Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by pahick
How in the hell do they get your card numbers?!?!? I havent been to that Walmart in months and never the gas station.

PS

Sorry you goin through it too. Id make em disappear for ya if I could, them sobs!

Whoever actually stole your credit information may not have the person(s) that tried to use it.

Your info could have been stolen/hacked days, weeks, months, or ?, ago, from no telling where, not used, but instead sold online on the 'Dark Web', where it may have been listed for sale world wide, among literally countless thousands upon thousands of other persons credit and personal financial info, and just recently sold, likely as not via a discounted volume purchase of X number of other's info.

Truth be told, no telling how many of us may already have some or even all of our personal financial info listed right now for sale on the Dark Web, stolen/hacked no telling how long ago nor from where but just hasn't sold, or if so, not been used,... yet.

Here’s How Much Your Personal Information Is Selling for on the Dark Web

Last edited by joken2; 09/11/18. Reason: added link
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by joken2

How in the hell do they get your card numbers?!?!? I havent been to that Walmart in months and never the gas station.

PS

Sorry you goin through it too. Id make em disappear for ya if I could, them sobs!

Whoever actually stole your credit information may not have the person(s) that tried to use it.

Your info could have been stolen/hacked days, weeks, months, or ?, ago, from no telling where, not used, but instead sold online on the 'Dark Web', where it may have been listed for sale world wide, among literally countless thousands upon thousands of other persons credit and personal financial info, and just recently sold, likely as not via a discounted volume purchase of X number of other's info.

Truth be told, no telling how many of us may already have some or even all of our personal financial info listed right now for sale on the Dark Web, stolen/hacked no telling how long ago nor from where but just hasn't sold, or if so, not been used,... yet.

Here’s How Much Your Personal Information Is Selling for on the Dark Web

There’s a wake up call.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mad Got an email alert on my phone that someone tried to purchase gas next town over. Ten minutes later another alert they tried to buy something at Walmart. If I knew who the hell it was id drag them sobs through town behind my truck to the square and gut and hang them cock suckers for all to see!!!

Called and had cards canceled. Phuggin pissed!! mad mad

Karma for them mother phuggers!

Be happy for the email, bank is watching your money.

I received a text at 330 am about six weeks ago to confirm I was purchasing a 5,500 dollar Samsung tv, an two other charges in the hundred dollar range. All were declined by my bank after not receiving my response.

Sign of the times, remember when check fraud was huge?

Dave

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I can't remember when I last received a new card because the old one expired... Just had fraud a few months ago. CHASE is on top it every time with new cards received within two days.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can't for the life of me understand why this cannot be prevented.
Maybe disposable style cards or something,seems like the banks are in on it with the amount of fraud,and very,very little prosecution.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rong
I can't for the life of me understand why this cannot be prevented.
Maybe disposable style cards or something,seems like the banks are in on it with the amount of fraud,and very,very little prosecution.

Hard to prosecute what is an international type crime.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Last week my bank called and informed me a .35 cent charge had been attempted in Brazil, South America.

The bank further informed me the charge had been declined, BUT, I had to cancel my card, have a new one issued, and then get busy on the monotonous task of re-configuring all of my auto-pay accounts.
Ebay, Paypal, Electric & Water, GunBroker, and a host of others. You always miss one or more accounts and then get a notification of a "decline". PIA!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Trade my thief for yours.

My thief’s, aka a previous renter and now just a squatter.

Into me for $3600 now. Finally caught up with him face to face last night.

Hope we will have some resolution this weekend.

Montana MOFO
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Sorry for your troubles, and not to be a smartass, but at least you know who yours is and can do something to em.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mad Got an email alert on my phone that someone tried to purchase gas next town over. Ten minutes later another alert they tried to buy something at Walmart. If I knew who the hell it was id drag them sobs through town behind my truck to the square and gut and hang them cock suckers for all to see!!!

Called and had cards canceled. Phuggin pissed!! mad mad

Karma for them mother phuggers!

Now the fun begins, you have to figure out who all gets paid automatically with your now cancelled cards, and convince them that you have a new card coming and will update as soon as possible. It sucks, I forgot the DISH @$$wholes, explained it to them in detail, but no, they made me change my payment method because of one declined payment that the billing cycle occurred right as this was happening.

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 09/11/18.
IC B3

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin

Now the fun begins, you have to figure out who all gets paid automatically with your now cancelled cards, and convince them that you have a new card coming and will update as soon as possible. It sucks, I forgot the DISH @$$wholes, explained it to them in detail, but no, they made me change my payment method because of one declined payment that the billing cycle occurred right as this was happening.

No auto pay. I never do that. Takes more time, and a dedicated schedule, but I never trusted auto pay. Too many people get double triple charged.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I generally only use cash. I make a withdrawal from my banks ATM and use the cash for all my daily expenses. I minimize my chance of identity theft by not using my cards much. I also don’t like being electronically predictable or tracked in my habits and haunts.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have a cell phone?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Skimmer fraud soaring at ATMs and gas pumps

“Some of the newer skimmers are almost impossible to see, even if you know what you’re looking for,” says David Tente, U.S. executive director of the ATM Industry Association.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by joken2

Skimmer fraud soaring at ATMs and gas pumps

“Some of the newer skimmers are almost impossible to see, even if you know what you’re looking for,” says David Tente, U.S. executive director of the ATM Industry Association.

Excellent post, joken, hope everyone reads this.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Sorry for your troubles, and not to be a smartass, but at least you know who yours is and can do something to em.

No doubt. But the root of my frustration is that even though I know. The law actually protects them beyond belief. So while you're getting stolen from, the law is aiding the criminal. Incredibly frustrating.

Montana MOFO
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

No doubt. But the root of my frustration is that even though I know. The law actually protects them beyond belief. So while you're getting stolen from, the law is aiding the criminal. Incredibly frustrating.

There’s no law that says you can’t move in with the bastard. A friend in Alaska did this to one of his bum tenants and they left that same day. Went in the bathroom, sat and took a scchitt while the bums wife was in the shower.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Y'all remember this as "They" try to make us a cashless society.

No auto pay here, but I do put in for tags by computer and I dread the day they're drawing tags and charging cards and mine just happens to be cancelled at the time....................that would really suck especially if I just got hit for a long awaited hunt.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by DMc
Last week my bank called and informed me a .35 cent charge had been attempted in Brazil, South America.

The bank further informed me the charge had been declined, BUT, I had to cancel my card, have a new one issued, and then get busy on the monotonous task of re-configuring all of my auto-pay accounts.
Ebay, Paypal, Electric & Water, GunBroker, and a host of others. You always miss one or more accounts and then get a notification of a "decline". PIA!

They were testing the card number to see if it still worked. You'd have gotten hit with a big charge in a day or so if the bank hadn't caught it.

I've had my number stolen three or four times and it is a PIA setting everything back up on autopay. I autopay all the bills I can since I work off for weeks at a time, it just saves a lot of hassle. I also use my credit card for most everything instead of my debit card. The credit card gives you a lot more safety when it comes to fraudulent charges. As someone else pointed out, debit is basically a direct line to your bank account and once it's gone from the account you have to prove why it should be returned. With the credit card you dispute the charges and the card company goes after the merchant to prove why he should be paid. It's much safer from the consumer's point of view.

I didn't know about the skimmers in the credit card slot, thanks to who posted it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

249 members (22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 24 invisible), 1,542 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.