trouble a lot of folks predict I will. Ill drop them like a hot rivet. No, I buy them. Lap them. Go about my business.

As far as lapping the ring a second time. I doubt it. Personally, I dont get too carried away with the whole process. Taking a minimal amount of material . Can't say what the op did.

Last edited by Otter6; 09/04/18.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

That's a good point. Never bought a DNZ mount. Too many opportunities for error. If they go so far as to wire EDM them,there is no guarantee they won't be off some small amount. All material has some come and go in it. Now assuming it did in fact stay put after being machined,there are the mounting holes. Are they exactly along the axis of the scope? Maybe. Maybe not. Ok, now we have perfectly machined aluminum one piece mounting hardware. If the holes in the action aren't perfect,we have no means of correcting it. Via lapping. Here is another little potential pisser. The rear bridge on Remingtons are rarely the exact height they are supposed to be. Now what? Shim the DNZ or just crank the screws down and hope the ring portion is still lined up. Ill pass.

Last edited by Otter6; 09/04/18.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the replies. I had no idea that lapping scope rings could be so controversial. Otter6 and a few others have made some interesting points, otherwise I am seeing only heartfelt opinions with no evidence or logical reasoning for opposing lapping. Talley saying not to do it is an unsupported assertion, which, by itself, has no supporting reasoning, and thus falls to Hitchen's Razor ("What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence").

IMHO, the benefits of lapping are 1) no ring marks on the scope; 2) the larger contact area spreads the clamping force over a larger area; and 3) ensures the axis of the bores of each ring are co-liner with one another. The first point is undeniable and affects aesthetics and resale value, which by itself is sufficient justification for me. The latter two points reduce the stress on the scope tube and its internal mechanism, which may be overkill, but until someone provides evidence that it causes problems, is an option with no downside. Obviously there are other ways to achieve the same goals, such as the Burris Signature Zee Rings. JMHO and YMMV.

For the second lapping procedure, I applied black Sharpie Pen to the interior surfaces of the rings' bores, ie. the bare aluminum was blackened. I then lapped until most of that black ink had been removed and the entire surface showed scoring from the abrasive, which did not take long. I estimate on the order of a couple of thousands of an inch, at most, was removed from the rings' bores' surfaces. After lapping, the scope tube was placed in the lower mount body and checked for play. The scope tube was a snug fit into the mount without the upper ring in place.

Below is a closeup of the right side of the front ring of the subject rifle. The gap between the top ring and the mount body is about 0.025" by my micrometer. This gap distance is similar for both sides of both the front and back Talley mounts. This gap shows that, despite being lapped twice, the top ring is still applying a clamping force to the scope tube onto the mount. Thus, a snug pre-fit and plenty of clamping force means the second lapping had no ill affects on the Talley mounts' ability to properly hold the scope in place.

[Linked Image]

For the next trip to the range, I will go back to the Kahles scope, and mount it in Burris Signature Zee Rings with the nylon inserts, held in place with Warne Two-Piece bases. Thus, the whole scope-lapping controversy will be by-passed. When and if that first 1/2" group proves to not be a statistical anomaly, I will then retry the Zeiss Conquest scope in the same mounting system. If all goes well, I will then retry the lapped Talleys. During that process, I will shoot more groups, and change only one parameter at time, so I will know the cause if a problem develops.

Again, JMHO and YMMV

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.