Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Heading into the Mt. backcountry in a week to fish some alpine lakes, my wife and I are taking our spinning gear, what are some of your favorite trout lures?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never been to a beaver pond that had fish, that I couldn’t catch one with a panther martin. Seems like the preferred color changes from year to year, but the style has always been a producer.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Panther Martins size 2 or 4 ....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Agreed on Panther Martins and I've had good luck on mid size yellow Rooster Tails on high lakes in Sept.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Panther Martins in black with gold spinner.
I also like to have along a small Adjust-a-Bubble and a few bead head woolly buggers in black, also a couple grasshopper and Renegade flies in the summer and fall.

We'll need a report on your return!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As stated, small spinners, spoon or two, maybe a small Rapala (there is ONLY silver and black), and a Clear fly bubble with a selection of locally popular flies.
Just a thought, unless the lakes are stocked, natural reproduction is not real strong so if you do catch and grease, do so sparingly.
What you end up with with from bad hooked fish may fill the pan.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Panther Martins are my first choice also, black and gold spinner and the yellow/red/orange dots with gold spinner. Others are small Kastmasters in gold and the silver/blue combo. Lil cleo spoons can also be very effective.

Another favorite of mine for trout is the Pistol Pete which is a small wooly worm with a propeller on the end fished with a sliding bubble and a leader. My favorite color is yellow. But I tie these in a variety of colors including, red, peacock, orange, black, olive and various sparkle colors. Fish it by casting and letting it sink then retrieving, vary the retrieve from just barely moving to fast and find the one fish are preferring.

When the trout are rising in the early AM or late PM another favorite of mine is to use the sliding bubble and fly using a Renegade in sizes 14 to 18 most popular is size 16. Toss it out, retrieve to straighten the line and let sit for a bit then very slooooooooooowly retrieve it, barely moving the fly. Typically for the bubble and fly technique I use a 5X leader. Good luck on your fishing.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Anyone still use the old Colorado spinners? I used to have good luck with them in gold or copper in small pond, sometimes with a salmon egg added.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Panther Martin, Joe's Flies, Mepps; all spinners will work on Trout - only the trout can tell you what they like that day. My last three Brown Trout were caught on a Joe's Flies 1/4 oz. Black Gnat, a 1/8 oz. Cleo gold spoon, and a 1/16 oz. Dardevle red/white trout spoon - all on the same fishing trip.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the high Uintas of Utah, anglers swear by the Phoebe spoon, the Lil Jake's, the Kastmaster, and black or brown maribou jigs - in addition to the Panther Martins and Roostertails mentioned above. If you took along some small jigs and a jar of Gulp! minnows, you'd have to hide behind a tree to tie one on.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
thanks for the advice guys, I'll report back!

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
HW how’d you do?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My go to lure for high country trout is a Mepp's "0" size with a gold blade.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
N
NTG Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I've often had luck with small flies behind a bubble. Prince nymph, hairs ear, etc. And I've had luck with most mentioned above.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Anyone still use the old Colorado spinners? I used to have good luck with them in gold or copper in small pond, sometimes with a salmon egg added.

Hildebrandts have always worked for me.

But, Alpine lake's all about gettin the bait in front of em, really.

Gold on sunny days, nickle on cloudy.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Trout magnets. I'd never heard of them till about four years ago; I thought something that simple had to be hype, but I got some and can't believe how they work on stocked trout in the tailwater and on crappie, bluegill, and even a few stray bass and catfish in the reservoir. The best colors I've used are pink for trout and bison for everything. Watch the instructional videos on the trout magnet website and youtube. They've worked for me under a float and on a slow retrieve. Use them with the trout magnet shad dart style jig head. You will have trouble casting the 1/64 oz head unless you've got a light enough spinning outfit, but I've also used them on a 1/32 head. Much easier to cast with a float as long as you're not fishing too deep.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So how did ya do?

Trouble with high country lakes they can be hot or cold on any given day . . . hour.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LouisB
So how did ya do?

Trouble with high country lakes they can be hot or cold on any given day . . . hour.

Yep, one time I was on a high lake, had waded out a short distance on a fan shaped lip which dropped off rapidly. I had been working small nymphs and wooly buggers for a couple of hours to not so much as a looker. Then suddenly the fish (cutthroats) started to rise. I switched to red humpy and caught fish on practically every cast for about an hour then just as suddenly the fish seemed to disappear. As far as I could tell no flies were hatching, not even no see-ems.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by immature
Trout magnets. I'd never heard of them till about four years ago; I thought something that simple had to be hype, but I got some and can't believe how they work on stocked trout in the tailwater and on crappie, bluegill, and even a few stray bass and catfish in the reservoir. The best colors I've used are pink for trout and bison for everything. Watch the instructional videos on the trout magnet website and youtube. They've worked for me under a float and on a slow retrieve. Use them with the trout magnet shad dart style jig head. You will have trouble casting the 1/64 oz head unless you've got a light enough spinning outfit, but I've also used them on a 1/32 head. Much easier to cast with a float as long as you're not fishing too deep.

Trout magnets are killer around here. Put a couple split shot about 18" above and twitch them all the way in. The trout will just pound them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.