Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Jordan,

While I like the additional 40 MOA with the Burris and 20 MOA Talley option.

1. is it really needed? On the Ballistic software, the 6.5 Creedmoor 140 BTHP American gunner is only 31 MOA/9 MILs adjustment at 1,000 yards. It seems the regular Talley's would work with a 6x or 10x MQ.

2. If you have to add a cheek pad, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a very lightweight rifle? Or, even with the added weight, is it much less than a similar Montana, etc.?

Or, is that combo more about rugged than about extra elevation?

I like rugged and not having to worry about my scope/mounting system crapping the bed. That's why I swapped out the Talley LW's, and that's what the system is geared toward. I went with the 0 MOA rail on this rifle to try and get the rear of the scope down a little lower, and Talley told me that the difference between the 0 MOA and 20 MOA rail is mainly in the height of the rear of the base. That's what made that decision for me. I'd be happy if there were other, lower options with the ruggedness of a rail, but the selection is currently very limited.

The XTR Sig rings do several things that I like. They grip like the devil, they mitigate mis-aligned rings and having to lap (as sometimes happens with Talley LW's), and they allow me to add enough cant to bottom out the elevation in the erector assembly.

The twist rate, mag box latitude, throating, 5 screw holes for the scope base, and rugged scope/mount setup is the advantage of that rifle. I don't mind stock packs at all, and kind of like them for certain things like storing my DOPE card, an allen key for the turrets, etc.

It's obviously not a perfect setup as is, and if Burris or Warne come out with a low base that's compatible with the 1913 pic-spec rings, I'll be happy to make the switch from the overly tall Talley rail.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If Warne or Burris comes out with a low base I will be at the front of the line!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've heard through The Grapevine,that the (5) 8x40's mated to a 20 MOMO rail,with 40 MOMO 'Horn's,prolly do an erector favors(EVERYTHING Below zero,is 100% fhuqking USELESS) and ring spacing "prolly" helps zero retention. Not that I don't enjoy a High Pitched Nasal Whine from a fhuqking Snowflake,who only "shoots" her mouth and Imagination. Hint. Laffin'!

Through The Grapevine RINK

Through The Grapevine Again RINK

1000 Words.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I VERY much enjoy,that a CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqk cain't look through a scope and frets how it "looks",over how it performs. EPIC fhuqking humor!

A mile is a breeze,as configured and 147 ELD's shine a touch more,than just brightly. The parcel is handy/dandy,amazingly robust,holds zero amazingly,tracks like it has eyes and is simply THE fhuqking benchmark of relative evaluation...and simply has NO fhuqking peer. Hint.

Hell...one of these days,I might even take THE Safe Queen outta the house.

LAFFIN'!

[Linked Image]

I've also heard through The Grapevine(but have yet to see one),that LRF's will even tell a gent,how far way thangs is!?! Who'da' thunk it???

[Linked Image]

You STUPID fhuqks are a hoot!

Laffin'!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Hard to tell true height compared to the Talley base..... If the picture is a true picture of the Leupold base, it looks like it only has 4 holes.....if there's 5 holes on the action I'd rather use all 5 than only 4.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Hard to tell true height compared to the Talley base..... If the picture is a true picture of the Leupold base, it looks like it only has 4 holes.....if there's 5 holes on the action I'd rather use all 5 than only 4.

I'm a big fan of over engineering, but, have you been having problems with four-hole 8X40 bases coming loose? Damn near every Remington 700 and clones use 4 holes and smaller screws, and work fine.

John Stark.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Nope, I've not had a problem. I'd still rather have the hole filled with a screw than sitting empty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope, I've not had a problem. I'd still rather have the hole filled with a screw than sitting empty.

Just received the Leupold mount.

It has five holes, and five screws.

and it was $25 less than the comparable Talley mount.

John Stark.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I'm a big fan of over engineering, but, have you been having problems with four-hole 8X40 bases coming loose? Damn near every Remington 700 and clones use 4 holes and smaller screws, and work fine.

The intent of the extra hole in the front was to provide flexibility of the position of the front mount, not for added strength. Thats just a side benefit when using a rail.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Just received the Leupold mount.

It has five holes, and five screws.

and it was $25 less than the comparable Talley mount.

Nice! Would you be so kind as to throw a caliper on the rear end of the base and measure the height? Would be interesting to see if the Leupold is any lower than the Talley.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure

John Stark.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks David!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Timely topic. I too am interested in the lowest possible rail/ring combo for a Fieldcraft.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m getting 0.380” in the back and 0.345” in the front.

John Stark.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It looks like the Talley flat base is ~.46 in the rear. A Talley 20 MOA base is ~.485 in the rear. These are mounted so I couldn't get the front....and could be a touch off on the rear measurements but should be pretty close.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Nice to know that the Leupold base also has the 5 holes. Thanks David!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Just to confirm, that is the height from the top of the receiver to the top of the rail?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prm

Just to confirm, that is the height from the top of the receiver to the top of the rail?

Not speaking for David but that is how I measured the Talley base. The receiver is rounded so I measured from the highest point of the rounded action to the top of the rail....it would measure higher across the lower edges (bottom of rounded edges) to the top.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, the rounded part is exactly what I was wondering about.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Those heights are pretty reasonable. Great find!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

79 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 673, 15 invisible), 1,126 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,482
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.