Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m overrun with squirrels. No birdfeeder is safe from their destructiveness. Squirrel barriers are useless as they simply jump from nearby trees.

What pellet rifle do you recommend? I don’t think I want a 1000fps pellet rifle because of the potential for ricochets. Don't want to go to the scuba shop every time I get low on gas either, so I'm looking for a break-barrel or lever type action. Accuracy is mandatory. Quiet would be good but this is not imperative.

Thx

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How far you lookin to shoot em ? If you can keep it within 20 yards a simple Daisy 880 will do the job. I have an old 881 {same as 880 but with silver receiver} from the 70's that has killed a truckload of squrrels off my bird feeders. I have a bunch of other air rifles but my 881 when pumped to full power is MUCH quieter than any of my break barrels or other pumpers.

DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
How far you lookin to shoot em ? If you can keep it within 20 yards a simple Daisy 880 will do the job. I have an old 881 {same as 880 but with silver receiver} from the 70's that has killed a truckload of squrrels off my bird feeders.

More like 50' max.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My Sheridan .20 cal isIt is accurate enough with iron sights to kill 'em at 30 yards. It's 50 years old or so and has killed beaucoup squirrels, bunnies and a few chucks and raccoons. One pump will kill head shot squirrels, 3 pumps will kill 'em all.

DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll need a scope, my eyes aren't what they used to be. Cataract surgery is scheduled for Tuesday.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
PM ole sharp things.
Mass murderer of bushy tails.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This pretty much meets what you describe.

Last you a long time, too.

https://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/benjamin-392

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've got an old Sheridan that you pump up. Serious squirrel gun.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
.22 rifle with mustard shot works well.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
.22 rifle with mustard shot works well.

Seriously? Clean kills?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have problems with magpies and robins eating my peaches, blackberries, etc. My distances are a little longer, so I have an RWS M48. It has a lever on the side and shoots a pellet around 1000 fps. Kills magpies 50 yards out if I can hit them. With soft lead pellets, ricochets are not a problem. I've destroyed three scopes so far, all air gun rated. My next "pellet rifle" will be a new barrel for my 10-22 a silencer ...

DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
I have problems with magpies and robins eating my peaches, blackberries, etc. My distances are a little longer, so I have an RWS M48. It has a lever on the side and shoots a pellet around 1000 fps. Kills magpies 50 yards out if I can hit them. With soft lead pellets, ricochets are not a problem. I've destroyed three scopes so far, all air gun rated. My next "pellet rifle" will be a new barrel for my 10-22 a silencer ...

I'm sitting on READY for the "Ear Protection Act"!!!!! Bye bye $200 registration! Gawd, I hate politicians...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No air gun expert here but 3 years ago I got my first... A .22 cal. Benjamin Trail with the Nitro Piston 2 system (break barrel). Seems awful quiet to me but some guys tell me there's others that are even quieter. My maximun range on squirrels is maybe 20 yards but it works for what I need it for. Even squirrel hunted with it just for grins. Chronographed it and getting 736-832 fps velocity depending on pellet weight. I was told .22 for fur, .17 for feathers which influenced me to .22 but it seems that I could have done much the same with a .177 but like I said; I'm still a relative newbie on air guns although I've been impressed by some of the other Crosman stuff, also.

DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Crossman has been in biz forever! Any RWS aficionados on here?
Originally Posted by 22250rem
No air gun expert here but 3 years ago I got my first... A .22 cal. Benjamin Trail with the Nitro Piston 2 system (break barrel). Seems awful quiet to me but some guys tell me there's others that are even quieter. My maximun range on squirrels is maybe 20 yards but it works for what I need it for. Even squirrel hunted with it just for grins. Chronographed it and getting 736-832 fps velocity depending on pellet weight. I was told .22 for fur, .17 for feathers which influenced me to .22 but it seems that I could have done much the same with a .177 but like I said; I'm still a relative newbie on air guns although I've been impressed by some of the other Crosman stuff, also.

Just googled this one. Looks like a space gun. Is that a silencer or barrel weight?

Crossman has been in biz forever! Any RWS aficionados on here? The RWS Diana Model 24 looks cool and would fit my 11yo grandson.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Last month up in New York I bought a top of the line ($240) .22 Gamo for a nephew to hone his shooting skills. Worked fine with iron sights, came with a probably idiotic variable 9x scope.

The barrel-cocking effort on these things is considerable, the specs said 41lbs, felt like it too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Last month up in New York I bought a top of the line ($240) .22 Gamo for a nephew to hone his shooting skills. Worked fine with iron sights, came with a probably idiotic variable 9x scope.

The barrel-cocking effort on these things is considerable, the specs said 41lbs, felt like it too.

After a few recommendations for a specific that fits the bill, I'm going to scour around for a decent used one.

Looking around on pellet gun forums, the break barrels are referred to as "Springers". Kewl.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just an FYI. I have a Benjamin 392 and have had a couple Sheridans. All were alot louder than my Daisy 881 and NONE are/were as accurate. I also have a BSA Meteor, which is only a low-mid power gun for a springer and it too is alot louder than the 881 and no more accurate. I don't know if the new plastic receivered, Chinese made 880's are as good as the old metal receiver USA made guns but I have my doubts. There are good used old school metal receiver 880's on gunbroker all the time for under 75.00 from Dennis Baker that have been newly resealed and that's what I'd get if going that route.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If finding a squirrel-proof birdfeeder is the most important thing then here it is . . . I have several in my yard and have used them for years. 100% squirrel-proof.

If shooting squirrels is the motive, plenty of pellet guns out there. No need to use one excuse to justify the other IMO.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Just an FYI. I have a Benjamin 392 and have had a couple Sheridans. All were alot louder than my Daisy 881 and NONE are/were as accurate. I also have a BSA Meteor, which is only a low-mid power gun for a springer and it too is alot louder than the 881 and no more accurate. I don't know if the new plastic receivered, Chinese made 880's are as good as the old metal receiver USA made guns but I have my doubts. There are good used old school metal receiver 880's on gunbroker all the time for under 75.00 from Dennis Baker that have been newly resealed and that's what I'd get if going that route.

What a great lead! Dennis Baker looks like a "One stop shop!!! I'm liking the crap out of this one:

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
OMG, I had one of these when I was a kid! I'd completely forgotten this until seeing it on the Dennis Baker's website. I'm wondering to myself if this is why I'm so prejudiced toward pump shotguns???

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (7887mm08, 44mc, Akhutr, Algotguns, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 11 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,234
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.