Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
When bringing your own weapons to Africa do you have or have a lock in all 4 holes that you could possibly put a lock in on the case? I was thinking about putting 2 on the case and 2 inside the case just to have spares in case someone the way decided to cut/break one of the locks. Thoughts?? Thanks for the info!

P.S. Take off in 3 days!!!

Randall

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just returned from a safari in South Africa a few days ago. I took my rifle in an ACC aluminum case, which has a rod that extends through holes in all four latches, and locks at one end with a single padlock or combo lock.

Before leaving, I contacted TSA and asked them if I needed a separate lock for each latch, or if the system I have was acceptable. Their answer was that they didn't care how many locks were on a rifle case, as long as no latch could be opened.
I locked the rod with the one padlock, and had absolutely no problems anywhere along the way. I did put three padlocks in the case, just in the event that some idiot thought otherwise, but didn't need them.
Hope this helps, and good luck. Where in Africa are you hunting?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ShortMag----I just got back from South Africa. I put a lock on every latch on my gun case----4. I bought them at my local Ace Hardware----$20 I think for 4 master knockoffs keyed alike. I had my ammunition in locked ammo box in my suitcase again it was locked with a master. The ammo box was locked, the suitcase was not. Went thru ABQ to ATL to Johannesburg and back without a problem. Bob

Make sure you have your paperwork filled out & it's correct. If your hunting in SA make sure you have a letter of introduction from your outfitter.

Last edited by colorado bob; 09/04/18.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Just returned from a safari in South Africa a few days ago. I took my rifle in an ACC aluminum case, which has a rod that extends through holes in all four latches, and locks at one end with a single padlock or combo lock.

Before leaving, I contacted TSA and asked them if I needed a separate lock for each latch, or if the system I have was acceptable. Their answer was that they didn't care how many locks were on a rifle case, as long as no latch could be opened.
I locked the rod with the one padlock, and had absolutely no problems anywhere along the way. I did put three padlocks in the case, just in the event that some idiot thought otherwise, but didn't need them.
Hope this helps, and good luck. Where in Africa are you hunting?

Bighorn, I'm flying to Joberg and hunting the Limpopo area.

Reason for asking was because I've heard some people say lock every latch or hole on the case and some people say put an extra lock or 2 inside the case just in case some @$$hole decides to cut them. I bought a 4 pack for $20 (probably the same pack bob mentioned).

Thanks for the input.

Randall

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by colorado bob
ShortMag----I just got back from South Africa. I put a lock on every latch on my gun case----4. I bought them at my local Ace Hardware----$20 I think for 4 master knockoffs keyed alike. I had my ammunition in locked ammo box in my suitcase again it was locked with a master. The ammo box was locked, the suitcase was not. Went thru ABQ to ATL to Johannesburg and back without a problem. Bob

Make sure you have your paperwork filled out & it's correct. If your hunting in SA make sure you have a letter of introduction from your outfitter.

Bob, what you described is exactly what I am doing. My ammo will be locked in a Pelican case inside my check-in luggage. My only concern is whether to lock all 4 latches or not. If I lock all 4 and someone along the way decides they want in that case and cuts them then I have no way to lock the case for the rest of the trip. My original intent was to lock the 2 latches that have the metal inserts in them and put the other 2 locks inside the case.

I am also flying the same path you took except I'm leaving from New Orleans instead of Albuquerque.

Should I bring extra copies of any paperwork?? Thanks

Randall

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good idea to put a lock in every hole.

A couple of years back my ammo was in a Pelican case in my luggage with only one lock but two holes. The TSA agent made me put a second lock on the ammo box. The only reason I was using a Pelican Case for ammo was the year before on my way to Zim, the officials in Jo'berg felt it was a good idea to take my ammo out of my bag and let it fly in a cheap plastic box. By some miracle it made it.

The moral is that at times it is best to bring things to the lowest common denominator. I could have argued and proved there was no need for a second lock, but it was better to use a spare lock and make my flight.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just got back from our South Africa trip. My case also has 4 lock holes, and I locked them all. That said, I saw others that had empty lock positions and they breezed thru like I did.

Johannesburg was much easier than the return thru ATL; The guy in ATL had a monster sized set of bolt cutters under his desk, so I'm sure some locks do get chopped--probably mostly for guys that lost their keys. They'll also spray your boots there.

I also locked my ammo with a TSA lock in my checked bag which also had a TSA lock. There was evidence they had opened it on the way over.

