Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000. My trusty 2015 Pioneer 700 has been absolutely problem free, but a buddy completely ruined me by tossing me the key to his new 1000. The powertrain is a completely different animal, 6 spd DSG transmission, lots of torque, and very smooth. Top speed of 67mph is largely academic for the type of riding that I do, but it putts around effortlessly. Suspension is pretty good with almost a foot of travel, and 12.8" of ground clearance. The bed is huge compared with the 700 and with a 2000lb tow capacity, and 1000lb load capacity, should be sufficient to do what I want it to do.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on your new rig.

You did well. I like that 1000 Honda. All my Honda products are well built and reliable. It's automobile type quality.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

congrats !

fine machine !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, I’m picking it up on Friday afternoon.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Googled some pics. Shirley that has AC and stereo? smile

Hope it makes you happy, Badger.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good deal, badger. I think I have pretty well narrowed my future SXS down to the same model you bought and maybe two others. Let us know how it performs and we do like pictures if that is possible, if not don't worry about it.

NEVER GIVE UP
badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BIGR
Good deal, badger. I think I have pretty well narrowed my future SXS down to the same model you bought and maybe two others. Let us know how it performs and we do like pictures if that is possible, if not don't worry about it.

Since Photobucket crapped out, I've not been much on posting pictures, but I'll update on the machine when I've got a few miles on it. smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good deal badger.

What I am interested in is the drive train, will it hold back going down a steep mountain, with just the gearing, I don't care about that engine braking crap, a SXS should be able to gear down with the drivetrain. Where I live you gotta have some serious gearing to hold back on theses hills and I will be working one hard.

Whatever I buy its going to have to be farm and woods worthy, really not too interested in a sporty haul as$ machine for play its going to be a hunting and work machine.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Badger, that sounds badass!

Can you get a 'fully sealed, heated cab' on them like you can with Rangers?

BigR, I know a man who absolutely used the hell out of two of 700's.

As in, unless you are mildy crazy, you will not attempt the climbs and just pure wild driving off trail.

Rangers do okay but the Honda version is probably tougher. The same guy loves Yamaha 4 wheelers but had a lot of trouble with their side by side.

badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sam, you can get the cab enclosure for them, but it in the $4k range to do it. Heater is also available. Can see that being a good thing in some climates, but not needed here. I’ve ridden many miles on the 700 with temps in the teens wearing hunting gear, gloves and a ski mask. With a roof, windshield and rear window, it was quite comfortable.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Badger, that sounds badass!

Can you get a 'fully sealed, heated cab' on them like you can with Rangers?

BigR, I know a man who absolutely used the hell out of two of 700's.

As in, unless you are mildy crazy, you will not attempt the climbs and just pure wild driving off trail.

Rangers do okay but the Honda version is probably tougher. The same guy loves Yamaha 4 wheelers but had a lot of trouble with their side by side.

Yea Sam, it wouldn't be doing much narrow trail riding or straight up hill climbing, I know they have their limitations and I am not that wild anymore. I live up on a ridge top and there are only a couple of places I dare go up or down on my King Quad, sorry my nuts aint that fuzzy anymore. grin My brother in law did come up the safest area with his Rhino, but I don't think he ever went down it. Ball hooting, (wheels locked up sliding) while going down hill is a big concern with an ATV or SXS, but if its locked into 4 wheel drive I would hope that should not be happening. At the bottom of the hill is some trees and a stream, no good places to land.. grin My King Quad has never offered to slide down hill in 4 wheel drive.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
does the honda still have that stupid paddle shift? a buddy bought one a few years ago,i hate that damned thing.why not just build a automatic like everyone else.

badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Paddle shift is available on all but the base model. You don’t have tto use it, as it does have a full auto mode, but it’s there in the event you want to select and hold a lower gear. I bought the base model as I don’t need anything more than that. But stupid? Can’t see why it’s stupid.

Last edited by badger; 09/07/18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Badger, sounds about like the Ranger with another $4k for cab and heater. The add on's are way overpriced but quite handy for cold weather use. Before you know it you've got $20k into a big, glorified 4 wheeler which seems absolutely crazy!

