-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bipod for sure is steady, but it's only useful if the grass and sage isn't tall enough to be in the way, or if you're not on a decline and the ground in front of you is lower than where your feet and/or butt are. I do carry a bipod on my main deer rifle but only am able to use it half, or less of the time.

I have shot a lot of mule deer off my pack, or just using a tree as a rest, when shooting prone simply isn't an option. I can think of 5 or so mule deer I have shot offhand simply due to there not being a rest handy and I had to shoot now or never and probably 5 more that I shot from sitting.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I couldn’t imagine putting a 25S on a compact 7# rifle. Maybe it’s just me.

I have used the 9-13”, but it’s not the best. I’d opt for a pack, but I guess there are a lot of factors to consider.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Back pack

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
Nothing there is to many natural rests or my pack.

yes......bob

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
go on a couple jackrabbit hunts to make you better for off hand shots for big game, plus its fun as hell

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stoney Point shooting sticks for roving stand hunting. They stay in my pack. Monopod for glassing and standing/quick kneeling shots. Carry it through my pack belt like sword. I normally carry light rifles. A Bipod is nothing I would ever pack on a rifle while hunting.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mooshoo
go on a couple jackrabbit hunts to make you better for off hand shots for big game, plus its fun as hell

I was gunna stay out of this until I saw this post. No substitute for good shooting practice, and jackrabbits are the best!

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
Nothing there is to many natural rests or my pack.

Yeah, I'll just grab that nearest "natural rest."

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Just wanting advice on what you folks are most likely using as shooting rest when hunting in the field? I will be taking my 1st ever western mule deer hunt in the future and am curious if folks shoot off bipods or sticks ... or do you mostly shoot off your packs you’re carrying? I’m accustomed to shooting off a bipod attached to my coyote rifle when hunting in Illinois but I’m not sure I want something extra attached to my rifle for my mule deer hunt. Curious what works best for everyone. I have lots of time to practice but I want to figure out a game plan and run with it.

I use my pack if I use anything. Learned a long time ago the less crap I pack up the hill, the better...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I take folding sticks along in my pack, usually Stoney Point Pole Cat or home made from a fiberglass tent pole replacement kit.

I'm usually sitting, shooting over the top of sagebrush or offhand / grab a branch if I'm in the trees.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Optics Planet has the Harris Ultralight Bipod w/Hinged Base 13.5-27" S-25CS on sale for $104.54 shipped when you use the discount coupon code 12HSMB at checkout.

It only weighs 19 ounces. I went ahead and grabbed another.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/harris...ods-hinged-base-13-5-27-inch-s-25cs.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current preference would be the Harris S-15C as I like the extra 2" going to 27" when sitting, and also like using a short bipod under the rifle butt. I have used the Steady Stix (bi and tri versions), pack, cross-sticks from dowels or arrows, the Claw on a tripod, cradle on a tripod. I have not used a trigger stick tripod, but in the store they seem handy but heavy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
I use my pack if I use anything. Learned a long time ago the less crap I pack up the hill, the better...

+1
And my pack is minimal. Usually a minimal amount of survival and hunting gear in a fanny pack, and sometimes an empty pack frame to carry meat out.

I see many of the Outdoor Channel "experts" carrying huge, filled packs for day hunts even when hunting out of their spike camps.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I HATE bipods on a rifle. Use shooting sticks instead. Some times you have to shoot standing up. Tough to get a bipod in a scabbard too.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As I aged, I found I could not effectively shoot off hand and even fund field positions were awkward. I use shooting bipod telescoping sticks now. Yep they slow you down some, but more and more, my hunting, due to physical limitations is sitting instead of stalking. I still do some of that and the sticks are in one hand, rifle in the other. I have always used some sort of natural rest if available. My day pack was always on my back when I needed a rest so I can't say I ever used that

Although I still use a Harris bipod on my antelope gun, I found getting the Harris Bipods in shooting position was much slower than the shooting bipods sticks. Mant times tbe rifle mounted Bipods are too short and they sure don't fit in a scabbard well.

If a person wants to keep hunting in senior years, they have to make some compromises or stay home

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DLSguide
I HATE bipods on a rifle. Use shooting sticks instead. Some times you have to shoot standing up. Tough to get a bipod in a scabbard too.

^^^This^^^

Never saw the use for a bipod mounted on a nice light hunting rifle. Ruins it for me. Almost every idiot on every hunting show has a bipod mounted on their rifle. And you rarely ever see them use it. Only use I see for a rifle mounted bipod is at the Range. I’m not a sniper. I’m a hunter. 🤠

When i know I’ll be doing a lot of walking while hunting, a set of Stoney Point shooting sticks, works great for me. And If I’m doing a spot and stalk type hunt. and not traveling far, I absolutely love my BogPod full size tripod. And I sometimes use a monopod or a walking stick. I don’t mind lugging the big BogPod or MonoPod in my hand while hunting. My rifle stays slung on my shoulder until I can take a steady, humane, killing shot. No quick shots at fleeting deer for me. If I can’t take a good steady rest and make a good shot, I’ll just pass.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/20/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
homemade sticks. I don't leave home without them....

Ditto!

I made a set of 3 footers for sitting, but for big game hunting I use a set of 4 footers. they can be used as a 'walking stick', when folded together, and when used from a kneeling position, they get you above most brush and tall grass for a clean shot. they can be flattened folded to sit or for a hillside shot as well- 5/8ths inch hardwood dowels, bolted a few inches from the end on one side and leather wrapped for rifle protection, linseed stained with some burn stripes for camoflauge breakup

Last edited by desertshooter; 09/21/18.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
A bipod for sure is steady, but it's only useful if the grass and sage isn't tall enough to be in the way, or if you're not on a decline and the ground in front of you is lower than where your feet and/or butt are. I do carry a bipod on my main deer rifle but only am able to use it half, or less of the time.

I have shot a lot of mule deer off my pack, or just using a tree as a rest, when shooting prone simply isn't an option. I can think of 5 or so mule deer I have shot offhand simply due to there not being a rest handy and I had to shoot now or never and probably 5 more that I shot from sitting.

This^^^.

I like adjustable tall sticks that get me over high grass, weeds and above a lot of small mesguite. They also are great for balancing the 15 x Zeiss on when trying to pick antler tips out from under small mesquites at 200-300 yards or a deers head out of same at 300-800 yards. West Texas scatterd brush, love grass, semi-desert country is often not compatible with sitting or kneeling to shoot or even glass. I also am not interested, at my age, in sitting down and getting up 50 times a day, on a hike, to hit a spot with the binocs.

I have some (forget brand) that can be adjusted down to about 36 in. which allows me to sit and use for a rifle rest if i angle the feet forward a bit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/22/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
[Linked Image][/ur

[url=https://postimg.cc/qtpVQNKC][Linked Image]

2 sows and big piglets

You wont be able to get above a lot of brush in this country sitting down. Its a bummer to have a direct line of sight standing and kneel to shoot and not see anything but brush. Im actually up on a small sandhill taking this phone pic.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/22/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd rather carry a lightweight rifle with a bipod than a heavy rifle with a bipod!

[Linked Image]

Of course a lightweight with no bipod would be lighter but far less deadly......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 1minute, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 1,781 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,054
Posts18,463,191
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.