Extra copies of paperwork is a good idea tho you probably won't need it. I had a set in the guncase, my carry on, and checked bag. I also had a PDF of everything saved to my phone, just in case.

Good luck, you're going to have a blast!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Randall--first, no one should cut your locks off, if they need to inspect the guns they will come and get you. If I had 4 lock holes I would use 4 locks. Remember to have a Customs Officer sign off on your 4457 before you go to the airport. Using a good gun permit service is recommended, I used Afton house (where I was overnighting) and they sucked! Good luck and have fun!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ShortMag-----I had an extra set of paperwork. I didn't need it. I hunted in the Limpopo also. You'll have a great hunt. Enjoy & take lots of photos. Everything not just dead animals. Flowers, trees, birds, locals, camp etc. IOnly bad thing about Africa is on that long flight back to Atlanta----you'll be planning your next trip back. Bob

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
ShortMag-----I had an extra set of paperwork. I didn't need it. I hunted in the Limpopo also. You'll have a great hunt. Enjoy & take lots of photos. Everything not just dead animals. Flowers, trees, birds, locals, camp etc. IOnly bad thing about Africa is on that long flight back to Atlanta----you'll be planning your next trip back. Bob

Colorado Bob, what did you hunt? Care to share some pictures?

Randall

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sako76
Randall--first, no one should cut your locks off, if they need to inspect the guns they will come and get you. If I had 4 lock holes I would use 4 locks. Remember to have a Customs Officer sign off on your 4457 before you go to the airport. Using a good gun permit service is recommended, I used Afton house (where I was overnighting) and they sucked! Good luck and have fun!

Bob, i think i’m Ready. I’ve got the 4457 signed. I will lock all 4 latches and I’m using rifle permits as recommended by my outfitter. I’m getting anxious/nervous. Hoping all goes well! Hopefully, i’ll send you some pics with your old rifle!

Randall

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

Colorado Bob, what did you hunt? Care to share some pictures?

Randall

I hunted Cape Buffalo. We also spend a few days in Kruger. Photos are on my wife's phone & the PH has some that he hasn't forwarded to me. I'm not smart enough to get the ones on my wife's phone and post here. Heck I can barely text with the phone.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just to add a probably minor point...when I notify the ticket counter person, I never, ever use the term "weapons". I'll use "firearms" or even "sporting firearms" but I don't need them to get triggered over the term "weapons".

Same for "ammunition" instead of "ammo" or, heaven forbid, "bullets".

Probably doesn't matter, but why tempt fate?

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
McCray
Agree. Not a minor point.
Weapons are used on humans, at least according to the NCO that “educated” me in basic training.
Hunting rifles are used for sport hunting.
The European’s call them stalking rifles.

Last edited by RinB; 09/05/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GTC22
Just got back from our South Africa trip. My case also has 4 lock holes, and I locked them all. That said, I saw others that had empty lock positions and they breezed thru like I did.

Johannesburg was much easier than the return thru ATL; The guy in ATL had a monster sized set of bolt cutters under his desk, so I'm sure some locks do get chopped--probably mostly for guys that lost their keys. They'll also spray your boots there.

I also locked my ammo with a TSA lock in my checked bag which also had a TSA lock. There was evidence they had opened it on the way over.

Extra copies of paperwork is a good idea tho you probably won't need it. I had a set in the guncase, my carry on, and checked bag. I also had a PDF of everything saved to my phone, just in case.

Good luck, you're going to have a blast!

One of the more useful ways to keep paperwork available, printable, and sendable is to email it to yourself using a secure encrypted email service such as protonmail.

You can lose everything that you possess on a trip and with access to internet anywhere you can obtain copies of your documentation.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I will add to this conversation by saying that on my recent SA safari, I used Gracy Travel to arrange for all our flights, handle all the gun permits, and provide their Meet and Greet service thru the Joburg airport, coming and going. I have used them twice now, after two previous trips doing it all on my own, and I can promise their is No Way I would ever consider going thru Joburg without their services, or some similar service.
They inundate you with a mountain of travel data before your trip, but if you read and heed it, you know exactly what to expect. This includes info on firearms, ammo, how to navigate the various airports, etc.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Randall--good luck with that Sako 300 WSM!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Randall--first, no one should cut your locks off, if they need to inspect the guns they will come and get you. NOT TRUE!!! I have had LOCKS CUT OFF TWICE!!! NO ONE Contacted me either Time!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a set of eight locks, all keyed alike on Amazon. four in the latches and four spares inside the pelican case.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.