I don't use our Ranger a lot but when the time comes to trade it in I will take a serious look at the Honda.

BIGR, be careful on those damn things!

I use a 700 Grizzly for chasing cows and have had couple minor wrecks, side flops. Thankfully nothing too serious, knock on wood.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Badger, sounds about like the Ranger with another $4k for cab and heater. The add on's are way overpriced but quite handy for cold weather use. Before you know it you've got $20k into a big, glorified 4 wheeler which seems absolutely crazy!

I don't use our Ranger a lot but when the time comes to trade it in I will take a serious look at the Honda.

I use a 700 Grizzly for chasing cows and have had couple minor wrecks, side flops. Thankfully nothing too serious, knock on wood.......

because automatic is the only way to go like everyone else. high and low range eliminates the need for shifting.

badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by srwshooter

because automatic is the only way to go like everyone else. high and low range eliminates the need for shifting.

Splitting hairs here I know, but none of them are “automatic” except for the Pioneer 700 with it’s 3 speed automotive type auto transmission. The others are CVT transmissions that use a belt. Even the Pioneer 1000 is not a true automatic, but a DSG (Dual Sequentail Gearbox) 6 speed, essentially an automatically shifted manual gearbox. Because (Insert your favorite brand here) does it one way, doesn’t mean everyone else should either...............

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good deal badger.

What I am interested in is the drive train, will it hold back going down a steep mountain, with just the gearing, I don't care about that engine braking crap, a SXS should be able to gear down with the drivetrain. Where I live you gotta have some serious gearing to hold back on theses hills and I will be working one hard.

Whatever I buy its going to have to be farm and woods worthy, really not too interested in a sporty haul as$ machine for play its going to be a hunting and work machine.

I’m hunting with a guy right now, who’s a cattleman. We’re getting to our glassing spots in his 1000. Funny, just today I asked him the same thing about the transmission. He later showed me how it went down a steep grade in manual low without breaking. Prior to the Pioneer 1000 he had a Honda big red sxs. He likes the pioneer much better and said the pioneer 1000 transmission is much better than the big red for holding the machine back on a steep incline. He thought the pioneer 700 might have the same transmission as the big red had, but he wasn’t sure.

badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Farming
Good deal badger.

I’m hunting with a guy right now, who’s a cattleman. We’re getting to our glassing spots in his 1000. Funny, just today I asked him the same thing about the transmission. He later showed me how it went down a steep grade in manual low without breaking. Prior to the Pioneer 1000 he had a Honda big red sxs. He likes the pioneer much better and said the pioneer 1000 transmission is much better than the big red for holding the machine back on a steep incline. He thought the pioneer 700 might have the same transmission as the big red had, but he wasn’t sure.

The Pioneer 700 and the Big Red have virtually the same transmission and engine. The Pioneer is a little better isolated from the cabin with an additional subframe for the drivetrain that used additional rubber mounts. Including the 1000, I've owned all three. None of the Hondas I've owned have had the first problem, except the usual self inflicted ones, like poking holes in CV boots in recently logged areas etc. I'll report on the 1000 when I've had the opportunity to put some miles on it. It's currently in my shop and I'm tinkering with the accessories as time permits. Winch, windshield , back up lights, light bar etc. smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Farming
Good deal badger.

Good deal Farming, that's what I want, a drivetrain that will hold back, sorry I don't care about no engine braking, that's offered on some models. I think I would be crashed before the engine braking kicked in..... mad

Been off a few steep hills, I know that my king Quad will hold back down those steep hills, heck I have to give it some gas in super low to get it to go down hill...……….. grin

Gotta have a SXS that will do the same or it is useless for me.

NEVER GIVE UP
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by badger

Since Photobucket crapped out, I've not been much on posting pictures, but I'll update on the machine when I've got a few miles on it. smile

Photobucket is up and running dude. Lets see some pics!!

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (35sambar, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.